Arch32 mirror size

Tyler Dence
I was performing some server maintaince earlier, and I was shocked to find
the size of the 32bit repo was riviling that of the mainline repo,
containing both 32bit and 64bit packages. I had thought that the mirror
would be about half the size, given that there are about half as many
packages:

tyler@cdn:/var/www$ du -sh 32.arlm.tyzoid.com arlm.tyzoid.com
54G    32.arlm.tyzoid.com
58G    arlm.tyzoid.com

tyler@cdn:/var/www/32.arlm.tyzoid.com$ find . -name '*.sig' | wc -l
14026

tyler@cdn:/var/www/arlm.tyzoid.com$ find . -name '*.sig' | wc -l
34090

While not a huge deal, I am a bit surprised by this amount of disk space
used by packages.

Just to confirm:
tyler@cdn:/var/www/32.arlm.tyzoid.com/web$ du -sh *
2.7G    archisos
51G    i686
856K    irc-logs

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on here? Is this to be expected?
or is this an oversight/bug?

Thanks,
Tyler

Re: Arch32 mirror size

Erich Eckner
Hi,

On 08.06.2017 15:19, Tyzoid D wrote:

> I was performing some server maintaince earlier, and I was shocked to find
> the size of the 32bit repo was riviling that of the mainline repo,
> containing both 32bit and 64bit packages. I had thought that the mirror
> would be about half the size, given that there are about half as many
> packages:
>
> tyler@cdn:/var/www$ du -sh 32.arlm.tyzoid.com arlm.tyzoid.com
> 54G    32.arlm.tyzoid.com
> 58G    arlm.tyzoid.com
>
> tyler@cdn:/var/www/32.arlm.tyzoid.com$ find . -name '*.sig' | wc -l
> 14026
>
> tyler@cdn:/var/www/arlm.tyzoid.com$ find . -name '*.sig' | wc -l
> 34090
>
> While not a huge deal, I am a bit surprised by this amount of disk space
> used by packages.
>
> Just to confirm:
> tyler@cdn:/var/www/32.arlm.tyzoid.com/web$ du -sh *
> 2.7G    archisos
> 51G    i686
> 856K    irc-logs
>
> Anyone have any ideas what might be going on here? Is this to be expected?
> or is this an oversight/bug?

well, the issue currently is/was:

I'm currently trying to rebuild all packages available - so far ~60%
success - these reside in "staging" -> factor of 1.6

2nd: My script was somewhat buggy, not removing older versions from
"staging" (should be fixed, now) -> even bigger factor

Also note, that "any" packages are not duplicated on a mulit-arch
mirror, so your estimate of 50% is too low.

> Thanks,
> Tyler

cheers,
Erich

Re: Arch32 mirror size

Tyler Dence
On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Erich Eckner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> well, the issue currently is/was:
>
> I'm currently trying to rebuild all packages available - so far ~60%
> success - these reside in "staging" -> factor of 1.6
>
> 2nd: My script was somewhat buggy, not removing older versions from
> "staging" (should be fixed, now) -> even bigger factor

Sounds good. I had suspected something like that, but couldn't confirm it
without further investigation.

> Also note, that "any" packages are not duplicated on a mulit-arch
> mirror, so your estimate of 50% is too low.

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

> cheers,
> Erich

Thanks,