Procedure for getting informed about ban duration and reason

Procedure for getting informed about ban duration and reason

mpan

Re: Procedure for getting informed about ban duration and reason

Eli Schwartz-2
On 07/26/2017 06:28 PM, mpan wrote:

>   I’m asking for an advice on how to proceed. I am *not* discussing
> the reasons or trying to rant.
>
>   The situation is:
>    — On July 25th at 3:10 UTC I have been banned on #archlinux-offtopic
>      with the reason „fuck you” and a warning „next time you trash talk
>      on the ops, I set it to a week”. I was sleeping at the time, so
>      I have discovered that just before 16 UTC.
>    — Since I was given no info on the ban duration and the reason seemed
>      strange, I’ve wanted to contact the op responsible for the ban. He
>      was absent, so I was advised to use phrik’s !later to send
>      a message. This is what I have done, asking for the reason and
>      the relevant logs with the context.
>    — The op has appeared. After waiting for a hour I’ve received
>      no response, so I have PM’d him with the same question.
>    — After another hour of waiting there was still no answer, but seeing
>      the op on #archlinux I’ve asked him about the issue. I was informed
>      that if I am going to ask about that, the ban will be prolonged and
>      then I was threatened with a “final warning”.
>
>   It’s July 27th ~22:30 UTC and I am neither unbanned, have no
> information on ban duration or the actual reason and being prohibited
> from querying that via IRC. What should I do next?
Step 1: Learn to use PGP/MIME in preference to inline PGP.

Step 2: Stop misrepresenting the public words spoken by both you and
"the op" in the channels in question.

Step 3: Recognize that the ops were chosen because they are trusted to
make the final judgment calls, the rest of the Arch Linux community
doesn't know, doesn't care. The appeals process is stated here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Enforcement
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Contacting_the_staff

And does not include picking a fight in public.

P.S. I am considering this "trying to rant", and "picking a fight in
public", due to the fact that you are in fact discussing the reasons
(which apparently include "you're an annoying nudnik who is bothering me
with questions I feel were already answered") rather than asking "what
is the appeals process if I feel an IRC op is being unfair to me".

No need to discuss the in-depth details of your case, or complain about
how your self-indicated reasonable response is being ignored out of hand.
Contrary to popular belief, prefacing a rant with "I am not trying to
rant", does not make it suddenly cease to be a rant.

Re: Procedure for getting informed about ban duration and reason

arch general mailing list-2
On Jul 26, 2017 16:08, "Eli Schwartz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 07/26/2017 06:28 PM, mpan wrote:

>   I’m asking for an advice on how to proceed. I am *not* discussing
> the reasons or trying to rant.
>
>   The situation is:
>    — On July 25th at 3:10 UTC I have been banned on #archlinux-offtopic
>      with the reason „fuck you” and a warning „next time you trash talk
>      on the ops, I set it to a week”. I was sleeping at the time, so
>      I have discovered that just before 16 UTC.
>    — Since I was given no info on the ban duration and the reason seemed
>      strange, I’ve wanted to contact the op responsible for the ban. He
>      was absent, so I was advised to use phrik’s !later to send
>      a message. This is what I have done, asking for the reason and
>      the relevant logs with the context.
>    — The op has appeared. After waiting for a hour I’ve received
>      no response, so I have PM’d him with the same question.
>    — After another hour of waiting there was still no answer, but seeing
>      the op on #archlinux I’ve asked him about the issue. I was informed
>      that if I am going to ask about that, the ban will be prolonged and
>      then I was threatened with a “final warning”.
>
>   It’s July 27th ~22:30 UTC and I am neither unbanned, have no
> information on ban duration or the actual reason and being prohibited
> from querying that via IRC. What should I do next?

Step 1: Learn to use PGP/MIME in preference to inline PGP.

Step 2: Stop misrepresenting the public words spoken by both you and
"the op" in the channels in question.

Step 3: Recognize that the ops were chosen because they are trusted to
make the final judgment calls, the rest of the Arch Linux community
doesn't know, doesn't care. The appeals process is stated here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Enforcement
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Contacting_the_staff

And does not include picking a fight in public.

P.S. I am considering this "trying to rant", and "picking a fight in
public", due to the fact that you are in fact discussing the reasons
(which apparently include "you're an annoying nudnik who is bothering me
with questions I feel were already answered") rather than asking "what
is the appeals process if I feel an IRC op is being unfair to me".

No need to discuss the in-depth details of your case, or complain about
how your self-indicated reasonable response is being ignored out of hand.
Contrary to popular belief, prefacing a rant with "I am not trying to
rant", does not make it suddenly cease to be a rant.

What is going on here? I have no knowledge of what led to this. But seems
to me this email is just a description of events that have unfolded. I
don't see how is this a "rant".

Is anything he said untrue or twisted?

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 12:28 AM, mpan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   I’m asking for an advice on how to proceed. I am *not* discussing
> the reasons or trying to rant.
>
>   The situation is:
>    — On July 25th at 3:10 UTC I have been banned on #archlinux-offtopic
>      with the reason „fuck you” and a warning „next time you trash talk
>      on the ops, I set it to a week”. I was sleeping at the time, so
>      I have discovered that just before 16 UTC.

There are hardly any real reasons you need for this. This may descend
on you completely randomly, unpredictably and with the fact in mind
that it's the ops that have the banhammer in their hands. It's not
worth negociating IRC here, though, that's why both my quoting and
authoring of email content ends here which might come as a surprise.
As somebody who has been banned on IRC in the past, I'll have to tell
you one thing though: please stop negociating it over another channel,
because it will be used against you on irc.

Basically, please send me a selection of irc channels you frequent
off-list on how we can maintain (in this case revive) our friendship.

If you can, let's get some of the more liberally inclined people on
board so we can get our own channel off the ground, preferably on a
different network.

cheers!
mar77i