Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general
Hi everyone,

just a quick heads-up to anyone who is using signal-desktop: Apparently
upgrading to gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks its dependency on sqlcipher,
causing signal-desktop to read its database unencrypted instead of
through sqlcipher. This will fail, causing a "NOTADB" error message in a
popup, asking the user to quit or overwrite the database. However, in
some cases, the database seemingly still gets overwritten even if the
user chooses not to. Therefore, be aware of this bug the next time you
start signal-desktop after upgrading gtk3 if you do not want to loose
your message history or store messages in plain text. Refer to the
corresponding GitHub issues #4513
<https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Desktop/issues/4513> and #5097
<https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Desktop/issues/5097> as well as
FS#69980 <https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=69980>
in the Arch Linux bug tracker.

In hope no one else looses their message history,

LuKaRo

Re: Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general
Hi,

> <https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Desktop/issues/4513> and #5097
> <https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Desktop/issues/5097> as well as
> FS#69980 <https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=69980>
> in the Arch Linux bug tracker.
>
> In hope no one else looses their message history,

Thanks for the hint! I downgraded 3.24.27-3 to 3.24.27-2 and hope
signal-desktop did not break anything as it wasn't restarted yet.

Best Regards
Bjoern

Re: Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general
Hi,

> Thanks for the hint! I downgraded 3.24.27-3 to 3.24.27-2 and hope
> signal-desktop did not break anything as it wasn't restarted yet.

Any ideas how to workaround this issue except not upgrading gtk3?

Kind Regards
Bjoern

Am 15.03.21 um 13:21 schrieb Bjoern Franke via arch-general:
> Hi,
>
>> Thanks for the hint! I downgraded 3.24.27-3 to 3.24.27-2 and hope
>> signal-desktop did not break anything as it wasn't restarted yet.
>
> Any ideas how to workaround this issue except not upgrading gtk3?

Hi,

Maybe install sqlcipher and try LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libsqlcipher.so

Create a backup of your signal config and database first, though.

--
Andy

> Kind Regards
> Bjoern

Re: Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general
Hi,

> Maybe install sqlcipher and try LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libsqlcipher.so
>
> Create a backup of your signal config and database first, though.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Regards
Bjoern

Re: Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general

> Maybe install sqlcipher and try LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libsqlcipher.so
>
> Create a backup of your signal config and database first, though.

This seems to work. Updated gtk3, logged out of MATE, logged in, started
signal-desktop with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libsqlcipher.so and no database
issue appears.

Regards
Bjoern

Can't we add this to the signal package then?

Re: Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general
Hi,

> Can't we add this to the signal package then?

heftig reverted the change now, so there is no need.

Regards
Bjoern

On 3/15/21 6:37 PM, Bjoern Franke via arch-general wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> Can't we add this to the signal package then?
>>

> heftig reverted the change now, so there is no need.
>
> Regards
> Bjoern

So what is the current state of this? Can I safely upgrade my system? I
havent upgraded it since some time, but I do not want to break my signal
of course.

Re: Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general
Hi Nico,

> So what is the current state of this? Can I safely upgrade my system? I
> havent upgraded it since some time, but I do not want to break my signal
> of course.

It seems to be safe again.

Kind Regards
Bjoern

Re: Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general
> On 3/15/21 6:37 PM, Bjoern Franke via arch-general wrote:

>> Hi,
>>

>>> Can't we add this to the signal package then?
>>>

>> heftig reverted the change now, so there is no need.
>>
>> Regards
>> Bjoern
>>

> So what is the current state of this? Can I safely upgrade my system? I
> havent upgraded it since some time, but I do not want to break my signal
> of course.

It got fixed in two days
(https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/commits/packages/gtk3/trunk),
safe to upgrade.

Re: Heads-Up: gtk3-1:3.24.27-3 breaks signal-desktop

Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras via arch-general
No problems here. Signal works flawlessly.