Deprecation of pam_unix2

arch dev mailing list
Hi team,

During libnsl rebuild heftig pointed out that we are shipping pam_unix2
that has been dead upstream for a long time (to the point that it's
being built from our own mirror now). I'm also unwilling to spend time
to fix its configure.ac to make it build with libnsl and libtirpc correctly.

Unless someone's life depends on it, I'd like to drop it from repositories.

Bartłomiej

Re: Deprecation of pam_unix2

arch dev mailing list
On 2018-04-16 13:02, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> During libnsl rebuild heftig pointed out that we are shipping pam_unix2
> that has been dead upstream for a long time (to the point that it's
> being built from our own mirror now). I'm also unwilling to spend time
> to fix its configure.ac to make it build with libnsl and libtirpc
> correctly.
>
> Unless someone's life depends on it, I'd like to drop it from repositories.
>
> Bartłomiej

(Note it's not packaged separately and ships as part of core/pam.)

While on it, I'm dropping pam_unix_{acct,auth_passwd,session}.so
symlinks from pam package that are also relics of the distant past.

Bartłomiej

Re: Deprecation of pam_unix2

arch dev mailing list
On 04/16/2018 07:24 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:

> On 2018-04-16 13:02, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> Hi team,
>>
>> During libnsl rebuild heftig pointed out that we are shipping
>> pam_unix2 that has been dead upstream for a long time (to the point
>> that it's being built from our own mirror now). I'm also unwilling to
>> spend time to fix its configure.ac to make it build with libnsl and
>> libtirpc correctly.
>>
>> Unless someone's life depends on it, I'd like to drop it from
>> repositories.
>>
>> Bartłomiej
>
> (Note it's not packaged separately and ships as part of core/pam.)
>
> While on it, I'm dropping pam_unix_{acct,auth_passwd,session}.so
> symlinks from pam package that are also relics of the distant past.
>
> Bartłomiej
This reminds me we also have a request to drop pam_tally in our default
config, in favor of pam_tally2.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/42120