Malformed URL when plugging in External HDD

Malformed URL when plugging in External HDD

I have an external hard disk and when I plug it into KDE arch I see the
name of it, when I click on it , I see the disk spinning but I can't
open the content of the disk. Sometimes, I see error like "Malformed
URL" in a dialog box. However, I can use the disk completely fine on
Arch GNOME and Windows. So I think it's my KDE setup which has some error.

Can anyone help me diagnose what is going on ?

Thanks

Re: Malformed URL when plugging in External HDD

Maybe you should check the link/URL that the icon of the disk represents.
I don't have a KDE arch right now, but I think it's in the 'Properties'
option of right-click menu or something like that.

-kyechou

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an external hard disk and when I plug it into KDE arch I see the
> name of it, when I click on it , I see the disk spinning but I can't
> open the content of the disk. Sometimes, I see error like "Malformed
> URL" in a dialog box. However, I can use the disk completely fine on
> Arch GNOME and Windows. So I think it's my KDE setup which has some error.
>
> Can anyone help me diagnose what is going on ?
>
> Thanks

Re: Malformed URL when plugging in External HDD

L. Rose
Also check if it gets properly mounted after clicking on it in the file manager / whatever. Use the "mount"-command in the terminal without arguments to display all mounted volumes with their options and mount points. Check if your external volume is listed there (at the bottom of the list) and if there's a folder in the file system next to it. If there is, your HDD should be accessible in that folder. Use "lsblk" to identify your HDD if you don't know the drive letter. Maybe an entry in /etc/fstab explicitly specifying the drive's UUID and some specific folder and options for mounting it may fix the behaviour of KDE.

Regards,
Lukas

> On 02 Aug 2017, at 09:18, KY Chou via arch-general <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Maybe you should check the link/URL that the icon of the disk represents.
> I don't have a KDE arch right now, but I think it's in the 'Properties'
> option of right-click menu or something like that.
>
> -kyechou
>
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an external hard disk and when I plug it into KDE arch I see the
>> name of it, when I click on it , I see the disk spinning but I can't
>> open the content of the disk. Sometimes, I see error like "Malformed
>> URL" in a dialog box. However, I can use the disk completely fine on
>> Arch GNOME and Windows. So I think it's my KDE setup which has some error.
>>
>> Can anyone help me diagnose what is going on ?
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Malformed URL when plugging in External HDD

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an external hard disk and when I plug it into KDE arch I see the
> name of it, when I click on it , I see the disk spinning but I can't
> open the content of the disk. Sometimes, I see error like "Malformed
> URL" in a dialog box. However, I can use the disk completely fine on
> Arch GNOME and Windows. So I think it's my KDE setup which has some error.

Check if /run/media/yourusername/ is empty when not mounted. That is the
folder where KDE wants to mount the disk.

Re: Malformed URL when plugging in External HDD

arch general mailing list-2
I don't have any /run/media , my run folder contains other folders, but not /media

Sent from BlueMail<http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=10256>

Try to create it. Maybe you have the problem here.

Re: Malformed URL when plugging in External HDD

arch general mailing list-2
Do you know what command is failing?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/udev
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/udisks