PSA: third-party gems have been split from 'ruby' package

PSA: third-party gems have been split from 'ruby' package

arch dev mailing list
Hello folks

There been a packaging issue with 'ruby' package that annoyed me for a
while. The problem comes from the fact that ruby-lang.org source
tarballs contain ruby sources itself *and* some third party packages
from rubygems.org. The third-party gems shipped by 'ruby' tarball are:
minitest, net-telnet, did_you_mean, power_assert, rake, test-unit,
xmlrpc, rdoc. Currently we repack these gems and ship it as a part of
ruby Arch package.

Because gems are bundled with ruby package we have no way to update
gems separately. All we can do is to wait until ruby developers update
their bundle and release it.

The plan is to split these gems from 'ruby' package and install it
independently from what ruby developers bundle. Upcoming ruby changes
do that - ruby-2.5.0-4 will not include any of the third-party gems
mentioned above.

Two popular packages - rake and rdoc will get Arch packages (ruby-rake
and ruby-rdoc respectively). Other gems need to be installed either
from AUR or from gem.

Re: PSA: third-party gems have been split from 'ruby' package

arch dev mailing list
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 04:36:32PM -0800, Public mailing list for Arch Linux development wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> There been a packaging issue with 'ruby' package that annoyed me for a
> while. The problem comes from the fact that ruby-lang.org source
> tarballs contain ruby sources itself *and* some third party packages
> from rubygems.org. The third-party gems shipped by 'ruby' tarball are:
> minitest, net-telnet, did_you_mean, power_assert, rake, test-unit,
> xmlrpc, rdoc. Currently we repack these gems and ship it as a part of
> ruby Arch package.
>
> Because gems are bundled with ruby package we have no way to update
> gems separately. All we can do is to wait until ruby developers update
> their bundle and release it.
>
> The plan is to split these gems from 'ruby' package and install it
> independently from what ruby developers bundle. Upcoming ruby changes
> do that - ruby-2.5.0-4 will not include any of the third-party gems
> mentioned above.
>
> Two popular packages - rake and rdoc will get Arch packages (ruby-rake
> and ruby-rdoc respectively). Other gems need to be installed either
> from AUR or from gem.

Hello Anatol,
Good decision! I have rebuild asciidoctor with ruby-rdoc as
makedependency. Shall I move it to testing and you move all packages in
one turn over to the stable repositories? Will you create a todo for it?

Chris

Re: PSA: third-party gems have been split from 'ruby' package

arch dev mailing list
Hi Christian

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 9:36 AM, Christian Rebischke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 04:36:32PM -0800, Public mailing list for Arch Linux development wrote:
>> Hello folks
>>
>> There been a packaging issue with 'ruby' package that annoyed me for a
>> while. The problem comes from the fact that ruby-lang.org source
>> tarballs contain ruby sources itself *and* some third party packages
>> from rubygems.org. The third-party gems shipped by 'ruby' tarball are:
>> minitest, net-telnet, did_you_mean, power_assert, rake, test-unit,
>> xmlrpc, rdoc. Currently we repack these gems and ship it as a part of
>> ruby Arch package.
>>
>> Because gems are bundled with ruby package we have no way to update
>> gems separately. All we can do is to wait until ruby developers update
>> their bundle and release it.
>>
>> The plan is to split these gems from 'ruby' package and install it
>> independently from what ruby developers bundle. Upcoming ruby changes
>> do that - ruby-2.5.0-4 will not include any of the third-party gems
>> mentioned above.
>>
>> Two popular packages - rake and rdoc will get Arch packages (ruby-rake
>> and ruby-rdoc respectively). Other gems need to be installed either
>> from AUR or from gem.
>

> Hello Anatol,
> Good decision! I have rebuild asciidoctor with ruby-rdoc as
> makedependency. Shall I move it to testing and you move all packages in
> one turn over to the stable repositories? Will you create a todo for it?

As ruby-rdoc is a makedependency then you don't need to rebuild your
package. rdoc functionality did not change, it just split into
separate package.

> Chris

Re: PSA: third-party gems have been split from 'ruby' package

arch dev mailing list
Hello

There is actually another big third_party component that is currently
shipped together with ruby package - rubygems.

Rubygems is developed as a project [1] separately from ruby. Once in a
while ruby developers check-in rubygems into their source tree [2].
And up until now we used ruby's version of rubygems.

The issue is that rubygems keeps getting releases that are never
integrated into ruby releases. For example rubygems 2.7.6 has a number
of security bugfixes and it was not merged into ruby 2.5 branch.

I am going to split 'rubygems' package from 'ruby' and bring
'rubygems' up-to-date. 'ruby' will have a dependency to 'rubygems'
thus update does *not* require installing 'rubygems' separately.

[1] https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems
[2] https://github.com/ruby/ruby/tree/trunk/lib/rubygems
[3] https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/commit/5971b486d4dbb2bad5d3445b3801c456eb0ce183