Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox

Tyler Dence
I'm starting to do some testing of the 32bit mirrors/installation media,
but I can't seem to get the 32bit iso booting correctly.

Since I can't copy/paste the error from virtualbox, here is a screenshot of
the kernel panic: http://i.imgur.com/AkmbpV0.png

I'll have another go with the dual-architecture install media, and I do
have some 32bit boxes I will try installing this on, but haven't had a
chance to do more extensive testing. I'm wondering if others are having
this problem on their systems/physical devices.

Thanks,
Tyler

Re: Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox

Mr Seth Price
Is EFI enabled in the settings?  I had a similar issue on my XPS 8700 till I enabled legacy BIOS.  Beats me as to why, though.
--Sterling
-------- Original message --------From: Tyzoid D <[hidden email]> Date: 10/06/2017  00:23  (GMT-04:00) To: Discussion regarding the porting of Arch Linux to non-x86_64 architectures <[hidden email]> Subject: [arch-ports] Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox
I'm starting to do some testing of the 32bit mirrors/installation media,
but I can't seem to get the 32bit iso booting correctly.

Since I can't copy/paste the error from virtualbox, here is a screenshot of
the kernel panic: http://i.imgur.com/AkmbpV0.png

I'll have another go with the dual-architecture install media, and I do
have some 32bit boxes I will try installing this on, but haven't had a
chance to do more extensive testing. I'm wondering if others are having
this problem on their systems/physical devices.

Thanks,
Tyler

Re: Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox

Tyler Dence
On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Mr Seth Price <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Is EFI enabled in the settings?  I had a similar issue on my XPS 8700
till I enabled legacy BIOS.  Beats me as to why, though.

No, it was disabled. It will not even boot to the grub interface unless EFI
is disabled. The screenshot was taken after selecting 'Boot Arch Linux
(i686)' and the startup process failing.

Additionally, the dual media seems to exhibit the same issue as the i686
only media.

Re: Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox

Erich Eckner
Hi Tyzoid,

thanks for testing. Can you confirm that the may iso still booted for you?

Then it must be some "hidden" error on my end:
The only thing that changed from may to june was the machine I build the
iso on :-/ (and of course, the packages are newer - but still the
official ones).

I also uploaded a new iso just to double-check (if 2017.06.01 doesn't
boot for you, 2017.06.11 should not boot, too).

cheers,
Erich

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Erich Eckner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tyzoid,
>
> thanks for testing. Can you confirm that the may iso still booted for you?

I haven't tested that one, I only grabbed the June one. I'm download that
now to test it.

> Then it must be some "hidden" error on my end:
> The only thing that changed from may to june was the machine I build the
> iso on :-/ (and of course, the packages are newer - but still the
> official ones).
>
> I also uploaded a new iso just to double-check (if 2017.06.01 doesn't
> boot for you, 2017.06.11 should not boot, too).

Downloading. I'll send a status update with the progress testing this along
with the 2017-05 one.

> cheers,
> Erich

Thanks for your work getting this running!

Cheers,
Tyler

Re: Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox

Tyler Dence
On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Erich Eckner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tyzoid,
>
> thanks for testing. Can you confirm that the may iso still booted for you?

Yup, this worked.

On to the next issue. I can't seem to get the pacman package to verify,
even after instructing it to download your key. Can you verify that the
package is not corrupt, as pacman claims?
http://i.imgur.com/Th0Amsg.png

> Then it must be some "hidden" error on my end:
> The only thing that changed from may to june was the machine I build the
> iso on :-/ (and of course, the packages are newer - but still the
> official ones).
>
> I also uploaded a new iso just to double-check (if 2017.06.01 doesn't
> boot for you, 2017.06.11 should not boot, too).

Thanks, 2017.06.11 had booted, but had the same kernel panic as before.

> cheers,
> Erich

Thanks,
Tyler

Re: Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox

Erich Eckner
Hi Tyler,

On 11.06.2017 23:49, Tyzoid D wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Erich Eckner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tyzoid,
>>
>> thanks for testing. Can you confirm that the may iso still booted for you?
>
> Yup, this worked.

