Please update VLC to v3.0.0

arch general mailing list-2
Hi everybody,

I hope it's the good mailing list to request package update (the bug
tracker only says 'the Mailing List'), and I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

VLC has been flagged out-of-date on 2018-02-07 (2 weeks ago).
Can you update it to v3.0.0, please?

Thank you in advance!

PS: Sorry for task #57595.

Re: Please update VLC to v3.0.0

arch general mailing list-2
On 02/23/2018 07:03 AM, Xorg via arch-general wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I hope it's the good mailing list to request package update (the bug
> tracker only says 'the Mailing List'), and I'm sorry if I'm wrong.
>
> VLC has been flagged out-of-date on 2018-02-07 (2 weeks ago).
> Can you update it to v3.0.0, please?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> PS: Sorry for task #57595.
VLC is already updated.

It is currently in staging.

it is a non-trivial change, and there were other bugs that had to be
resolved during the update.

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/vlc&id=8fcde2c5cf91a0472781dc791ed97388e32947d2

Yes, sometimes even Arch Linux takes longer than 47 minutes after an
upstream release to update packages. Two weeks for a major version
update that changes lots of dependencies including a move from Qt4 to
Qt5, *and* provides libraries against which *other* packages need to be
rebuilt? Yeah, this takes time.

Re: Please update VLC to v3.0.0

arch general mailing list-2
On 02/23/2018 07:25 AM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:

> On 02/23/2018 07:03 AM, Xorg via arch-general wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I hope it's the good mailing list to request package update (the bug
>> tracker only says 'the Mailing List'), and I'm sorry if I'm wrong.
>>
>> VLC has been flagged out-of-date on 2018-02-07 (2 weeks ago).
>> Can you update it to v3.0.0, please?
>>
>> Thank you in advance!
>>
>> PS: Sorry for task #57595.
> VLC is already updated.
>
> It is currently in staging.
As you can see, I wrote my post at 12:03:28 UTC, and commit 8fcde2c at
12:30:29 UTC.
I was tracking the Git activity for this package, and I would never have
posted if it was already the case. :)

> Yes, sometimes even Arch Linux takes longer than 47 minutes after an
> upstream release to update packages. Two weeks for a major version
> update that changes lots of dependencies including a move from Qt4 to
> Qt5, *and* provides libraries against which *other* packages need to be
> rebuilt? Yeah, this takes time.

I'm sorry if my intention was misunderstood.
I know it can take time after a major upstream update. Simply, due to no
sign of activity for v3.0.0 on staging/testing, I thought it had been
forgotten.
I *really* appreciate work done by mainteners, and it was not a reproach.

Thank you Levente Polyak for the update.