Can't connect to the Arch Linux website

arch general mailing list-2
Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99. Is there something going on or is
it something from my end? only 2 things I could think of but seemed
unlikely was that my server was sending spam (which would be bad because
it would mean someone broke in, but I didn't notice anything in the logs)
or from checking out the ABS tree from the git server, but I've been doing
a shallow clone for the initial checkout (git clone --depth=1) and a shallow
fetch for updates (git fetch --depth=1, followed by a git reset --hard) to
try to avoid stressing out the git server. Was that still too much? Other
than those 2 possibilties, the only thing I can think of is that my ISP is
somehow screwing up again.

--
GPG Keys: https://keybase.io/pouar
Tox ID:

Re: Can't connect to the Arch Linux website

arch general mailing list-2
On 10.02.2018 16:46, thepouar--- via arch-general wrote:
> Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
> package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99.

Your IP is not being blocked by us. Could you tell me which URL you are
trying to reach? Also please run `getent ahosts $domain` and `mtr
--report --report-wide --show-ips --aslookup --report-cycles 100
$domain` and show me the output with $domain being "www.archlinux.org"
or "aur.archlinux.org" or similar.

FWIW I'm unable to ping you directly from multiple locations. Do you
have ping replies disabled or should that work?

Florian

Re: Can't connect to the Arch Linux website

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 09:46:27 -0600
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
> package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99. Is there something going on or is
> it something from my end? only 2 things I could think of but seemed
> unlikely was that my server was sending spam (which would be bad because
> it would mean someone broke in, but I didn't notice anything in the logs)
> or from checking out the ABS tree from the git server, but I've been doing
> a shallow clone for the initial checkout (git clone --depth=1) and a shallow
> fetch for updates (git fetch --depth=1, followed by a git reset --hard) to
> try to avoid stressing out the git server. Was that still too much? Other
> than those 2 possibilties, the only thing I can think of is that my ISP is
> somehow screwing up again.

ok, it seems to be a DNS issue on my end, as the problem goes away after
adding the site's ip adddress to /etc/hosts

--
GPG Keys: https://keybase.io/pouar
Tox ID:
2EA7A6D5494C10B2E0F32004A1E9CBD971777E551A902059E5EA7E73E5A299272F29D9FF5F6A
Matrix ID: @Pouar:matrix.org Social Links: https://www.pouar.net/social.php

Re: Can't connect to the Arch Linux website

arch general mailing list-2
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:18:17 -0600
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 09:46:27 -0600
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
> > package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99. Is there something going on or is
> > it something from my end? only 2 things I could think of but seemed
> > unlikely was that my server was sending spam (which would be bad because
> > it would mean someone broke in, but I didn't notice anything in the logs)
> > or from checking out the ABS tree from the git server, but I've been doing
> > a shallow clone for the initial checkout (git clone --depth=1) and a shallow
> > fetch for updates (git fetch --depth=1, followed by a git reset --hard) to
> > try to avoid stressing out the git server. Was that still too much? Other
> > than those 2 possibilties, the only thing I can think of is that my ISP is
> > somehow screwing up again.
> >

> ok, it seems to be a DNS issue on my end, as the problem goes away after
> adding the site's ip adddress to /etc/hosts

Seems to be related to IPv6 as it works when I disable it

--
GPG Keys: https://keybase.io/pouar
Tox ID:
2EA7A6D5494C10B2E0F32004A1E9CBD971777E551A902059E5EA7E73E5A299272F29D9FF5F6A
Matrix ID: @Pouar:matrix.org Social Links: https://www.pouar.net/social.php

Re: Can't connect to the Arch Linux website

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 18:03:43 +0100
Florian Pritz via arch-general <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10.02.2018 16:46, thepouar--- via arch-general wrote:
> > Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
> > package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99.
>
> Your IP is not being blocked by us. Could you tell me which URL you are
> trying to reach? Also please run `getent ahosts $domain` and `mtr
> --report --report-wide --show-ips --aslookup --report-cycles 100
> $domain` and show me the output with $domain being "www.archlinux.org"
> or "aur.archlinux.org" or similar.
>
> FWIW I'm unable to ping you directly from multiple locations. Do you
> have ping replies disabled or should that work?
>
> Florian

Just enabled it, didn't know it was off. I managed to work around the issue
by modifying /etc/gai.conf to prefer IPv4 over IPv6