(Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

(Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

arch general mailing list-2
[Off-topic]
Command-line torrent download tool for linux and windows OS. The tool fetches torrents from TPB proxy sites. Its written in Python3.

Here - https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench

Suggestions/feedback is appreciated.
Hope someone finds this useful :)

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

Jelle van der Waa-2
On 07/24/17 at 01:45pm, Kryptxy via arch-general wrote:
> [Off-topic]
> Command-line torrent download tool for linux and windows OS. The tool fetches torrents from TPB proxy sites. Its written in Python3.
>
> Here - https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench

I've really want some adoption, I suggest you upload a PKGBUILD to the
AUR.

P.S. I'm not a 100% fan of these forms of advertisement (seeing how it's
also CC'd to the ubuntu mailing list)

--
Jelle van der Waa

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

arch general mailing list-2
except KeyboardInterrupt:
  print("\nAborted!\n")
  sys.exit()

Don't check if your eyes may bleed from imposter code.

cheers!
mar77i

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

Howdy,
I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works usually, but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it, hopefully this new, in development CLI tool will fil in the gap.
Are you planning to make a PKGBUILD for it in the AUR, or do you want someone else to do it?
Storm
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 01:45:17PM -0400, Arch Linux General wrote:
>[Off-topic]
>Command-line torrent download tool for linux and windows OS. The tool fetches torrents from TPB proxy sites. Its written in Python3.
>
>Here - https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench
>
>Suggestions/feedback is appreciated.
>Hope someone finds this useful :)

--
Powered by Arch Linux! I am registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html
My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.tk/

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

arch general mailing list-2
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Storm Dragon via arch-general
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Howdy,

Howdy

> I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works usually,
> but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it, hopefully this
> new, in development CLI tool will fil in the gap.
> Are you planning to make a PKGBUILD for it in the AUR, or do you want
> someone else to do it?

The software is not a torrent client, only a "search interface" that
comes in html or command line output. Output itself is not rendered
using any rendering enginge but string addition (str.__add__). I
haven't exactly figured out what it actually does just yet, but it's
not what you've been looking for.

Regarding torrent clients, I'm actually pretty happy with
extra/transmission-cli's transmission-daemon.

cheers!
mar77i

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

Jan Koppe

On 24.07.2017 20:25, Storm Dragon via arch-general wrote:
> Howdy,
> I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works
> usually, but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it,
> hopefully this new, in development CLI tool will fil in the gap.

you might want to take a look at aria2c.

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

Jude DaShiell-2
lftp with torrent command used inside has been known to work too.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017, Jan Koppe wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 16:43:28
> From: Jan Koppe <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool
>

> On 24.07.2017 20:25, Storm Dragon via arch-general wrote:
>> Howdy,
>> I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works
>> usually, but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it,
>> hopefully this new, in development CLI tool will fil in the gap.
>
> you might want to take a look at aria2c.

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

Hi there,
I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I had once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch formus, but was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB is illegal :P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD.
That's the ONLY reason I posted about it here.

Also, it's not a torrent client. It just scraps thepiratebay proxy sites, and displays results in console window.

> Howdy, I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works usually, but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it, hopefully this new, in development CLI tool will fil in the gap. Are you planning to make a PKGBUILD for it in the AUR, or do you want someone else to do it? Storm On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 01:45:17PM -0400, Arch Linux General wrote: >[Off-topic] >Command-line torrent download tool for linux and windows OS. The tool fetches torrents from TPB proxy sites. Its written in Python3. > >Here - https://github.com/kryptxy/torrench > >Suggestions/feedback is appreciated. >Hope someone finds this useful :) -- Powered by Arch Linux! I am registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.tk/ get my public PGP key: gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-key 43DDC193 Twitter and Facebook are so ... yesteryear. Get your 2MB Social account TODAY! http://2mb.social/main/register How many Internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a lightbulb? http://goo.gl/eO4PJ "It's just the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head" Metallica - Enter Sandman

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

respiranto-2
On 2017-07-25 03:05, Kryptxy via arch-general wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I had once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch formus, but was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB is illegal :P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD.
> That's the ONLY reason I posted about it here.

As far as I know, thepiratebay.org by itself is not illegal, only much
but not all of the _linked_ content. As an example, you can most likely
find a torrent-link for an Arch ISO.

> Also, it's not a torrent client. It just scraps thepiratebay proxy sites, and displays results in console window.

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

Eli Schwartz-2
On 07/24/2017 09:05 PM, Kryptxy via arch-general wrote:
> Hi there, I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I had
> once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch formus, but
> was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB is illegal
> :P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD. That's the ONLY
> reason I posted about it here.
>
> Also, it's not a torrent client. It just scraps thepiratebay proxy
> sites, and displays results in console window.

Because if the AUR, and the forums, don't allow it, then it is better to
use the mailing list run by the same organization... because why?

This seems like questionable logic.

That being said, we have bittorrent clients available in the offical
repos and the AUR, and e.g. qbittorrent (in [community]) comes with a
builtin search indexer that searches thepiratebay among several other sites.

On 07/25/2017 05:29 AM, respiranto wrote:

> On 2017-07-25 03:05, Kryptxy via arch-general wrote:
>> Hi there, I'm not sure if the PKGBUILD will be accepted in AUR. I
>> had once posted a thread in open-source contributions in arch
>> formus, but was taken down due to legal issues (end of the day, TPB
>> is illegal :P). So I didn't put effort in building PKGBUILD. That's
>> the ONLY reason I posted about it here.
>
> As far as I know, thepiratebay.org by itself is not illegal, only
> much but not all of the _linked_ content. As an example, you can most
> likely find a torrent-link for an Arch ISO.
Probably worth noting that this defense breaks down when the project
README specifically calls out high-profile illegal content as usage
examples, though. :p

Although the AUR *still* has that torrent client which is specifically
designed to stream pirated movies via torrents, so I dunno.

(I honestly thought that that was deleted, but I just checked and it's
still listed in the AUR!)

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

arch general mailing list-2
No logic here. Don't know what was I thinking last night that I posted about this project here (stupid me!).
I do regret posting it. Won't happen again.

(Last reply (the same one) was supposed to be sent for this :S)

Re: (Off-topic) Command-line torrent download tool

More from the manual:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Criminal_solicitation

Cheers,

Brad

Sent from my iPhone

On 2017年07月24日 14時25分, Storm Dragon via arch-general wrote:
>I'm glad there's now something other than rtorrent. Rtorrent works usually, but there are some torrents that just refuse to work with it...

Dang.  I was hoping to switch to rTorrent.  Thank you for the word of caution.  Are you able to provide any example files or magnet links that rTorrent fails to process?

I've gone from Transmission to Deluge to qBittorrent, and they all suck for various reasons.  If I could combine the stability of Transmission with the robustness of qBittorrent and Deluge's sane handling of untracked files and partial downloads... then we might be in business.