GDM

Frank Zimmermann
Hi there,

since update to 3.14 I cannot log on with the keyboard in GDM. It works
when using the screen keyboard or when loggin in the console:-O

KR Frank

Re: GDM

akendo
Am 2014-11-05 20:38, schrieb Frank Zimmermann:
> Hi there,
>
> since update to 3.14 I cannot log on with the keyboard in GDM. It works
> when using the screen keyboard or when loggin in the console:-O
>
> KR Frank

Hi maybe you have an german keyboard layout? I think with the update of
gnome the german keyboard layout will be overwritten.
German link:
http://linuxundich.de/gnu-linux/nach-update-auf-gnome-3-14-englisches-tastaturlayout-gdm/

best regards
Akendo

Re: GDM

Frank Zimmermann
Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2014, 21:25 +0100 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi maybe you have an german keyboard layout? I think with the update of
> gnome the german keyboard layout will be overwritten.
> German link:
> http://linuxundich.de/gnu-linux/nach-update-auf-gnome-3-14-englisches-tastaturlayout-gdm/
>

> best regards
> Akendo

Yes I do have a German keyboard layout. However, the link you sent is of
no help since when I followit I do not have the chance to change the
keyboard settings for GDM (Anmeldebildschirm).
For the non Geman speaking readres, the link suggest to go to
settings-keyboard. In the bottom left is a link that leads to the
language and region settings where on the screenshot of Akendo's link
there is the opportunity to click on the top right on login view whichI
do not have :-O

KR Frank

Re: GDM

Frank Zimmermann
Am Donnerstag, den 06.11.2014, 06:07 +0100 schrieb Frank Zimmermann:

> Yes I do have a German keyboard layout. However, the link you sent is of
> no help since when I followit I do not have the chance to change the
> keyboard settings for GDM (Anmeldebildschirm).
> For the non Geman speaking readres, the link suggest to go to
> settings-keyboard. In the bottom left is a link that leads to the
> language and region settings where on the screenshot of Akendo's link
> there is the opportunity to click on the top right on login view whichI
> do not have :-O
>
> KR Frank

This is really weird. I've checked on another machine and there is the
possibility to change keyboard layout for GDM in the Gnome Control
Center, but not here!
KR Frank

Re: GDM

Armin K.
On 11/12/2014 08:08 PM, Frank Zimmermann wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 06.11.2014, 06:07 +0100 schrieb Frank Zimmermann:
>

>> Yes I do have a German keyboard layout. However, the link you sent is of
>> no help since when I followit I do not have the chance to change the
>> keyboard settings for GDM (Anmeldebildschirm).
>> For the non Geman speaking readres, the link suggest to go to
>> settings-keyboard. In the bottom left is a link that leads to the
>> language and region settings where on the screenshot of Akendo's link
>> there is the opportunity to click on the top right on login view whichI
>> do not have :-O
>>
>> KR Frank
>>

> This is really weird. I've checked on another machine and there is the
> possibility to change keyboard layout for GDM in the Gnome Control
> Center, but not here!
> KR Frank

Do you have IBus installed?

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.

Re: GDM

Frank Zimmermann
Am Mittwoch, den 12.11.2014, 20:51 +0100 schrieb Armin K.:

> > This is really weird. I've checked on another machine and there is the
> > possibility to change keyboard layout for GDM in the Gnome Control
> > Center, but not here!
> > KR Frank
> >

> Do you have IBus installed?

Now I have without any difference.

KR Frank

Re: GDM

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 08:02:37 +0100
Frank Zimmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 12.11.2014, 20:51 +0100 schrieb Armin K.:
>

> > > This is really weird. I've checked on another machine and there
> > > is the possibility to change keyboard layout for GDM in the Gnome
> > > Control Center, but not here!
> > > KR Frank
> > >

> > Do you have IBus installed?
> >

> Now I have without any difference.

Did you set up the keyboard layout by a X config? If not, try this:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "keyboard"
       MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
       Option "XkbLayout" "de"
       #Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"

JFTR did you try to log in by "translating" the us keyboard mapping to
the German one? You can search for the correct keys by simply pushing
the keys, when you're ask for the username, chars as e.g. "-" are
somewhere else on a German keyboard.

Re: GDM

Frank Zimmermann
Am Donnerstag, den 13.11.2014, 08:21 +0100 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> Did you set up the keyboard layout by a X config? If not, try this:
>
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
> Section "InputClass"
>        Identifier "keyboard"
>        MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
>        Option "XkbLayout" "de"
>        #Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"

doesn't do the trick

> JFTR did you try to log in by "translating" the us keyboard mapping to
> the German one? You can search for the correct keys by simply pushing
> the keys, when you're ask for the username, chars as e.g. "-" are
> somewhere else on a German keyboard.

yes that works.

