MariaDB package version

arch general mailing list-2
I recently noticed Arch Linux's mariadb package is still on the 10.1
release series, even though upstream has considered the 10.2 and 10.3
release series to be "stable" for at least 4 months. Arch is usually so
good about keeping everything up-to-date, so I am curious what the
reason for this is. Something to do with compatibility?

Thanks,
~ Kevin Dodd

Re: MariaDB package version

arch general mailing list-2
On 9/26/18 3:31 PM, Kevin Dodd via arch-general wrote:
> I recently noticed Arch Linux's mariadb package is still on the 10.1
> release series, even though upstream has considered the 10.2 and 10.3
> release series to be "stable" for at least 4 months. Arch is usually so
> good about keeping everything up-to-date, so I am curious what the
> reason for this is. Something to do with compatibility?

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2017-September/044255.html

If you have further news, feel free to share. :)

Re: MariaDB package version

leoutation
On 9/26/18 9:55 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:

> On 9/26/18 3:31 PM, Kevin Dodd via arch-general wrote:
>> I recently noticed Arch Linux's mariadb package is still on the 10.1
>> release series, even though upstream has considered the 10.2 and 10.3
>> release series to be "stable" for at least 4 months. Arch is usually so
>> good about keeping everything up-to-date, so I am curious what the
>> reason for this is. Something to do with compatibility?
>
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2017-September/044255.html
>
> If you have further news, feel free to share. :)

Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs

Re: MariaDB package version

** [hidden email] [2018-09-27 13:04:53 +0200]:

> On 9/26/18 9:55 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> On 9/26/18 3:31 PM, Kevin Dodd via arch-general wrote:
>>> I recently noticed Arch Linux's mariadb package is still on the 10.1
>>> release series, even though upstream has considered the 10.2 and 10.3
>>> release series to be "stable" for at least 4 months. Arch is usually so
>>> good about keeping everything up-to-date, so I am curious what the
>>> reason for this is. Something to do with compatibility?
>>
>> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2017-September/044255.html
>>
>> If you have further news, feel free to share. :)
>>
> Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs
I'm sorry but you are wrong! See
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mariadb&searchon=names&suite=cosmic&section=all
(cosmic is not released even!)
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mariadb&searchon=names&suite=unstable&section=all
(and this is unstable!)
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/commits/el6
(el6, centos 6)
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/commits/f27
(10.2.17)
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/commits/f28
(10.2.17)
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/commits/f29
(10.3.9, next release, not released yet).

And why you are refering to mariadb.org site? Do they provide distro
packages on distro official mirrors? If I understand that site correctly
this is not official repositories (except Archlinux, they just give
usual receipt how to install package).

Nobody stops you to build mariadb package locally (I do that for some
packages).

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Deliberate provocation of mystical experience, particularly by LSD and related
hallucinogens, in contrast to spontaneous visionary experiences, entails

Re: MariaDB package version

On 9/27/18 7:04 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> If you have further news, feel free to share. :)
>>
> Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs

The link Eli provided references lots of client programs having problems
- but I didn't find a list of which client programs.

Given how long this has been, I would like to suggest that the problem
lies with the clients at this juncture and not with mariadb.

I see 3 basic options to choose from for each offending client package:

    (i) Drop client
   (ii) Compile the client statically linked
        ( removes the need to provide and older mariadb. )
  (iii) Provide 2 mariadb packages
        Current and the older one needed for the clients to run using
shared libraries.

Hard to say without knowing which clients. And I don't know how much
work keeping both versions might be. This seems a bit similar to the
python situation where we still seem to have couplings to python 2.

Does anyone have a list of the 'problematic clients' so a reasonable
decision can be made how to move forward and update mariadb?

Eli how do you think we should proceed at this point?

thanks!

gene

Re: MariaDB package version

ProgAndy
Am 27.09.18 um 15:36 schrieb Genes Lists via arch-general:

>>> If you have further news, feel free to share. :)
>>>
>> Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
>> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs
>
> The link Eli provided references lots of client programs having problems
> - but I didn't find a list of which client programs.
>
> Given how long this has been, I would like to suggest that the problem
> lies with the clients at this juncture and not with mariadb.
>
> I see 3 basic options to choose from for each offending client package:
>
>    (i) Drop client
>   (ii) Compile the client statically linked
>        ( removes the need to provide and older mariadb. )
>  (iii) Provide 2 mariadb packages
>        Current and the older one needed for the clients to run using
> shared libraries.
>

> Hard to say without knowing which clients. And I don't know how much
> work keeping both versions might be. This seems a bit similar to the
> python situation where we still seem to have couplings to python 2.
>
> Does anyone have a list of the 'problematic clients' so a reasonable
> decision can be made how to move forward and update mariadb?
>
> Eli how do you think we should proceed at this point?
>

> thanks!
>
> gene

Hello,

I just looked at the sources for libmariadb (Connector/C) and it seems
that there is an option to build it with compatibility symlinks for
libmysqlclient: WITH_MYSQLCOMPAT.
I am not sure which sonames are provided for compatibility, but
according to mariadb.org the client library should always be binary
compatible with the corresponding mysql release. Did anyone test if
there are still incompatible clients with the most recent mariadb release?

