LXQT: Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config

LXQT: Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config

arch general mailing list-2

A question about Qt/LXQT.

When starting LXQT with startlxqt LXQT crashes giving a core dump and
showing in the systemd logs the message
'Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config'

The setup is connecting from a Windows 10 client to a system running
Arch Linux using (x)rdp.

On the Arch Linux system lxqt is started from ~/.xinitrc.
But a (x)rdp session is not created because of the above error.

Changing 'exec startlxqt' into 'exec xterm' in ~/.xinitrc does indeed
create a xrdp session but of course with just a xterm window.
Calling any Qt program in this terminal window leads to a core dump and
that message
'Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config'
suggesting it's caused by Qt.

Last weekend 6 Januari I did a pacman -Syu and Qt was updated to version
5.10.0.

Does anybody have an idea what change in Qt may be causing this error ?

Regards, Harm-Jan

Re: LXQT: Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config

Gabriel E.
> A question about Qt/LXQT.
>
> When starting LXQT with startlxqt LXQT crashes giving a core dump and
> showing in the systemd logs the message
> 'Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config'
>
> The setup is connecting from a Windows 10 client to a system running
> Arch Linux using (x)rdp.
>
> On the Arch Linux system lxqt is started from ~/.xinitrc.
> But a (x)rdp session is not created because of the above error.
>
> Changing 'exec startlxqt' into 'exec xterm' in ~/.xinitrc does indeed
> create a xrdp session but of course with just a xterm window.
> Calling any Qt program in this terminal window leads to a core dump and
> that message
> 'Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config'
> suggesting it's caused by Qt.
>
> Last weekend 6 Januari I did a pacman -Syu and Qt was updated to version
> 5.10.0.
>
> Does anybody have an idea what change in Qt may be causing this error ?
>
> Regards, Harm-Jan

Qt (and also GTK) use OpenGL to render and EGL is part of OpenGL. Xterm
renders itself via Xlib, which doesn't need OpenGL. I would suggest
installing Mesa onto the Linux system, because Mesa is what X11 uses for
OpenGL. But I am not sure, it my also be possible to pipe OpenGL over RDP.

On 01/10/2018 07:44 AM, Gabriel E. wrote:

>> A question about Qt/LXQT.
>>
>> When starting LXQT with startlxqt LXQT crashes giving a core dump and
>> showing in the systemd logs the message
>> 'Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config'
>>
>> The setup is connecting from a Windows 10 client to a system running
>> Arch Linux using (x)rdp.
>>
>> On the Arch Linux system lxqt is started from ~/.xinitrc.
>> But a (x)rdp session is not created because of the above error.
>>
>> Changing 'exec startlxqt' into 'exec xterm' in ~/.xinitrc does indeed
>> create a xrdp session but of course with just a xterm window.
>> Calling any Qt program in this terminal window leads to a core dump
>> and that message
>> 'Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config'
>> suggesting it's caused by Qt.
>>
>> Last weekend 6 Januari I did a pacman -Syu and Qt was updated to
>> version 5.10.0.
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea what change in Qt may be causing this error ?
>>
>> Regards, Harm-Jan
>
> Qt (and also GTK) use OpenGL to render and EGL is part of OpenGL.
> Xterm renders itself via Xlib, which doesn't need OpenGL. I would
> suggest installing Mesa onto the Linux system, because Mesa is what
> X11 uses for OpenGL. But I am not sure, it my also be possible to pipe
> OpenGL over RDP.

I have Mesa installed on my Arch Linux system.

An interesting point you mention about piping OpenGL over RDP.

See the thing is that on my Arch Linux system I have also VNC (tigervnc
1.7.1-1) running with LXQT as desktop environment and that goes well.

Also when I connect from my Windows Vista Desktop computer using RDP to
my Arch Linux system LXQT also runs fine.
With the Windows 10 laptop I experience this error.

Maybe ask the people at xrdp if they have an idea.

Regards, Harm-Jan