Still there's something wrong I suppose with gnome-control-center.

KR Frank

Re: GDM

Ralf Mardorf-3
IMHO you shouldn't waste your time with fixing this issue.

I'm using lightdm with the lightdm-gtk3-greeter, it's possible to use it
without a greeter and JFTR there's also lightdm-gtk2-greeter available
and IIRC a few others.

Btw. I don't know if there is the need to install a X driver or if it's
already installed as a Xorg dependency, to get the Xorg conf for a
keyboard working.

I run into the same issue as you in the past, but I don't remember what
display manager I used. Unfortunately my user password includes two
chars that are different for my DE keyboard, when I need to login with
US settings.

Re: GDM

Martin Kühne
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> IMHO you shouldn't waste your time with fixing this issue.

Strong words for somebody who modifies his CHOST in his MUA. xD
Using y, z and special characters in all my passwords, thanks for
making Frank look bad here.

cheers!
mar77i

Re: GDM

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:39:35 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IMHO you shouldn't waste your time with fixing this issue.
>
> I'm using lightdm with the lightdm-gtk3-greeter, it's possible to use
> it without a greeter and JFTR there's also lightdm-gtk2-greeter
> available and IIRC a few others.
>
> Btw. I don't know if there is the need to install a X driver or if
> it's already installed as a Xorg dependency, to get the Xorg conf for
> a keyboard working.
>
> I run into the same issue as you in the past, but I don't remember
> what display manager I used. Unfortunately my user password includes
> two chars that are different for my DE keyboard, when I need to login
> with US settings.

PS: On another install I use KDM, it also doesn't cause trouble.

Re: GDM

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:47:46 +0100
Martti Kühne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Using y, z and special characters in all my passwords, thanks for
> making Frank look bad here.

I didn't, I use special character for my password and run into the same
issue several times.

Re: GDM

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:58:17 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:47:46 +0100
> Martti Kühne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Using y, z and special characters in all my passwords, thanks for
> > making Frank look bad here.
>
> I didn't, I use special character for my password and run into the
> same issue several times.

IOW I don't recommend to change the password, I recommend to change the
display manager ;).

Re: GDM

Martin Kühne
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:58:17 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:47:46 +0100
>> Martti Kühne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Using y, z and special characters in all my passwords, thanks for
>> > making Frank look bad here.
>>
>> I didn't, I use special character for my password and run into the
>> same issue several times.
>
> IOW I don't recommend to change the password, I recommend to change the
> display manager ;).

You're not making it better by suggesting to install pulseaudio.
Are you Lennart's long lost little brother?

cheers!
mar77i

Re: GDM

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 12:06:46 +0100
Martti Kühne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:58:17 +0100
> > Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I didn't, I use special character for my password and run into the
> >> same issue several times.
> >
> > IOW I don't recommend to change the password, I recommend to change
> > the display manager ;).
>

> You're not making it better by suggesting to install pulseaudio.
> Are you Lennart's long lost little brother?

My apologies, I didn't think about that.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi pulseaudio
Name           : pulseaudio
Version        : 2013.08.18-1
Description    : Dummy package
[snip]

I don't care if a package has got a hard dependency to PA or if not.

Since the OP is using GDM, I suspect he anyway has got a hard dependency
to PA, unless he isn't using

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi gnome-settings-daemon-nopulse
Name           : gnome-settings-daemon-nopulse
Version        : 3.14.1-1
Description    : The GNOME Settings daemon without PulseAudio
[snip]

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si gdm
[snip]
Depends On     : gnome-shell
[snip]
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si gnome-shell
[snip]
Depends On     : [snip] gnome-settings-daemon [snip]

Regards,
Ralf

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> IMHO you shouldn't waste your time with fixing this issue.

Actually changing display managers won't necessarily solve the problem
concerning the keyboard layout. Setting the correct layout and variant
in xorg.conf{,.d/10-evdev.conf} is the right track after all.

cheers!
mar77i

[solved] GDM

Frank Zimmermann
Am Freitag, den 14.11.2014, 13:16 +0100 schrieb Martti Kühne:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > IMHO you shouldn't waste your time with fixing this issue.
> >

> Actually changing display managers won't necessarily solve the problem
> concerning the keyboard layout. Setting the correct layout and variant
> in xorg.conf{,.d/10-evdev.conf} is the right track after all.
>
> cheers!
> mar77i

systemd-localed was setting the X11 keyboard layout to en. With the tool
localectl this can be changed and it's working now.

KR Frank