Okay, now I have something to start at. I'll try to change the build
process on the current machine as close to the one on the old one. This
should be done within the next few days.

> On to the next issue. I can't seem to get the pacman package to verify,
> even after instructing it to download your key. Can you verify that the
> package is not corrupt, as pacman claims?
> http://i.imgur.com/Th0Amsg.png

You're already using the new mirror, aren't you? In that case, you need
to install archlinux32-keyring first on the installation medium (!).

The problem was, that I had to include archlinux32-keyring as a pacman
dependency, so it would get installed next to archlinux-keyring. But for
this, I have to recompile pacman and sign it with my build key. On the
other hand, the iso still uses the official packages - and especially
the official pacman package without archlinux32-keyring.

>> Then it must be some "hidden" error on my end:
>> The only thing that changed from may to june was the machine I build the
>> iso on :-/ (and of course, the packages are newer - but still the
>> official ones).
>>
>> I also uploaded a new iso just to double-check (if 2017.06.01 doesn't
>> boot for you, 2017.06.11 should not boot, too).
>
> Thanks, 2017.06.11 had booted, but had the same kernel panic as before.
>
> Thanks,
> Tyler

cheers,
Erich

On Jun 12, 2017 12:48 AM, "Erich Eckner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hi Tyler,
>
> Okay, now I have something to start at. I'll try to change the build
> process on the current machine as close to the one on the old one. This
> should be done within the next few days.

Sweet, thanks. I got your IRC message (though I was afk when you sent it),
and I tested the archlinux-2017.06.12-i686.iso image, which also segfaults
when starting up. Let me know if testing this on actual physical hardware
would be helpful for your debugging process.

> You're already using the new mirror, aren't you? In that case, you need
> to install archlinux32-keyring first on the installation medium (!).

Ah, I had thought archlinux-keyring would have been enough. It works after
installing the archlinux32-keyring, but it seems to need to be installed
manually via pacman -U. Pacman thinks that the package is corrupt unless
the package is installed, bit of a catch-22.

Here's a video documenting the my install process (using the
archlinux-2017.05.01-i686.iso image): https://youtu.be/LEPKi9vGKK8

> cheers,
> Erich

Thanks,
Tyler

Re: Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox

Erich Eckner
Hi,

> Sweet, thanks. I got your IRC message (though I was afk when you sent it),
> and I tested the archlinux-2017.06.12-i686.iso image, which also segfaults
> when starting up. Let me know if testing this on actual physical hardware
> would be helpful for your debugging process.

Hmm, this is strange: Now it's exactly the same build script on the same
machine as for the may iso :-/
I'm absolutely clueless what's wrong ... On the other hand, a segfault
would be a little harsh for a wrongly composed set of packages ... maybe
it's some conflict between the new kernel and the vm? :-/

>> You're already using the new mirror, aren't you? In that case, you need
>> to install archlinux32-keyring first on the installation medium (!).
>
> Ah, I had thought archlinux-keyring would have been enough. It works after
> installing the archlinux32-keyring, but it seems to need to be installed
> manually via pacman -U. Pacman thinks that the package is corrupt unless
> the package is installed, bit of a catch-22.

Its similar to archlinuxarm: There is the original archlinux-keyring
package as well as a archlinux32-keyring (or archlinuxarm-keyring in the
case of archlinuxarm). In the end, it will be a pacman dependency (in
contrast to archlinuxarm!?), so nothing to bother about - but the
current isos still use the official pacman package, so it needs to be
installed explicitely.

> Here's a video documenting the my install process (using the
> archlinux-2017.05.01-i686.iso image): https://youtu.be/LEPKi9vGKK8

This looks as I expect.

cheers,
Erich

Re: Booting i686 iso in VirtualBox

Tyler Dence
So a quick update on where this is.

We've figured out that the issue was caused by an update to the glibc
package in the mainline repos. Pinning this back to a known good version
allowed us to build working -i686.iso and -dual.iso images. These have been
put in the master repo and should be syncing elsewhere shortly.

Let us know if you have any issues with the new archlinux-2017.06.15-*.iso
images.

Thanks,
Tyler