MariaDB vs MySQL

Konstantin Gizdov
Hi all,

I saw today libmariadbclient was updated to 10.1.24 and dropped the line
where it provides libmysqlclient. However, it still ships with the shared
libs and conflicts libmysqlclient. I maintain a few packages that require
libmysqlclient and I have some installed that require libmariadbclient. So
with this conflict and no provision statement, my system is broken.

As a temporary fix, the packages I maintain now require libmariadbclient
with the hopes that it implicitly provides mysql support too. However, can
I realistically depend on this as a fact or not?

If not, isn't that a way bigger problem for others as well?

Help and advice is much appreciated.

Regards,
Konstantin

Re: MariaDB vs MySQL

Christian Hesse
Konstantin Gizdov <[hidden email]> on Thu, 2017/06/01 16:32:

> Hi all,
>
> I saw today libmariadbclient was updated to 10.1.24 and dropped the line
> where it provides libmysqlclient. However, it still ships with the shared
> libs and conflicts libmysqlclient. I maintain a few packages that require
> libmysqlclient and I have some installed that require libmariadbclient. So
> with this conflict and no provision statement, my system is broken.
>
> As a temporary fix, the packages I maintain now require libmariadbclient
> with the hopes that it implicitly provides mysql support too. However, can
> I realistically depend on this as a fact or not?
>
> If not, isn't that a way bigger problem for others as well?
>
> Help and advice is much appreciated.
We changed from mysql to mariadb in... 2013? So we dropped libmysqlclient
provide no. (Originally we wanted to switch to MariaDB 10.2.x, but that was
delayed. This drop is a left over from reverting.)

In fact things are still compatible, so just update your depends from
'libmysqlclient' to 'libmariadbclient'.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)