Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
Hey everyone,

Not to be impatient, but Ardour had another update today to version 5.6,
and the stable repo's only have version 4.7 and testing only has 5.4.

Nearly a month ago Ray Rashif promised to get 5.4 pushed to stable before
the end of the weekend, though that appears to have fallen by the wayside.

No criticism to Ray, as I am aware that he is was devoted to this thesis
defense, but I would really love to see this package updated as it is more
than a year out of date at this point.

 -Britt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
Hey Britt,

We've kind of all experienced delayed package updates and I recommend
the following, it will let it take it's natural course!

1.) Flag it out of date, probably is already

2.) Inquire with the package maintainer directly over email and offer
suggestions or to help

3.) Seek a co-maintainer or become one yourself


On 11/02/17 05:10 PM, Britt Yazel via arch-general wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Not to be impatient, but Ardour had another update today to version 5.6,
> and the stable repo's only have version 4.7 and testing only has 5.4.
>
> Nearly a month ago Ray Rashif promised to get 5.4 pushed to stable before
> the end of the weekend, though that appears to have fallen by the wayside.
>
> No criticism to Ray, as I am aware that he is was devoted to this thesis
> defense, but I would really love to see this package updated as it is more
> than a year out of date at this point.
>
>   -Britt

--
Kind regards,

Donovan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
On 02/11/2017 07:33 PM, Donovan Cameron via arch-general wrote:
> Hey Britt,
>
> We've kind of all experienced delayed package updates and I recommend
> the following, it will let it take it's natural course!
>
> 1.) Flag it out of date, probably is already

The maintainer is certainly aware, that much is plainly evident!
Flagging a package out-of-date does nothing other than make the
maintainer aware, it isn't some magic oldness-slaying bullet.

> 2.) Inquire with the package maintainer directly over email and offer
> suggestions or to help

I think we can safely assume from the tone of the email you are replying
to (and, for that matter, the previous emails in this mailing list on
the subject) that that has already been done.

> 3.) Seek a co-maintainer or become one yourself

How do you recommend someone become a co-maintainer of a package in the
[extra] repo, keeping in mind that becoming a TU requires considerably
more than the current maintainer's willingness to share? And TUs can
only push packages to [community], not [core] and [extra] ...

Please, helpful suggestions only! And keep in mind this is not the
aur-general mailing list, so AUR-specific advice is not helpful (and I
suspect ardour users don't want to see it dropped to the AUR either).

--
Eli Schwartz


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
On 11/02/17 06:24 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> Please, helpful suggestions only! And keep in mind this is not the
> aur-general mailing list, so AUR-specific advice is not helpful (and I
> suspect ardour users don't want to see it dropped to the AUR either).
Um... sorry?


--
Kind regards,

Donovan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
Hey all

There is no excuse for my tardiness here, thesis defense or not. I have
updated ardour now in testing. I will not delay pushing to extra this time.
Thanks for all your patience.

Best,
Ray

On 12 February 2017 at 07:32, Donovan Cameron via arch-general <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/02/17 06:24 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>
>> Please, helpful suggestions only! And keep in mind this is not the
>> aur-general mailing list, so AUR-specific advice is not helpful (and I
>> suspect ardour users don't want to see it dropped to the AUR either).
>>
> Um... sorry?
>
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Donovan
>



--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

Ralf Mardorf-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
Ralf,

No, thanks for pointing that out. Since we don't track master we'll have to
backport the particular fix if they don't tag a release.

On 18 February 2017 at 10:57, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> did you notice this
>
> http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.
> org/2017-February/028286.html
>
> ?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
>
>
>


--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

Ralf Mardorf-4
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 11:37:46 +0600, Ray Rashif wrote:

>On 18 February 2017 at 10:57, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> did you notice this
>>
>> http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.
>> org/2017-February/028286.html
>>
>> ?
>Ralf,
>
>No, thanks for pointing that out. Since we don't track master we'll
>have to backport the particular fix if they don't tag a release.

Hi Ray,

they did provide a new version:

http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.org/2017-February/028297.html

I anyway build the Ardour package myself. However, most likely I'll stay
with

[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/archlinux pacman -Q ardour5
[snip]
ardour5 5.5-1

to avoid any risk for my current project that was started with
Ardour 5.5.

Regards,
Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

Ralf Mardorf-4
In reply to this post by arch general mailing list-2
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 11:37:46 +0600, Ray Rashif wrote:

>On 18 February 2017 at 10:57, Ralf Mardorf wrote:  
>> did you notice this
>>
>> http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.
>> org/2017-February/028286.html
>>
>> ?  
>Ralf,
>
>No, thanks for pointing that out. Since we don't track master we'll
>have to backport the particular fix if they don't tag a release.  

Hi Ray,

they provide a new version:

http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.org/2017-February/028297.html

I anyway build the Ardour package myself. However, most likely I'll stay
with

[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/archlinux pacman -Q ardour5
[snip]
ardour5 5.5-1

to avoid any risk for my current project that was started with
Ardour 5.5.

Regards,
Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

David Runge
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-4
Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
We're still at 4.7 in the repos.


[1] http://community.ardour.org/node/14325
--
https://sleepmap.de
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

David Runge
On 2017-03-01 15:16:32 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
> We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
> [1] http://community.ardour.org/node/14325
Oh well.... in case anyone's interested: There's a PKGBUILD and
ardour.desktop file attached to this e-mail... -_-

--
https://sleepmap.de

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

David Runge
On 2017-03-03 14:02:15 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> Oh well.... in case anyone's interested: There's a PKGBUILD and
> ardour.desktop file attached to this e-mail... -_-
Whoops, no attachments allowed.

