Quantcast

Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
Hey everyone,

Not to be impatient, but Ardour had another update today to version 5.6,
and the stable repo's only have version 4.7 and testing only has 5.4.

Nearly a month ago Ray Rashif promised to get 5.4 pushed to stable before
the end of the weekend, though that appears to have fallen by the wayside.

No criticism to Ray, as I am aware that he is was devoted to this thesis
defense, but I would really love to see this package updated as it is more
than a year out of date at this point.

 -Britt

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
Hey Britt,

We've kind of all experienced delayed package updates and I recommend
the following, it will let it take it's natural course!

1.) Flag it out of date, probably is already

2.) Inquire with the package maintainer directly over email and offer
suggestions or to help

3.) Seek a co-maintainer or become one yourself

--
Kind regards,

Donovan

On 02/11/2017 07:33 PM, Donovan Cameron via arch-general wrote:
> Hey Britt,
>
> We've kind of all experienced delayed package updates and I recommend
> the following, it will let it take it's natural course!
>
> 1.) Flag it out of date, probably is already

The maintainer is certainly aware, that much is plainly evident!
Flagging a package out-of-date does nothing other than make the
maintainer aware, it isn't some magic oldness-slaying bullet.

> 2.) Inquire with the package maintainer directly over email and offer
> suggestions or to help

I think we can safely assume from the tone of the email you are replying
to (and, for that matter, the previous emails in this mailing list on
the subject) that that has already been done.

> 3.) Seek a co-maintainer or become one yourself

How do you recommend someone become a co-maintainer of a package in the
[extra] repo, keeping in mind that becoming a TU requires considerably
more than the current maintainer's willingness to share? And TUs can
only push packages to [community], not [core] and [extra] ...

Please, helpful suggestions only! And keep in mind this is not the
aur-general mailing list, so AUR-specific advice is not helpful (and I
suspect ardour users don't want to see it dropped to the AUR either).

On 11/02/17 06:24 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> Please, helpful suggestions only! And keep in mind this is not the
> aur-general mailing list, so AUR-specific advice is not helpful (and I
> suspect ardour users don't want to see it dropped to the AUR either).
Um... sorry?

--
Kind regards,

Donovan

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
Hey all

There is no excuse for my tardiness here, thesis defense or not. I have
updated ardour now in testing. I will not delay pushing to extra this time.
Thanks for all your patience.

Best,
Ray

GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

Ralf Mardorf-4

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
Ralf,

No, thanks for pointing that out. Since we don't track master we'll have to
backport the particular fix if they don't tag a release.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1