Arch Wiki Professional_audio

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Arch Wiki Professional_audio

Ralf Mardorf-4
Hi,

the Wiki [ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio ]
opens with...

"This article or section needs expansion." and a link to the
discussion, but I still don't understand what actually is missing.

...followed by an unrealistic claim about grotesque low latency.

The article included wrong information, I already removed

"If you want to use any MIDI hardware you need to ensure the ALSA MIDI
driver is loaded. You can set the MIDI driver to load at boot by
creating the file /etc/modules-load.d/alsamidi.conf containing:"

IIRC apart from a bug that caused that the driver wasn't loaded, the
driver always gets loaded automatically.

There are claims about rtc, 1000Hz. This was valid, but IMO should be
obsolete now.

Etc., pp. ...

I don't want to rewrite the Wiki, especially because I won't and/or
can't test every hint. Please contribute to the Wiki and/or to the
"This and that" discussion
[ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Professional_audio ].

Regards,
Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio

David Runge
On March 30, 2017 8:09:36 AM GMT+02:00, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>the Wiki [ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio ]
>opens with...
>
>"This article or section needs expansion." and a link to the
>discussion, but I still don't understand what actually is missing.
>
>...followed by an unrealistic claim about grotesque low latency.
>
>The article included wrong information, I already removed
>
>"If you want to use any MIDI hardware you need to ensure the ALSA MIDI
>driver is loaded. You can set the MIDI driver to load at boot by
>creating the file /etc/modules-load.d/alsamidi.conf containing:"
>
>IIRC apart from a bug that caused that the driver wasn't loaded, the
>driver always gets loaded automatically.
>
>There are claims about rtc, 1000Hz. This was valid, but IMO should be
>obsolete now.
>
>Etc., pp. ...
>
>I don't want to rewrite the Wiki, especially because I won't and/or
>can't test every hint. Please contribute to the Wiki and/or to the
>"This and that" discussion
>[ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Professional_audio ].
>
>Regards,
>Ralf

Hey Ralf,
You're right.
Many articles need expansion/ rewrite indeed.

I have some things to add. Did a talk about low-latency setups on Arch during Linux Audio Conference 2015.
There's some useful stuff in there, including realtime settings and systemd user service for JACK, that I just never committed.

Thanks for the reminder! ;-)

Best,
David
--
https://sleepmap.de
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio

arch general mailing list-2
On 2017年03月30日 09時51分, David Runge wrote:
>I have some things to add. Did a talk about low-latency setups on Arch during Linux Audio Conference 2015.
>There's some useful stuff in there, including realtime settings and systemd user service for JACK, that I just never committed.

This is the talk, right?

http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2015/video.php?id=60

It is right up my alley.  Thank you for mentioning it.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio

David Runge
On March 30, 2017 6:24:38 PM GMT+02:00, Grady Martin via arch-general <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 2017年03月30日 09時51分, David Runge wrote:
>>I have some things to add. Did a talk about low-latency setups on Arch
>during Linux Audio Conference 2015.
>>There's some useful stuff in there, including realtime settings and
>systemd user service for JACK, that I just never committed.
>
>This is the talk, right?
>
>http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2015/video.php?id=60
>
>It is right up my alley.  Thank you for mentioning it.

Exactly.

The stuff is also still available in AUR, even has seen some upgrades and I'm still using it successfully in large-scale and multichannel setups.

--
https://sleepmap.de
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio

Rashif Ray Rahman
Great to know there was a talk about Arch pro-audio in LAC! I think there
is a lot of information there that you can add to the wiki. I did a rewrite
once but as Ralf said, rewriting again can be quite difficult.

Ralf, David, and anyone else invested in pro-audio now -- let me hijack
this thread a bit: Can you guys have a look at https://linuxmusicians.com/
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17034 and see if you're interested in taking over the
ArchAudio project? Thanks.

On 30 March 2017 at 22:36, David Runge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On March 30, 2017 6:24:38 PM GMT+02:00, Grady Martin via arch-general <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >On 2017年03月30日 09時51分, David Runge wrote:
> >>I have some things to add. Did a talk about low-latency setups on Arch
> >during Linux Audio Conference 2015.
> >>There's some useful stuff in there, including realtime settings and
> >systemd user service for JACK, that I just never committed.
> >
> >This is the talk, right?
> >
> >http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2015/video.php?id=60
> >
> >It is right up my alley.  Thank you for mentioning it.
>
> Exactly.
>
> The stuff is also still available in AUR, even has seen some upgrades and
> I'm still using it successfully in large-scale and multichannel setups.
>
> --
> https://sleepmap.de
>



--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio

David Runge
On 2017-04-27 22:52:30 (+0600), Rashif Ray Rahman wrote:
> Great to know there was a talk about Arch pro-audio in LAC! I think there
> is a lot of information there that you can add to the wiki. I did a rewrite
> once but as Ralf said, rewriting again can be quite difficult.
Yeah, there will be even another this year, but mainly on Arch Linux ARM
on Raspberry Pi 3 (for teaching sound synthesis using the jack API and
C++) this time.

> Ralf, David, and anyone else invested in pro-audio now -- let me hijack
> this thread a bit: Can you guys have a look at https://linuxmusicians.com/
> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17034 and see if you're interested in taking over the
> ArchAudio project? Thanks.
Sounds great. Before the beginning of July I don't have much time
though, as I'm in the same boat you were in (thesis and all that
madness).

On the plus side: I have been using Arch for about 10 years now and it
would be nice to get a little more into packaging (aside from the AUR)
and signing.
I don't see myself going to use another distro for audio in the future,
so I'd be happy to revive it somehow.
Guess Ralf might also be interested (from reading a lot about real-time
kernels in his mails)?!

Well, you got my contact.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio

Ralf Mardorf-4
In reply to this post by Rashif Ray Rahman
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:52:30 +0600, Rashif Ray Rahman wrote:
>Can you guys have a look at
>https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17034 and see if you're
>interested in taking over the ArchAudio project?

Hi Ray,

after being long-term unemployed I'll sign up tomorrow or next week. I
will work full-time for at least 1½ years, so I not only have less
time, it's also an issue that I'm not used to this kind of inflexible
daily routine. In short, no, taking over ArchAudio is ill-timed.

Regards,
Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio

arch general mailing list-2
In reply to this post by David Runge
On 27 April 2017 at 23:16, David Runge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds great. Before the beginning of July I don't have much time
> though, as I'm in the same boat you were in (thesis and all that
> madness).
>
> On the plus side: I have been using Arch for about 10 years now and it
> would be nice to get a little more into packaging (aside from the AUR)
> and signing.
> I don't see myself going to use another distro for audio in the future,
> so I'd be happy to revive it somehow.
> Guess Ralf might also be interested (from reading a lot about real-time
> kernels in his mails)?!
>
> Well, you got my contact.

Ok thanks guys. @Ralf sure no obligation. @David I will let Jon know
about your potential interest.

P.S: Apologies for the top-posting and HTML, I forgot I had enabled
HTML for some "corporate" communication.


--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
Loading...