How can I post on bbs.archlinux.org?

I am sorry to write here about this about I would like to register on
https://bbs.archlinux.org to have access to the Arch forum. The problem is
that I am unable to install Arch but the registration page is asking me the
result of an Arch command that I cannot run because I cannot install it in
the first place. So I cannot register and I don't know who to contact to
help me.

Is someone here can help me with this situation?

Thank you.

Re: How can I post on bbs.archlinux.org?

Ralf Mardorf-4
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 10:36:56 -0400, Pierre Thibault wrote:
>I am sorry to write here about this about I would like to register on
>https://bbs.archlinux.org to have access to the Arch forum. The
>problem is that I am unable to install Arch but the registration page
>is asking me the result of an Arch command

Hello Robot ;)

it doesn't, it is asking for "Your answer" to "What is the output of
"date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?"

I compared two installs, an Arch Linux and an Ubuntu install, since you
could run Ubuntu even from a live media.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Arch Linux"
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'
cbcc[snip]681f
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio
[sudo] password for rocketmouse:
[root@moonstudio ~]# grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS"
[root@moonstudio ~]# date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'
cbcc[snip]681f
[root@moonstudio ~]# logout
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$

The answer is the same, even if you would use an Ubuntu live DVD.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: How can I post on bbs.archlinux.org?

Ralf Mardorf-4
PS:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ uname
Linux
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ man date | grep %V
       %G     year of ISO week number (see %V); normally useful only with %V
       %V     ISO week number, with Monday as first day of week (01..53)
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ date -u +%V$(uname)
39Linux
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$

;)

Re: How can I post on bbs.archlinux.org?

So the solution would be for people to note the command on paper then to
boot live (if their live version is working), run the command, note the
result, boot back and go back to the registration page to put the result?

I think this is way too demanding.

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 11:07:53 -0400, Pierre Thibault wrote:
>So the solution would be for people to note the command on paper then
>to boot live (if their live version is working), run the command, note
>the result, boot back and go back to the registration page to put the
>result?

Assuming you read my PS, I need to ask:
Are you serious ;)?

Much likely you even could run FreeBSD or Cygwin on a Windows install,
if you should have the abilities required to use Arch Linux, IOW if you
should be able to correct the pipe chain.

Why noting anything on a paper, if you e.g. would run an Ubuntu live
media? Simply register while running the Ubuntu live media, by a simple
copy and paste, without the need to correct the pipe chain.

Most people nowadays are using a router, DHCP doesn't require anything
and it's expected that somebody who wants to use Arch Linux could
handel a situation without DHCP, such like PPPoE (,if needed).

Re: How can I post on bbs.archlinux.org?

Merlin Büge
Pierre Thibault via arch-general <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So the solution would be for people to note the command on paper then
> to boot live (if their live version is working), run the command,
> note the result, boot back and go back to the registration page to
> put the result?

If you have some basic experience with the linux command line, you
don't actually have to run the command in a linux terminal.

If you have no clue about it (yet), you might want to do some reading
and get familiar with the linux shell basics before installing / using
Archlinux, this might save you lots of trouble.

> I think this is way too demanding.

If you already prepared your installation media (which you're going to
do anyway) it's a matter of... 2 minutes?

Good luck!

Merlin Büge <[hidden email]>

Re: How can I post on bbs.archlinux.org?

ProgAndy
Am 30.09.2017 um 17:33 schrieb Merlin Büge:

> On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 11:07:53 -0400
> Pierre Thibault via arch-general <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> So the solution would be for people to note the command on paper then
>> to boot live (if their live version is working), run the command,
>> note the result, boot back and go back to the registration page to
>> put the result?
> If you have some basic experience with the linux command line, you
> don't actually have to run the command in a linux terminal.
>
> If you have no clue about it (yet), you might want to do some reading
> and get familiar with the linux shell basics before installing / using
> Archlinux, this might save you lots of trouble.

There are many shell/bash emulators using javascript available in the
internet. You could simply use one of them to run the command, and you
can even use them to learn the basics of the linux shell.

One example is "learnshell.org", you may find others with keywords like
shell, bash, online, emulator, and/or javascript.

Good luck,

--
Andy