$ cat ardour/PKGBUILD

pkgname=ardour
pkgver=5.8
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Professional-grade digital audio workstation"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="https://ardour.org/"
license=('GPL')
depends=('liblrdf' 'liblo' 'lilv' 'suil' 'taglib'
         'aubio' 'rubberband' 'gtkmm')
makedepends=('git' 'python2' 'boost' 'cppunit' 'doxygen' 'graphviz')
optdepends=('xjadeo: video monitoring'
            'harvid: video timeline')
source=("$pkgname-$pkgver::git+https://github.com/${pkgname^}/$pkgname.git#tag=$pkgver"
        "$pkgname.desktop")
sha256sums=('SKIP'
            '2573e9d286a12c11ad7ca131bad61b7504b6bde71f58f163f2bef9a41a4d353d')

prepare() {
  cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

  # python2 fix
  sed -i 's/python ${SRC}/python2 ${SRC}/' libs/pbd/wscript
}

build() {
  cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

  python2 waf configure --prefix=/usr \
                        --configdir=/etc \
                        --with-backends="jack,alsa" \
                        --libjack=weak \
                        --optimize \
                        --docs \
                        --cxx11 \
                        --no-phone-home

  python2 waf build $MAKEFLAGS
}

package() {
  cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"

  python2 waf install --destdir="$pkgdir"

  # install some freedesktop.org compatibility
  install -Dm644 "$srcdir/$pkgname.desktop" \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/$pkgname.desktop"
}

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:


$ cat ardour/ardour.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Ardour
Comment=Multitrack hard disk recorder
Exec=ardour5
Icon=/usr/share/ardour5/resources/Ardour-icon_256px.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
X-MultipleArgs=false
Categories=GTK;Audio;AudioVideoEditing;AudioVideo;Video;


I would really love to see this updated and in extra again!

--
https://sleepmap.de

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
In reply to this post by David Runge
On 03/03/2017 08:02 AM, David Runge wrote:
> On 2017-03-01 15:16:32 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
>> Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
>> We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
>> [1] http://community.ardour.org/node/14325
> Oh well.... in case anyone's interested: There's a PKGBUILD and
> ardour.desktop file attached to this e-mail... -_-

5.6 has been in [testing] for a while, if that helps.

--
Eli Schwartz


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

Ralf Mardorf-4
On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 08:59:28 -0500, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>On 03/03/2017 08:02 AM, David Runge wrote:
>> On 2017-03-01 15:16:32 (+0100), David Runge wrote:  
>>> Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
>>> We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
>>> [1] http://community.ardour.org/node/14325 
>> Oh well.... in case anyone's interested: There's a PKGBUILD and
>> ardour.desktop file attached to this e-mail... -_-  
>
>5.6 has been in [testing] for a while, if that helps.

No, it's broken, AFAIK users either should stay with 5.5 or upgrade to
5.8.

Regards,
Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

David Runge
In reply to this post by David Runge
On 2017-03-01 15:16:32 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
> We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
PING


--
https://sleepmap.de

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

David Runge
On 2017-03-16 12:26:36 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> On 2017-03-01 15:16:32 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> > Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
> > We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
> PING
Come on man... this is getting ridiculous.


--
https://sleepmap.de

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

Ralf Mardorf-4
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 11:07:00 +0100, David Runge wrote:
>On 2017-03-16 12:26:36 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
>> On 2017-03-01 15:16:32 (+0100), David Runge wrote:  
>> > Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
>> > We're still at 4.7 in the repos.  
>> PING  
>Come on man... this is getting ridiculous.

He's short in time ;).

In the meantime users could use
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ardour5/

Regards,
Ralf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

Rashif Ray Rahman
Sorry guys really no excuse other than "RL". Some of the other packagers
did help to update a few of my packages but ardour seems to have been
missed, most likely because it remained in testing. I have updated and
moved immediately to [extra].

On 22 March 2017 at 16:27, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 11:07:00 +0100, David Runge wrote:
> >On 2017-03-16 12:26:36 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> >> On 2017-03-01 15:16:32 (+0100), David Runge wrote:
> >> > Can we update to 5.8 [1] then?
> >> > We're still at 4.7 in the repos.
> >> PING
> >Come on man... this is getting ridiculous.
>
> He's short in time ;).
>
> In the meantime users could use
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ardour5/
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>



--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

David Runge
On 2017-04-26 16:09:00 (+0600), Rashif Ray Rahman wrote:
> Sorry guys really no excuse other than "RL". Some of the other packagers
> did help to update a few of my packages but ardour seems to have been
> missed, most likely because it remained in testing. I have updated and
> moved immediately to [extra].
Thanks!
That's much appreciated.

--
https://sleepmap.de

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ardour 5.6 released - status on update

arch general mailing list-2
now it's needed one year for 5.9 ?

2017-04-26 20:46 GMT+02:00 David Runge <[hidden email]>:

> On 2017-04-26 16:09:00 (+0600), Rashif Ray Rahman wrote:
> > Sorry guys really no excuse other than "RL". Some of the other packagers
> > did help to update a few of my packages but ardour seems to have been
> > missed, most likely because it remained in testing. I have updated and
> > moved immediately to [extra].
> Thanks!
> That's much appreciated.
>
> --
> https://sleepmap.de
>
12
Loading...