G5?

Steven DuBois
I installed Arch on my x86 Desktop and my macbook and i love it. I attempted to install Debian on
my G5 PowerMac but had no luck (yaboot problems). What I would like to know is how well does Arch
work on a G5, does anyone here use it on a regular basis, and what are the challenges to
installing it. Eventually, I would like to stop using OS X.

Re: G5?

michelcuppens
Op Monday 23 June 2008 09:25:04 schreef Steven DuBois:

> I installed Arch on my x86 Desktop and my macbook and i love it. I
> attempted to install Debian on my G5 PowerMac but had no luck (yaboot
> problems). What I would like to know is how well does Arch work on a G5,
> does anyone here use it on a regular basis, and what are the challenges to
> installing it. Eventually, I would like to stop using OS X.

Arch PPC is 32 bit only, so it does NOT work on a G5.I have Debian running on
an Imac G5 and it installed without the slightest problem (it is a Debian
only machine).
There have been more posts, with possible solutions, on this topic so a search
for G5 or Apple 64 bit in the forum could help.

Re: G5?

Alexander Baldeck
mc wrote:

> Op Monday 23 June 2008 09:25:04 schreef Steven DuBois:
>> I installed Arch on my x86 Desktop and my macbook and i love it. I
>> attempted to install Debian on my G5 PowerMac but had no luck (yaboot
>> problems). What I would like to know is how well does Arch work on a G5,
>> does anyone here use it on a regular basis, and what are the challenges to
>> installing it. Eventually, I would like to stop using OS X.

> Arch PPC is 32 bit only, so it does NOT work on a G5.I have Debian running on
> an Imac G5 and it installed without the slightest problem (it is a Debian
> only machine).
> There have been more posts, with possible solutions, on this topic so a search
> for G5 or Apple 64 bit in the forum could help.

Actually it does, it most probably would require to build a 64bit kernel
with 32bit emulation enabled. I have no idea how yaboot would fail on a
G5 as I don't have any.

I can say this much though, archppc works just fine on my ps3 with a
powerpc64 kernel, although I wouldn't recommend running it if you expect
performance.

Cheers,

Alex

Re: G5?

Steven DuBois
How would I go about compiling my own kernel on a PPC?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 01:12:26PM +0200, Alexander Baldeck wrote:

> mc wrote:
> > Op Monday 23 June 2008 09:25:04 schreef Steven DuBois:
> >> I installed Arch on my x86 Desktop and my macbook and i love it. I
> >> attempted to install Debian on my G5 PowerMac but had no luck (yaboot
> >> problems). What I would like to know is how well does Arch work on a G5,
> >> does anyone here use it on a regular basis, and what are the challenges to
> >> installing it. Eventually, I would like to stop using OS X.

> > Arch PPC is 32 bit only, so it does NOT work on a G5.I have Debian running on
> > an Imac G5 and it installed without the slightest problem (it is a Debian
> > only machine).
> > There have been more posts, with possible solutions, on this topic so a search
> > for G5 or Apple 64 bit in the forum could help.
>
> Actually it does, it most probably would require to build a 64bit kernel
> with 32bit emulation enabled. I have no idea how yaboot would fail on a
> G5 as I don't have any.
>
> I can say this much though, archppc works just fine on my ps3 with a
> powerpc64 kernel, although I wouldn't recommend running it if you expect
> performance.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex

Re: G5?

Alexander Baldeck
Steven DuBois wrote:
> How would I go about compiling my own kernel on a PPC?

If you have an existing install that works on your ppc, check if your
toolchain supports 64bit:

   $ vi test.c
     int main() {
         return 0;
     }
   $ gcc -m64 -o test test.c

If it compiles w/o complaining you should be able to build a kernel for
powerpc64.

Your .config has to include:

CONFIG_PPC64=y
CONFIG_PPC=y

With this kernel built, install image and modules onto a usb stick, boot
up and install arch and configure this kernel & modules for your
preferred bootloader. Indepth knowledge about this procedure can be
found all over the place I'm sure. ^^

Cheers,

-G