Quantcast

Intellij IDEA Ultimate's

Reto Kaiser
(Mailing list didn't accept my message, sorry for sending it again)

I've created the "-bundled-jre" version of the IDEA package after
discussion with the maintainer of the "-ultimate-edition" version
("uwolfer").

Some people want to have the bundled JRE, others would like to use a
system-wide installed JRE. The extra package "intellij-jdk" is not
guaranteed to be the same version than was shipped with the specific IDE.

Together with "pschichtel" we came up with yet another approach using
split- and meta-packages: The main package is
"intellij-idea-ultimate-edition" and depends on
"intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre-meta". This JRE meta package is not a
real package, but it is provided by two other packages:
- intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre-bundled: The JRE bundled with the
Jetbrains download.
- intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre-system: The default "java-environment"
package.

Code can be found here:
https://github.com/njam/intellij-idea-ultimate-edition

I think it would be best to use this to create a single package
"intellij-idea-ultimate-edition". What do you think?

Regards
 Reto

Re: Intellij IDEA Ultimate's

tur-users mailing list
Reto Kaiser reto at retokaiser.com (Thu Feb 2 19:38:33 UTC 2017)

> (Mailing list didn't accept my message, sorry for sending it again)
>
> I've created the "-bundled-jre" version of the IDEA package after
> discussion with the maintainer of the "-ultimate-edition" version
> ("uwolfer").
>
> Some people want to have the bundled JRE, others would like to use a
> system-wide installed JRE. The extra package "intellij-jdk" is not
> guaranteed to be the same version than was shipped with the specific IDE.
>
> Together with "pschichtel" we came up with yet another approach using
> split- and meta-packages: The main package is
> "intellij-idea-ultimate-edition" and depends on
> "intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre-meta". This JRE meta package is not a
> real package, but it is provided by two other packages:
> - intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre-bundled: The JRE bundled with the
> Jetbrains download.
> - intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre-system: The default "java-environment"
> package.
>
> Code can be found here:
 > https://github.com/njam/intellij-idea-ultimate-edition
<https://github.com/njam/intellij-idea-ultimate-edition>

> I think it would be best to use this to create a single package
> "intellij-idea-ultimate-edition". What do you think?
>
> Regards
>  Reto

I personally prefer the flag thing mentioned by Leonidas (also, what I use in e.g. nvidia-full-beta-all: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=nvidia-full-beta-all). The "-meta" thing is a little...

I'd make the -no-jdk tarball the default, and whenever you change the _IntelliJ_JRE flag to "1", you would automatically get the one with the bundled JRE (e.g. [[ -d /usr/share/intellij-idea-ultimate-edition/jre/ ]]), until you'd set _(force_)system_JRE=1 (default "0", which you'd otherwise never need to touch).

But that's also a little..."manual"... The cleanest solution may very well be what we have now.

              Det