Question about using an efi partition

arch general mailing list-2
Hi all,

Last night I was reading in the arch wiki about creating an efi partition
for arch Linux and I had a question.  Is this esp partition the same as say
a boot partition that is used in bios?  Meening do I need to have an extra
partition for a boot partition or is this efi partition used as the boot
partition.  I did not see anything regarding this in the wiki so thought I
would ask here.

Matthew

Re: Question about using an efi partition

arch general mailing list-2
Le 30/07/2018 à 17:01, Matthew dyer via arch-general a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Last night I was reading in the arch wiki about creating an efi partition
> for arch Linux and I had a question.  Is this esp partition the same as say
> a boot partition that is used in bios?  Meening do I need to have an extra
> partition for a boot partition or is this efi partition used as the boot
> partition.  I did not see anything regarding this in the wiki so thought I
> would ask here.

It depends. Some bootloader require to use the same partition for boot
and efi, some don’t or even require the opposite for some setup (like
full-disk encryption including /boot using grub).

That being said, I don’t think there are interesting setups (at least
none came to mind) which would /require/ both a boot and efi partitions
as well as the boot partition to be independent from the / one. So only
one extra partition for both or only for EFI should be enough.

You can have more information about this by reading bootloaders wiki pages.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Question about using an efi partition

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:01:57 -0400
Matthew dyer via arch-general <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Last night I was reading in the arch wiki about creating an efi
> partition for arch Linux and I had a question.  Is this esp partition
> the same as say a boot partition that is used in bios?  Meening do I
> need to have an extra partition for a boot partition or is this efi
> partition used as the boot partition.  I did not see anything
> regarding this in the wiki so thought I would ask here.

ESP (EFI system partition) is needed to EFI firmware to load
bootloader from it. In BIOS boot MBR provides the same function - store
bootloader code. ESP is more convient in that regard
since it's a FAT32 filesystem instead of a binary blob.