Disable auto-detection of a specific monitor

Disable auto-detection of a specific monitor

Maxence Sartiaux
Hello,

I'd like to know if there's a possibility to disable the auto-detection of a specific monitor / output.

I explain my case, i have three monitor & a KVM PCI-Passthrough setup for gaming.

When i start my vm i turn off my principal monitor via a libvirtd hook and it switch to windows.
My second screen have a KVM switch between arch GPU & Windows GPU
Third screen only on arch.

When i switch the KVM for the second screen, Xorg re-detect my primary screen and turn it On, but i can't see all my windows because the monitor is still switched on the Windows GPU.

My arch GPU is a GTX980 running on proprietary drivers.

Thank you

Have a good day.

Re: Disable auto-detection of a specific monitor

Sean Greenslade-2
On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 01:23:20AM +0200, Maxence Sartiaux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know if there's a possibility to disable the
> auto-detection of a specific monitor / output.
>
> I explain my case, i have three monitor & a KVM PCI-Passthrough setup
> for gaming.
>
> When i start my vm i turn off my principal monitor via a libvirtd hook
> and it switch to windows.  My second screen have a KVM switch between
> arch GPU & Windows GPU Third screen only on arch.
>
> When i switch the KVM for the second screen, Xorg re-detect my primary
> screen and turn it On, but i can't see all my windows because the
> monitor is still switched on the Windows GPU.
>
> My arch GPU is a GTX980 running on proprietary drivers.

You could write a script / set of scripts that issue the appropriate
xrandr commands to enable / disable that monitor output.

For example, I have the following bash aliases on my laptop to enable /
disable the VGA output:

  alias extendvga='xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --right-of eDP1; xrandr --output eDP1 --primary'
  alias retractvga='xrandr --output VGA1 --off'

--Sean