Intellij IDEA Ultimate's

Reto Kaiser
> I personally prefer the flag thing
[...]
> The "-meta" thing is a little...
[...]
> The cleanest solution may very well be what we have now.

Agree, the thing with the meta packages is a bit overcomplicated.
How about a single PKGFILE, which creates two packages with the "split
package" mechanism (one with, one without JRE).
@uwolfer wdyt? I can prepare the code.

Re: IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate's

tur-users mailing list
Reto Kaiser reto at retokaiser.com (Sun Feb 5 12:17:00 UTC 2017)
 > Det nimetonmaili at gmail.com (Sat Feb 4 15:57:20 UTC 2017)
 > > I personally prefer the flag thing
 > [...]
 > > The "-meta" thing is a little...
 > [...]
 > > The cleanest solution may very well be what we have now.
 >
 > Agree, the thing with the meta packages is a bit overcomplicated.
 > How about a single PKGFILE, which creates two packages with the "split
 > package" mechanism (one with, one without JRE).
 > @uwolfer wdyt? I can prepare the code.

All suggestions so far have been about a single PKGBUILD, so I'm
assuming you
mean a single source (the larger one), and then removing the jre/ folder
from
the other.

That kind of takes the advantage away of the smaller download (503M vs.
572M), and will always create a conflict after build.

               Det

Re: Intellij IDEA Ultimate's

On 02/05/2017 07:17 AM, Reto Kaiser wrote:

>> I personally prefer the flag thing
> [...]
>> The "-meta" thing is a little...
> [...]
>> The cleanest solution may very well be what we have now.
>
> Agree, the thing with the meta packages is a bit overcomplicated.
> How about a single PKGFILE, which creates two packages with the "split
> package" mechanism (one with, one without JRE).
> @uwolfer wdyt? I can prepare the code.
Perhaps you could create two split packages, one for
intellij-idea-utimate-edition, one for the bundled JRE... and have the
former optdepend on the latter and on the system JRE.

The four-way split, meta-package dependency is over-engineered, but
without the repo package providing ${pkgbase}-jre I don't see how to do
it via a clean dependency *at all*... since Arch Linux users are always
expected to pay attention to pacman's output e.g. optdepends, this
shouldn't pose a problem to users.

It wouldn't be the first package to *need* at-least-one-of its
optdepends to be installed.

Re: Intellij IDEA Ultimate's

tur-users mailing list
Yes I would also totally agree with the split package approach for an
optional jre. And FYI, you can find CLion a perfect example for
implementing this:
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=clion .

Eli Schwartz via aur-general <[hidden email]>于2017年2月6日周一
上午1:59写道:

> On 02/05/2017 07:17 AM, Reto Kaiser wrote:
> >> I personally prefer the flag thing
> > [...]
> >> The "-meta" thing is a little...
> > [...]
> >> The cleanest solution may very well be what we have now.
> >
> > Agree, the thing with the meta packages is a bit overcomplicated.
> > How about a single PKGFILE, which creates two packages with the "split
> > package" mechanism (one with, one without JRE).
> > @uwolfer wdyt? I can prepare the code.
>
> Perhaps you could create two split packages, one for
> intellij-idea-utimate-edition, one for the bundled JRE... and have the
> former optdepend on the latter and on the system JRE.
>
> The four-way split, meta-package dependency is over-engineered, but
> without the repo package providing ${pkgbase}-jre I don't see how to do
> it via a clean dependency *at all*... since Arch Linux users are always
> expected to pay attention to pacman's output e.g. optdepends, this
> shouldn't pose a problem to users.
>
> It wouldn't be the first package to *need* at-least-one-of its
> optdepends to be installed.
>
> --
> Eli Schwartz
>
> --