Can we have optional deps on AUR packages?

Can we have optional deps on AUR packages?

Sven-Hendrik Haase
I just wanted to clear this up with the other TUs: Is it ok for [community]
packages to have optional deps on AUR packages or not?

Re: Can we have optional deps on AUR packages?

Bartłomiej Piotrowski-3
On 2017-04-19 19:55, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> I just wanted to clear this up with the other TUs: Is it ok for [community]
> packages to have optional deps on AUR packages or not?

I used to loudly oppose that, but now I think it's fine as long as the
description states that given optdep is in AUR.

I guess arch-dev-public is better place for this discussion.

Bartłomiej

Re: Can we have optional deps on AUR packages?

Jelle van der Waa-2
On 04/19/17 at 08:01pm, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2017-04-19 19:55, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> > I just wanted to clear this up with the other TUs: Is it ok for [community]
> > packages to have optional deps on AUR packages or not?
> >

> I used to loudly oppose that, but now I think it's fine as long as the
> description states that given optdep is in AUR.

I disagree, optdeps from the AUR would seem to be supported except that
they are not. So it would be a lot better to just move those packages to
[community], which is faster and easier for users.

> I guess arch-dev-public is better place for this discussion.

Yes

P.S. I noticed that for ansible you already started mentioning the AUR
in optdeps. Why start implementing it before we actually came to a
solution?!

--
Jelle van der Waa

On 19 April 2017 at 20:36, Jelle van der Waa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> P.S. I noticed that for ansible you already started mentioning the AUR

in optdeps. Why start implementing it before we actually came to a
> solution?!

Because I'm going to have the optdeps there anyway and in this thread we
either agree that the current way is ok (in which case I don't have to
change anything) or we decide that it's not ok and then I'm going to pull
in the optdeps into [community].

I'm going to re-start this discussion in arch-dev-public in case some
people are not subscribed to aur-general.