Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

tur-users mailing list
Hi folks,

I am very happy that I finally get the chance to join AUR community and
contribute something. I just adopted an orphan AUR package and submitted my
first pkgbuild (see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pycharm-community/).
Is there anyone willing to double check that I didn't make stupid mistakes?

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

Eli Schwartz-2
On 07/26/2017 05:13 PM, J3thro via aur-general wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am very happy that I finally get the chance to join AUR community and
> contribute something. I just adopted an orphan AUR package and submitted my
> first pkgbuild (see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pycharm-community/).
> Is there anyone willing to double check that I didn't make stupid mistakes?

Well, it looks like all you did was bump the pkgver, which means all the
stupid mistakes would be the fault of the previous maintainer. :D

My main objection would be that $srcdir and $pkgdir are not properly
quoted. Likewise with $startdir, except that that is deprecated and it
should be accessing the .desktop file from $srcdir instead.

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

David Phillips-2
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 05:13:05PM -0400, J3thro via aur-general wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am very happy that I finally get the chance to join AUR community and
> contribute something. I just adopted an orphan AUR package and submitted my
> first pkgbuild (see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pycharm-community/).
> Is there anyone willing to double check that I didn't make stupid mistakes?
>

> Regards,

You have in your PKGBUILD

    arch=('any')

and then later

    if [[ $CARCH = 'i686' ]]; then
        …

Are these not contradictory? Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks,
David

On 07/26/2017 06:04 PM, David Phillips wrote:

> You have in your PKGBUILD
>
>     arch=('any')
>
> and then later
>
>     if [[ $CARCH = 'i686' ]]; then
>         …
>
> Are these not contradictory? Or am I overlooking something?
Nope, and I'm not sure why I missed that either, this is definitely
something namcap/pkglint would complain about as well.

Continuing to look at that PKGBUILD, I also notice it seems to build a
Cython extension, in which case, cython really needs to be a
makedepends. Also that part should be done in a build() function rather
than package()

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

tur-users mailing list
Hi Eli, David,

Thank you very much for the critiques.

1) I fixed the arch field, 2) moved the cython into the build function, and
3) fixed the startdir. One thing I do noticed is that the namcap is very
vague about the errors, I have to manually figure out where and what is
wrong there. Is there some other tools? (looks like pkglint doesn't have a
aur pkg yet?)

On 07/26/2017 09:08 PM, J3thro via aur-general wrote:
> Hi Eli, David,
>
> Thank you very much for the critiques.
>
> 1) I fixed the arch field, 2) moved the cython into the build function, and
> 3) fixed the startdir. One thing I do noticed is that the namcap is very
> vague about the errors, I have to manually figure out where and what is
> wrong there. Is there some other tools? (looks like pkglint doesn't have a
> aur pkg yet?)

Automated linting tools are difficult by design. :) The general idea is
to raise warning flags that tell you to investigate yourself.
That being said, we do try, so if there is somewhere you think namcap
could do a better job warning you, feel free to discuss this on the
[arch-projects] mailing list (which is where namcap development takes
place).

pkglint is a *partial* attempt to reimplement namcap in bash as a
libmakepkg extension

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

tur-users mailing list
Very interesting, thank you very much!

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:16 PM, Eli Schwartz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 07/26/2017 09:08 PM, J3thro via aur-general wrote:
> > Hi Eli, David,
> >
> > Thank you very much for the critiques.
> >
> > 1) I fixed the arch field, 2) moved the cython into the build function,
> and
> > 3) fixed the startdir. One thing I do noticed is that the namcap is very
> > vague about the errors, I have to manually figure out where and what is
> > wrong there. Is there some other tools? (looks like pkglint doesn't have
> > aur pkg yet?)
>
> Automated linting tools are difficult by design. :) The general idea is
> to raise warning flags that tell you to investigate yourself.
> That being said, we do try, so if there is somewhere you think namcap
> could do a better job warning you, feel free to discuss this on the
> [arch-projects] mailing list (which is where namcap development takes
> place).
>
> pkglint is a *partial* attempt to reimplement namcap in bash as a
> libmakepkg extension
>
> --
> Eli Schwartz

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

Marcin Wieczorek
Hello

As we all know JetBrains' products are widely used by many programmers, by ArchLinux users too.
Their download servers are extremely slow though.
I'd love to see PyCharm in community, I even contacted a TU a few months ago.
The thing is there's a maintainer needed willing to adopt the package.
I hope someone sees this and takes care of that application.

Marcin Wieczorek

Excerpts from J3thro via aur-general's message of July 26, 2017 11:13 pm:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am very happy that I finally get the chance to join AUR community and
> contribute something. I just adopted an orphan AUR package and submitted my
> first pkgbuild (see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pycharm-community/).
> Is there anyone willing to double check that I didn't make stupid mistakes?
>

> Regards,

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

tur-users mailing list
Hi Marcin,

I think you missed something in the thread, I am the maintainer of this
package right now :)

On 07/28/2017 07:40 PM, J3thro via aur-general wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
> I think you missed something in the thread, I am the maintainer of this
> package right now :)

I don't think he missed anything, he's complaining that the package
isn't in the official repositories as a binary package.

In other words, offtopic, just ignore him.

Aside: what's with all the top-posting? General mailing list etiquette
is to bottom-post, and it certainly gets very confusing when some people
top-post and some people bottom-post.

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

Giancarlo Razzolini-2
Em julho 28, 2017 20:40 J3thro via aur-general escreveu:

> I think you missed something in the thread, I am the maintainer of this
> package right now :)

The OP mean for it to be maintained on the community repository, and, therefore
not need to be built and downloaded from Jetbrains servers everytime a new update
arrives.

I would take it to community, but I don't know if we have any licensing issues that
would prevent us from doing so. If there aren't any issues, I would move it.

If I knew it was orphaned on the AUR, I would have adopted it as well, since I use
pycharm on Arch on a daily basis. I'll revisit this soon.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

Bartłomiej Piotrowski-3

Community edition is open source and published under Apache2 license. I
don't know how that fits redistributing their binary though.

Re: Hello from Jethro, and could someone take a look at my first pkgbuild?

Giancarlo Razzolini-2

> Community edition is open source and published under Apache2 license. I
> don't know how that fits redistributing their binary though.

Yeah it is. I went looking into the build process for it and it looks like
it's a mess, but it would be doable. I guess that compiling on the package
and redistributing that wouldn't infringe anything, but I will take a second
look at this. It would certainly be nice not to have to download from their
site which is, indeed, slow.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini