[DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

[DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

Bartłomiej Piotrowski-3
There we go. Far from perfect, happy to hear suggestions from spirits of
poetry.

---

Due to high maintenance costs of rsync server and scripts related to
Arch Build System, we have decided to deprecate the `abs` tool and rsync
as endorsed way of obtaining PKGBUILDs tree.

The `asp` tool, available in [extra], provides similar functionality to
`abs`.  `asp export pkgname` can be used as direct alternative; more
information about usage can be found in [its documentation][asp].
Additionally Subversion sparse checkouts, as described [here][svn], can
be used to achieve similar effect.  For fetching all PKGBUILDs, the best
way is cloning [svntogit][git] mirrors.

While `extra/abs` package has been already dropped, rsync endpoint will
be disabled by the end of the month.

[asp]: https://github.com/falconindy/asp/blob/master/man/asp.1.txt
[svn]: https://www.archlinux.org/svn/
[git]: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/

Re: [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

arch dev mailing list
On 09.05.2017 11:08, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> There we go. Far from perfect, happy to hear suggestions from spirits of
> poetry.
>
> ---

I'm not a poet, but let's try.

Also I'm not entirely sure if there is only one rsync endpoint. When
running `rsync rsync://rsync.archlinux.org` I see core, extra,
community, .., *svn endpoints. Maybe those need cleanup too.

---

Due to high maintenance cost of scripts related to the Arch Build
System, we have decided to deprecate the `abs` tool and thus rsync
as a way of obtaining PKGBUILDs.

The `asp` tool, available in [extra], provides similar functionality to
`abs`.  `asp export pkgname` can be used as direct alternative; more
information about its usage can be found in [the documentation][asp].
Additionally Subversion sparse checkouts, as described [here][svn], can
be used to achieve a similar effect.  For fetching all PKGBUILDs, the
best way is cloning the [svntogit][git] mirrors.

While the `extra/abs` package has been already dropped, the rsync
endpoint (rsync://rsync.archlinux.org/abs) will be disabled by the end

Yeah, sounds better, thanks. Looking at rsyncd.conf, core/extra/etc are
exposing packages, {community,packages}svn allow IP that doesn't point
to any server we use currently so I will just drop these them.

On 2017-05-10 04:27, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general wrote:
> You should clarify if this affect user cloning the servers repos by
> rsync to set they non-tiered local repos (*.pkg.tag.xzs) or just the
> pkgbuilds repo clones (PKGBUILDs).
That's better phrased in Florian's revision, but both mention PKGBUILDs,
so I'm not sure if there is anything more to explain.

> Also mention devtools still depend on subversion despite you mention
> that for cloning one should use git, that intentional or
> inconsistenty?
devtools depending on svn has nothing to do with ABS; the paragraph you
refer to describes methods of obtaining full PKGBUILDs tree.

Bartłomiej

On 2017-05-09 11:59, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:

> On 2017-05-09 11:36, Florian Pritz via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> On 09.05.2017 11:08, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
>>> There we go. Far from perfect, happy to hear suggestions from spirits of
>>> poetry.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>

>> I'm not a poet, but let's try.
>>
>> Also I'm not entirely sure if there is only one rsync endpoint. When
>> running `rsync rsync://rsync.archlinux.org` I see core, extra,
>> community, .., *svn endpoints. Maybe those need cleanup too.
>>
> Yeah, sounds better, thanks. Looking at rsyncd.conf, core/extra/etc are
> exposing packages, {community,packages}svn allow IP that doesn't point
> to any server we use currently so I will just drop these them.

I'm going to publish Florian's version tomorrow around the lunch.

Re: [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

Giancarlo Razzolini-2
Em maio 14, 2017 13:57 Bartłomiej Piotrowski escreveu:

> I'm going to publish Florian's version tomorrow around the lunch.

Hi Bartłomiej,

   Can you ping me on IRC when you do it? I want to confirm our news email is working
   correctly. It was put on prod for more than a month now, but there wasn't any news.

   We should correctly get an email on arch-announce.

Thanks,
Giancarlo Razzolini

Re: [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

Andrea Scarpino
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There we go. Far from perfect, happy to hear suggestions from spirits of
> poetry.
>
> ---
>
> Due to high maintenance costs of rsync server and scripts related to
> Arch Build System, we have decided to deprecate the `abs` tool and rsync
> as endorsed way of obtaining PKGBUILDs tree.
>
> The `asp` tool, available in [extra], provides similar functionality to
> `abs`.  `asp export pkgname` can be used as direct alternative; more
> information about usage can be found in [its documentation][asp].
> Additionally Subversion sparse checkouts, as described [here][svn], can
> be used to achieve similar effect.  For fetching all PKGBUILDs, the best
> way is cloning [svntogit][git] mirrors.
>
> While `extra/abs` package has been already dropped, rsync endpoint will
> be disabled by the end of the month.
>
> [asp]: https://github.com/falconindy/asp/blob/master/man/asp.1.txt
> [svn]: https://www.archlinux.org/svn/
> [git]: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/

I think this also means srcpac[1] is deprecated now.

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/srcpac/

--
Andrea