Pruning Old / Abandoned Packages

I've been wading through orphaned AUR packages and submitting removal
requests for projects that are abandoned upstream. Are there generally
any rules of thumb I should be following?

Currently I've been considering the following before submitting a
removal request:

1. Is the upstream project abandoned?
2. When was the package flagged out of date? (If applicable)
3. When the package was last updated?
4. When the last comment was made on a package?

Suggestions are welcome!

Re: Pruning Old / Abandoned Packages

Lex Black
Hello
How do you define abandoned? Upstream stated software x is obsolete or just no upstream activity?

Nonetheless personally I submitted requests in the past for packages where upstream was gone and no alternative location of the software could be found (like active fork, still existing dev repo).

If a valid source was available I checked if it could be built and was working. If it was still working I just updated the Pkgbuild and mostly abandoned it afterwards.
Not working --> request.
Why should something be removed if it is still working?

Best regards

Re: Pruning Old / Abandoned Packages

tur-users mailing list
I make an attempt to get packages working before submitting removal requests.

> Why should something be removed if it is still working?

I'm 100% in agreement with this.

On 2/23/17 12:36 PM, Dan B via aur-general wrote:
> I make an attempt to get packages working before submitting removal requests.
>

> I'm 100% in agreement with this.
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Lex Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

For me, if there aren't any upstream sources, or forks, what not, but
the pkgbuild still builds, I'll usually locate a source package
'somewhere' and host it on my own site to keep the pkgbuild working. If,
for some weird reason, there aren't any tarballs to be found, or perhaps
there's some exotic license involved that makes self hosting impossible,
only then will I submit a removal request. But typically, someone
somewhere has a source tarball for a given app/utility, a little bit of
research can go along way to keep old programs available for those that
choose to use them.

John D Jones III
UNIX Zealot; Perl Lover
http://zoelife4u.org/