I have a fourth option if the symlinks cause problems.

(iv) Ship mariadb with libmariadb only and provide an
     additional libmysqlclient package that contains a
     compiled copy of the real libmysqlclient.

Andreas

Re: MariaDB package version

leoutation
On 9/27/18 3:29 PM, Vladimir Lomov via arch-general wrote:

> Hello,
> ** [hidden email] [2018-09-27 13:04:53 +0200]:

>>> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2017-September/044255.html
>>>
>>> If you have further news, feel free to share. :)
>>>
>> Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
>> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs
>
> I'm sorry but you are wrong! See
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mariadb&searchon=names&suite=cosmic&section=all
> (cosmic is not released even!)
> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mariadb&searchon=names&suite=unstable&section=all
> (and this is unstable!)
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/commits/el6
> (el6, centos 6)
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/commits/f27
> (10.2.17)
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/commits/f28
> (10.2.17)
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/commits/f29
> (10.3.9, next release, not released yet).
>
> And why you are refering to mariadb.org site? Do they provide distro
> packages on distro official mirrors? If I understand that site correctly
> this is not official repositories (except Archlinux, they just give
> usual receipt how to install package).
Hi
You're true. Mariaddb site gives partial or wrong information about
distro mariadb packages.

> Nobody stops you to build mariadb package locally (I do that for some
> packages).
Me too for many Aur packages. Concerning Mariadb, it's another story...

Regards

Re: MariaDB package version

David C. Rankin
On 09/27/2018 08:57 AM, ProgAndy wrote:
> I have a fourth option if the symlinks cause problems.
>
> (iv) Ship mariadb with libmariadb only and provide an
>      additional libmysqlclient package that contains a
>      compiled copy of the real libmysqlclient.

Only thought there is that would erase the "Drop in Replacement" selling point
for mariadb/mysql (see:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/).

From a practical standpoint, as long as the package dependencies in all
PKGBUILDs needing the new package were updated, it's not a bad way to go, if
there is objection to simply building and including both in the libmariadb
package.

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: MariaDB package version

Christian Hesse
Genes Lists via arch-general <[hidden email]> on Thu, 2018/09/27
09:36:

> >> If you have further news, feel free to share. :)
> >>
> > Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
> > https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs
>
> The link Eli provided references lots of client programs having problems
> - but I didn't find a list of which client programs.

We encountered random failures in different client... And did not record an
exact list. Possibly most of this was fixed in later version - I did not
check in detail.

I do build packages for recent versions of MariaDB from time to time. Still
failing is perl-dbd-mysql with its extensive test suite, that was my primary
test case.

Due to unaddressed issues with MariaDB (and Unicode) the original DBD::mysql
was forked into DBD::MariaDB [0]. Possibly we should have a look on whether or
not replacing this package is an option... But if I understand correctly this
brings new incompatibility.

[0] https://metacpan.org/pod/DBD::MariaDB
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)

Re: MariaDB package version

leoutation
On 9/30/18 12:47 AM, Christian Hesse wrote:

> Genes Lists via arch-general <[hidden email]> on Thu, 2018/09/27
> 09:36:

>>> Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
>>> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs
>>
>> The link Eli provided references lots of client programs having problems
>> - but I didn't find a list of which client programs.
>
> We encountered random failures in different client... And did not record an
> exact list. Possibly most of this was fixed in later version - I did not
> check in detail.
>
> I do build packages for recent versions of MariaDB from time to time. Still
> failing is perl-dbd-mysql with its extensive test suite, that was my primary
> test case.
>
> Due to unaddressed issues with MariaDB (and Unicode) the original DBD::mysql
> was forked into DBD::MariaDB [0]. Possibly we should have a look on whether or
> not replacing this package is an option... But if I understand correctly this
> brings new incompatibility.
>
> [0] https://metacpan.org/pod/DBD::MariaDB

Thanks for this explanation.
Perl-dbd-mysql is a mysql module  necessary for xtrabackup.
May you replace xtrabackup with other backup tool?
Here, they say MariaDB Backup, included with MariaDB 10.1.23 and later,
is a fork of xtrabackup.
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/backup-and-restore-overview/
Question: is it necessary to keep xtrabackup?
Regards