Problem with Pacman, or file system?

Tate Johnson
Hello Archers,

Recently I've been receiving errors from Pacman when I attempt to
install, remove, search or perform anything with Pacman.

This is the error that I receive:

"error: /var/lib/pacman/local/pacman-2.9.8-1/desc: No such file or
directory"

I first encountered the error while compiling a package from the AUR. It
complained that my system was unable to satisfy dependencies, when I
knew that the dependencies were installed. I did some searching around
and it appeared that my local database may be corrupted? At any rate,
one of the posters suggested to forcefully reinstall the offending
package, which I did. Upon doing so, it appeared that I had found a
solution. However, after rebooting my system the error will appear again.

Upon further searching, another poster suggested that I should remove
the offending directory, and then reinstall the package. When I attempt
to remove the directory, I get a kernel panic and my entire system
freezes. Since there is so much output, I've take a photo of the error
(X just freezes).

http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rimg0243we5.jpg (1280x1024 - 606kb)

I'm using the stock Arch 2.6.18 kernel, ReiserFS and LVM2 with my root
partition (including /var). Here is a copy of my pacman.log. The error
started occurring on the 20th.

http://tatey.com/random/pastebin/pacman.log

The file system check on boot-up shows that the partition is clean.
However, I have noticed that from time to time after installing/updating
various packages using Pacman, the file system check will show up "not
clean" and replay the journals. I can still continue to use Pacman,
provided I force reinstall it prior to performing any
installations/upgrades/removals/etc.

I've tried a post in the forums without much luck, perhaps someone on
this mailing list may be able to offer any assistance or suggestions.

Cheers,
Tate

Re: Problem with Pacman, or file system?

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
On 10/29/06, Tate Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <snip> Since there is so much output, I've take a photo of the error
> (X just freezes).
>
> http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rimg0243we5.jpg (1280x1024 - 606kb)

Couple of tips for u: next time, try at least removing the glare from
the image first? Switch off the light. Your monitor's powered, right?
It would also be good for u to (despite the effort, but hey, it's ur
system) type it all out still. Easier for anybody to help u, easier
for anybody else searching in the future.

> The file system check on boot-up shows that the partition is clean.
> However, I have noticed that from time to time after installing/updating
> various packages using Pacman, the file system check will show up "not
> clean" and replay the journals. I can still continue to use Pacman,
> provided I force reinstall it prior to performing any
> installations/upgrades/removals/etc.

despite what the file checking may tell u, ur FS may not be completely
clean after all. What does 'ls
/var/lib/pacman/local/pacman-2.9.8-1/desc' tell u? Are u sure ur FS is
clean (despite no replaying of any journal upon bootup)?

Try booting using a livecd, and do a thorough check using fsck. I cant
really speak for Reiser, but i know that with repeated system hangs
and reboots (i'm using JFS), FS errors can sometimes sneak past the
radar (I had to use the same method [livecd] to fix a persistent
problem with my JFS volume as well. Similar problem - my system was
complaining about a file that was not there.)

> I've tried a post in the forums without much luck, perhaps someone on
> this mailing list may be able to offer any assistance or suggestions.

-jf

--
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."
    -- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation

http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:

> On 10/29/06, Tate Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> <snip> Since there is so much output, I've take a photo of the error
>> (X just freezes).
>>
>> http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rimg0243we5.jpg (1280x1024 - 606kb)
>>

> Couple of tips for u: next time, try at least removing the glare from
> the image first? Switch off the light. Your monitor's powered, right?
> It would also be good for u to (despite the effort, but hey, it's ur
> system) type it all out still. Easier for anybody to help u, easier
> for anybody else searching in the future.

Thanks, I'll remember that for future reference.

>> The file system check on boot-up shows that the partition is clean.
>> However, I have noticed that from time to time after installing/updating
>> various packages using Pacman, the file system check will show up "not
>> clean" and replay the journals. I can still continue to use Pacman,
>> provided I force reinstall it prior to performing any
>> installations/upgrades/removals/etc.
>>

> despite what the file checking may tell u, ur FS may not be completely
> clean after all. What does 'ls
> /var/lib/pacman/local/pacman-2.9.8-1/desc' tell u? Are u sure ur FS is
> clean (despite no replaying of any journal upon bootup)?
>
> Try booting using a livecd, and do a thorough check using fsck. I cant
> really speak for Reiser, but i know that with repeated system hangs
> and reboots (i'm using JFS), FS errors can sometimes sneak past the
> radar (I had to use the same method [livecd] to fix a persistent
> problem with my JFS volume as well. Similar problem - my system was
> complaining about a file that was not there.)

I grabbed a LiveCD and used

# resierfsck --check /dev/system/var

The check said there was some corruption and to use --fix-missing. Fix
missing didn't actually work, it just sat in an infinite loop repeating
the same error message. I made a backup of the partition using DD and
then ran a --rebuild-tree which has finally resolved the issue. Thanks
very much for your help :)

On 10/30/06, Tate Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <snip>
> The check said there was some corruption and to use --fix-missing. Fix
> missing didn't actually work, it just sat in an infinite loop repeating
> the same error message. I made a backup of the partition using DD and
> then ran a --rebuild-tree which has finally resolved the issue. Thanks
> very much for your help :)

hey, glad i could help.

-jf

--
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."
    -- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation

http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228

Re: Problem with Pacman, or file system?

lucas rosenthal

--
lucas rosenthal
mail to: [hidden email]