Quantcast

Not receiving own emails send to the list

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Not receiving own emails send to the list

tur-users mailing list
Hi there,

With my recent email address change followed by my email spree to this
list (because of my TU application mostly), I’ve noticed I’m not
receiving my own emails, despite “Receive your own posts to the list?”
being set to “Yes”.

I suppose this is linked to SPF/DKIM/DMARC and the fact mailman
sometimes (based on original sender domains using those techs I guess)
replaces the From address while putting the original sender in the CC
field. Maybe when it does so it forgets to send also to this CC address,
and doesn’t send through the ML because of the “Avoid duplicate copies
of messages” being triggered by the CC field?

Can anyone confirm this? I suppose any GMail user can for instance…

Note, for this email, I’m trying “Avoid duplicate copies of messages” to
“No” in order to check whether it changes anything, which I kind of
expect given my current analysis of this issue, but that isn’t a proper
solution since it will indeed results in duplicate copies.

Thanks,
Bruno



signature.asc (531 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Not receiving own emails send to the list

tur-users mailing list
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 01:08:07AM +0100, Bruno Pagani via aur-general wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> With my recent email address change followed by my email spree to this
> list (because of my TU application mostly), I’ve noticed I’m not
> receiving my own emails, despite “Receive your own posts to the list?”
> being set to “Yes”.
>
> I suppose this is linked to SPF/DKIM/DMARC and the fact mailman
> sometimes (based on original sender domains using those techs I guess)
> replaces the From address while putting the original sender in the CC
> field. Maybe when it does so it forgets to send also to this CC address,
> and doesn’t send through the ML because of the “Avoid duplicate copies
> of messages” being triggered by the CC field?
>
> Can anyone confirm this? I suppose any GMail user can for instance…
>
> Note, for this email, I’m trying “Avoid duplicate copies of messages” to
> “No” in order to check whether it changes anything, which I kind of
> expect given my current analysis of this issue, but that isn’t a proper
> solution since it will indeed results in duplicate copies.
I might be wrong here, but I think it is gmail's "feature" not to show
you your own emails that are coming back via mailing lists. I was
investigating similar complain by a gmail user that he does not
receive his own emails via mailing list, and my conclusion was gmail
silently deletes them.

Hope this helps

Misha.


--
Vanush "Misha" Paturyan
Senior Technical Officer
Room 120
Computer Science Department
Eolas Bulding
Maynooth University
Maynooth

ext: 4539

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Not receiving own emails send to the list

tur-users mailing list
Le 11/01/2017 à 17:37, Vanush Misha Paturyan via aur-general a écrit :

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 01:08:07AM +0100, Bruno Pagani via aur-general wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> With my recent email address change followed by my email spree to this
>> list (because of my TU application mostly), I’ve noticed I’m not
>> receiving my own emails, despite “Receive your own posts to the list?”
>> being set to “Yes”.
> I might be wrong here, but I think it is gmail's "feature" not to show
> you your own emails that are coming back via mailing lists. I was
> investigating similar complain by a gmail user that he does not
> receive his own emails via mailing list, and my conclusion was gmail
> silently deletes them.
And it seems you’re right[0]. Thanks for this hint!

This *non-disengageable* “feature” is apparently quite old, but I’m
discovering it only now because this address wasn’t subscribed to much
MLs before…

Screw you Google, at the precise moment rspamd can work with OpenSMTPd
again, you’re off.

Bruno

[0] https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/fkbKPajx1Dw


signature.asc (531 bytes) Download Attachment
Loading...