Greetings and Documentation Proposals

tur-users mailing list
Hello, fellow Archers. My name is Brett and I've been making PKGBUILDs
for the AUR for some time under the moniker 'Ainola'. A number of these
packages have been kindly pulled into [community] by David Runge. I've
since had a desire to get some of my other packages into [community], so
I'm interested in working towards getting TU status. I'm also involved
in the LibreOffice community (I just got back from the conference in
Albania).

David has been kind enough to give suggestions to my current packages;
I'd love to nab some other packages throughout the AUR, improve them,
and get them included in the repositories for mass consumption.

I would also like to improve the documentation for the devtools: There
are no manpages, /usr/share/docs/ items, or wiki articles. Unless I'm
mistaken it appears that the only documentation that currently exists is
just invoking the program with -h. I'd like to fix that. :)

Re: Greetings and Documentation Proposals

tur-users mailing list
On 10/7/18 11:41 AM, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
> Hello, fellow Archers. My name is Brett and I've been making PKGBUILDs
> for the AUR for some time under the moniker 'Ainola'. A number of these
> packages have been kindly pulled into [community] by David Runge. I've
> since had a desire to get some of my other packages into [community], so
> I'm interested in working towards getting TU status.

Well, good luck and maybe one day soon you'll decide the time is ripe to
submit an application. :)

> David has been kind enough to give suggestions to my current packages;
> I'd love to nab some other packages throughout the AUR, improve them,
> and get them included in the repositories for mass consumption.

Great. :) Always nice to have people interested in contributing more. If
you'd like general suggestions, feel free to submit your PKGBUILDs for
review on this mailing list, as I and several other people will be more
than willing to criticize^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^Wcritique everything you do. :D

Also make sure to do so before your application, so that once you do
apply, you can pretend your packages are already perfect and therefore
we should all vote for you. :D

> I would also like to improve the documentation for the devtools: There
> are no manpages, /usr/share/docs/ items, or wiki articles. Unless I'm
> mistaken it appears that the only documentation that currently exists is
> just invoking the program with -h. I'd like to fix that. :)

Jelle has submitted several patches to the arch-projects mailing list,
to add manpages to devtools programs.

I'd encourage you to coordinate with him, except for the highly
unfortunate fact that we have 12 people with commit access to devtools,
and 0 people with an *interest* in reviewing patches. (Admittedly this
does include a couple people who are retired or as good as, but it
mostly seems to be people who were very active in devtools... years
ago...) It's simply not worth the investment in time or energy to
attempt to improve devtools except for urgent bugfixes that actually
prevent Devs and TUs from adding packages to the repositories.

I have struggled with this myself.

Sorry. :(

Wiki pages are something you can do without relying on a devtools
maintainer to suddenly materialize and accept your patches. I'd suggest
devoting your efforts there.

Re: Greetings and Documentation Proposals

David Runge
On October 7, 2018 5:41:41 PM GMT+02:00, Brett Cornwall via aur-general <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello, fellow Archers. My name is Brett and I've been making PKGBUILDs
>for the AUR for some time under the moniker 'Ainola'. A number of these
>
>packages have been kindly pulled into [community] by David Runge. I've
>since had a desire to get some of my other packages into [community],
>so
>I'm interested in working towards getting TU status. I'm also involved
>in the LibreOffice community (I just got back from the conference in
>Albania).
>
>David has been kind enough to give suggestions to my current packages;
>I'd love to nab some other packages throughout the AUR, improve them,
>and get them included in the repositories for mass consumption.
>
>I would also like to improve the documentation for the devtools: There
>are no manpages, /usr/share/docs/ items, or wiki articles. Unless I'm
>mistaken it appears that the only documentation that currently exists
>is
>just invoking the program with -h. I'd like to fix that. :)

I hereby ACK my sponsorship!

Let the discussion begin :-)
https://sleepmap.de

On 2018-10-07 20:06:47 (+0200), David Runge wrote:
> I hereby ACK my sponsorship!
>
> Let the discussion begin :-)
As there has been quite a misunderstanding on my side, regarding when
and how Brett wanted to apply to become a TU, please disregard my last
e-mail. (I should stop replying to mails on my phone, when only
half-awake).

In case he does apply in the future though, I'd be happy to be the
sponsor.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de

On 10/09/18 01:09am, David Runge wrote:

>On 2018-10-07 20:06:47 (+0200), David Runge wrote:
>> I hereby ACK my sponsorship!
>>
>> Let the discussion begin :-)
>As there has been quite a misunderstanding on my side, regarding when
>and how Brett wanted to apply to become a TU, please disregard my last
>e-mail. (I should stop replying to mails on my phone, when only
>half-awake).
>
>In case he does apply in the future though, I'd be happy to be the
>sponsor.
I can happily apply right now :)

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm interested in raising the general
availability of packages for the average Archer. I'm also interested in
helping David out with some of the pro audio packages - there are a lot
of them! My first migration over to arch was slowed because the tools
that I wanted (namely csound) was non-functional (Speps had started to
disappear at that time, IIRC). It's great to see csound (and by
extension, qutecsound) availability into [community]!

Vote for me and we can make the world a better place [1].

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRUAJVKlUZQ

(Did I do it right?)

On 10/8/18 11:44 PM, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:

> I can happily apply right now :)
>
> As I said earlier in the thread, I'm interested in raising the general
> availability of packages for the average Archer. I'm also interested in
> helping David out with some of the pro audio packages - there are a lot
> of them! My first migration over to arch was slowed because the tools
> that I wanted (namely csound) was non-functional (Speps had started to
> disappear at that time, IIRC). It's great to see csound (and by
> extension, qutecsound) availability into [community]!
>
> Vote for me and we can make the world a better place [1].
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRUAJVKlUZQ
>
> (Did I do it right?)
You can see the guidelines for applying here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trusted_Users#How_do_I_become_a_TU.3F

Feel free to read previous applications in the mailing list archive if
you want inspiration, as well.