Perl Help?

arch general mailing list-2
Hi gang,

I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
resolve this error. I can't open cpan, launch Chromium, and I'm not
sure what all else is broken at this point. Can someone help me towards
a solution?

Thanks,

Hunter

Re: Perl Help?

arch general mailing list-2
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
> about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
> resolve this error. I can't open cpan, launch Chromium, and I'm not
> sure what all else is broken at this point. Can someone help me towards
> a solution?

Is this the error you're getting? https://pastebin.com/sfLRHtCq
If this is the case, your packages seem to be in an inconsistent
state. Your mirror may have only partially synced, so if you -Syu
throughout the day or choose a different mirror the problem should
sort itself out on its own.

cheers!
mar77i

Re: Perl Help?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
> about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
> resolve this error.

If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
version in there may also be causing this error; try:

“mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}”

to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily revert
the change with:

“mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}”

Joey Pabalinas
<[hidden email]>

Re: Perl Help?

Jude DaShiell-2
One of the comments I read on a few perl packages being updated by amish
was to update to pgrel=2 to force a recompile.  That may have been
pgrel=3.  I'd like to know how to do that with perl myself.  Maybe that
will help.

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 09:11:00
> From: Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general <[hidden email]>
> To: General Discussion about Arch Linux <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [arch-general] Perl Help?
>
> Hi gang,
>
> I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an error
> about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know how to
> resolve this error. I can't open cpan, launch Chromium, and I'm not
> sure what all else is broken at this point. Can someone help me towards
> a solution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hunter

Re: Perl Help?

On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:38 -0400, Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an
> > error
> > about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know
> > how to
> > resolve this error.
>
> If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
> version in there may also be causing this error; try:
>
> “mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}”
>
> to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily
> revert
> the change with:
>
> “mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}”
>
> --
> Joey Pabalinas
> <[hidden email]>

I was able to get rid of the problem by deleting /usr/lib/perl5 and
/usr/share/perl5 and reinstalling all packages. I also deleted the Perl
directory in my home directory, and all things are working nicely. Hope
this helps someone if they have this problem in the future.

Re: Perl Help?

Jude DaShiell-2
What were all packages you reinstalled after deleting /usr/lib/perl5/
and /usr/share/perl5/?

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:20:42
> From: Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general <[hidden email]>
> To: Joey Pabalinas <[hidden email]>,
>     General Discussion about Arch Linux <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] Perl Help?
>
> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:38 -0400, Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I got bit by Perl this morning after I did an update. I got an
>>> error
>>> about having a handshake error with ListUtil.c, and I don't know
>>> how to
>>> resolve this error.
>>
>> If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong Perl
>> version in there may also be causing this error; try:
>>
>> ?mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}?
>>
>> to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily
>> revert
>> the change with:
>>
>> ?mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}?
>>
>> --
>> Joey Pabalinas
>> <[hidden email]>
>
> I was able to get rid of the problem by deleting /usr/lib/perl5 and
> /usr/share/perl5 and reinstalling all packages. I also deleted the Perl
> directory in my home directory, and all things are working nicely. Hope
> this helps someone if they have this problem in the future.

Re: Perl Help?

Jude DaShiell-2
What I did wasn't perfect but works well enough for now.  After removing
both directories I was able to run cpan with no problems.  The cpanp
command came up with errors on several missing packages.  I used cpan to
reinstall those missing packages and now have cpanp working as well as
cpan.  I figure with the two of those perl installation and update
programs working should a problem arise in the future I'll probably be
able to fix it with one of the utilities.

On Sat, 2017-06-24 at 11:51 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> What were all packages you reinstalled after deleting
> /usr/lib/perl5/
> and /usr/share/perl5/?
>
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017, Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:20:42
> > From: Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general <[hidden email]>
> > To: Joey Pabalinas <[hidden email]>,
> >     General Discussion about Arch Linux <[hidden email]
> > >
> > Cc: Hunter Jozwiak <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [arch-general] Perl Help?
> >
> > On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 12:38 -0400, Joey Pabalinas via arch-general
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > If you have a ~/perl5/lib from using CPAN, files using the wrong
> > > Perl
> > > version in there may also be causing this error; try:
> > >
> > > ?mv ~/perl5/lib{,-bak}?
> > >
> > > to see if this is the cause. If this doesn't work, you can easily
> > > revert
> > > the change with:
> > >
> > > ?mv ~/perl5/lib{-bak,}?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Joey Pabalinas
> > > <[hidden email]>
> >
> > I was able to get rid of the problem by deleting /usr/lib/perl5 and
> > /usr/share/perl5 and reinstalling all packages. I also deleted the
> > Perl
> > directory in my home directory, and all things are working nicely.
> > Hope
> > this helps someone if they have this problem in the future.

All the packages on the system.

Re: Perl Help?

Jude DaShiell-2
I hadn't installed that many packages with cpan but found most of them
came from archlinux repositories so reinstalling the packages whether up
to date or not fixes this particular problem over here.