Perl Help?

arch general mailing list-2
Hi gang,

I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
resolve this error. I can't open cpan, launch Chromium, and I'm not
sure what all else is broken at this point. Can someone help me towards
a solution?

Thanks,

Hunter

Re: Perl Help?

arch general mailing list-2
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
> about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
> resolve this error. I can't open cpan, launch Chromium, and I'm not
> sure what all else is broken at this point. Can someone help me towards
> a solution?

Is this the error you're getting? https://pastebin.com/sfLRHtCq
If this is the case, your packages seem to be in an inconsistent
state. Your mirror may have only partially synced, so if you -Syu
throughout the day or choose a different mirror the problem should
sort itself out on its own.

cheers!
mar77i

Re: Perl Help?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
> about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
> resolve this error.

If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
version in there may also be causing this error; try:

“mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}”

to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily revert
the change with:

“mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}”

Joey Pabalinas
<[hidden email]>

Re: Perl Help?

Jude DaShiell-2
One of the comments I read on a few perl packages being updated by amish
was to update to pgrel=2 to force a recompile.  That may have been
pgrel=3.  I'd like to know how to do that with perl myself.  Maybe that
will help.

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 09:11:00
> From: Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general <[hidden email]>
> To: General Discussion about Arch Linux <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [arch-general] Perl Help?
>
> Hi gang,
>
> I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
> about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
> resolve this error. I can't open cpan, launch Chromium, and I'm not
> sure what all else is broken at this point. Can someone help me towards
> a solution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hunter

Re: Perl Help?

On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:38 -0400, Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an
> > error
> > about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know
> > how to
> > resolve this error.
>
> If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
> version in there may also be causing this error; try:
>
> “mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}”
>
> to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily
> revert
> the change with:
>
> “mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}”
>
> --
> Joey Pabalinas
> <[hidden email]>

I was able to get rid of the problem by deleting /usr/lib/perl5 and
/usr/share/perl5 and reinstalling all packages. I also deleted the Perl
directory in my home directory, and all things are working nicely. Hope
this helps someone if they have this problem in the future.

Re: Perl Help?

Jude DaShiell-2
What were all packages you reinstalled after deleting /usr/lib/perl5/
and /usr/share/perl5/?

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:20:42
> From: Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general <[hidden email]>
> To: Joey Pabalinas <[hidden email]>,
>     General Discussion about Arch Linux <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] Perl Help?
>
> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:38 -0400, Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an
>>> error
>>> about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know
>>> how to
>>> resolve this error.
>>
>> If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
>> version in there may also be causing this error; try:
>>
>> ?mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}?
>>
>> to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily
>> revert
>> the change with:
>>
>> ?mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}?
>>
>> --
>> Joey Pabalinas
>> <[hidden email]>
>
> I was able to get rid of the problem by deleting /usr/lib/perl5 and
> /usr/share/perl5 and reinstalling all packages. I also deleted the Perl
> directory in my home directory, and all things are working nicely. Hope
> this helps someone if they have this problem in the future.

Re: Perl Help?

Jude DaShiell-2
What I did wasn't perfect but works well enough for now.  After removing
both directories I was able to run cpan with no problems.  The cpanp
command came up with errors on several missing packages.  I used cpan to
reinstall those missing packages and now have cpanp working as well as
cpan.  I figure with the two of those perl installation and update
programs working should a problem arise in the future I'll probably be
able to fix it with one of the utilities.

On Sat, 2017-06-24 at 11:51 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> What were all packages you reinstalled after deleting
> /usr/lib/perl5/
> and /usr/share/perl5/?
>
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:20:42
> > From: Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general <[hidden email]>
> > To: Joey Pabalinas <[hidden email]>,
> >     General Discussion about Arch Linux <[hidden email]
> > >
> > Cc: Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [arch-general] Perl Help?
> >
> > On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:38 -0400, Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong
> > > Perl
> > > version in there may also be causing this error; try:
> > >
> > > ?mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}?
> > >
> > > to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily
> > > revert
> > > the change with:
> > >
> > > ?mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Joey Pabalinas
> > > <[hidden email]>
> >
> > I was able to get rid of the problem by deleting /usr/lib/perl5 and
> > /usr/share/perl5 and reinstalling all packages. I also deleted the
> > Perl
> > directory in my home directory, and all things are working nicely.
> > Hope
> > this helps someone if they have this problem in the future.

All the packages on the system.