Can not run kdesu kate

Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?

Thanks

Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
Twitter @ Nirjhor<http://twitter.com/nirjhor>

Re: Can not run kdesu kate

<[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>

> Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
> Twitter @ Nirjhor<http://twitter.com/nirjhor>

SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>

i'm not like, but works

Re: Can not run kdesu kate

arch general mailing list-2
Any idea why kdesu isn't working?

Sent from BlueMail<http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=10066>
On Jul 16, 2017, at 5:50 AM, sL1pKn07 SpinFlo via arch-general <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

<[hidden email]>:
 Hello,

 Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?

 Thanks

 Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
 Twitter @ Nirjhor<http://twitter.com/nirjhor>

SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>

i'm not like, but works

Re: Can not run kdesu kate

> Any idea why kdesu isn't working?
>
> Sent from BlueMail
> On Jul 16, 2017, at 5:50 AM, sL1pKn07 SpinFlo via arch-general
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>>  Hello,
>>>

>>>  Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate filename .
>>> When I enter this command it asks for a password and after that it does
>>> absolutely nothing. What can I do ?
>>>

>>>  Thanks
>>>

>>>  Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
>>>  Twitter @ Nirjhor<http://twitter.com/nirjhor>
>>

>> SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>
>>
>> i'm not like, but works

the "problem" is kate, not kdesudo or kdesu

https://cgit.kde.org/kate.git/commit/?id=9adcebd3c2e476c8a32e9b455cc99f46b0e12a7e

Re: Can not run kdesu kate

Ralf Mardorf-4
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 23:37:54 +0000, Junayeed Ahnaf wrote:
>Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate
>filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after
>that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?

Hi,

did you expect "sudo" or "su"? IOW did you type the correct password
"user" or "root" password? Did you run it from command line to get
detailed information?

On my system I've got "kdesu4" installed, but there is no "kdesu"
available.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /usr/bin/kdesu
ls: cannot access '/usr/bin/kdesu': No such file or directory
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /usr/bin/kdesu*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jul 12 09:41 /usr/bin/kdesu4 -> /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/kdesu4
/usr/bin/kdesu4 is owned by kdebase-runtime 17.04.3-1

So if I e.g. type

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ kdesu xed
bash: kdesu: command not found

I get "command not found".

Btw. I don't use it ;).

Seemingly the command "kdesu" does exist on your machine, but it seems
to be configured incorrectly.

Did you take care of

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sudo#kdesu

?

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Can not run kdesu kate

> On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 23:37:54 +0000, Junayeed Ahnaf wrote:
>>Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate
>>filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after
>>that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?
>
> Hi,
>
> did you expect "sudo" or "su"? IOW did you type the correct password
> "user" or "root" password? Did you run it from command line to get
> detailed information?
>
> On my system I've got "kdesu4" installed, but there is no "kdesu"
> available.
>
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /usr/bin/kdesu
> ls: cannot access '/usr/bin/kdesu': No such file or directory
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /usr/bin/kdesu*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jul 12 09:41 /usr/bin/kdesu4 -> /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qo /usr/bin/kdesu4
> /usr/bin/kdesu4 is owned by kdebase-runtime 17.04.3-1
>
> So if I e.g. type
>
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ kdesu xed
> bash: kdesu: command not found
>
> I get "command not found".
>
> Btw. I don't use it ;).
>
> Seemingly the command "kdesu" does exist on your machine, but it seems
> to be configured incorrectly.
>
> Did you take care of
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sudo#kdesu
>
> ?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

kdesu is part of kde-cli-tools from [extra]

Re: Can not run kdesu kate

Ralf Mardorf-4
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 01:54:51 +0200, sL1pKn07 SpinFlo via arch-general
wrote:
>the "problem" is kate, not kdesudo or kdesu
>
>https://cgit.kde.org/kate.git/commit/?id=9adcebd3c2e476c8a32e9b455cc99f46b0e12a7e

Good catch! So the OP should ignore my reply :).

Re: Can not run kdesu kate

Thanks ,

SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>

works :-)

> Freshly installed arch with KDE and I can not run kdesu kate filename . When I enter this command it asks for a password and after that it does absolutely nothing. What can I do ?
>

> Thanks
>

> Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
> Twitter @ Nirjhor<http://twitter.com/nirjhor>

SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>

i'm not like, but works

Re: Can not run kdesu kate

Antonio Rojas-2
There is no need whatsoever to run kate as root. Kate will ask for password as needed when trying to save a file to a write-only location.