[Questions] Questions from past project and ideas fomr -dev-public that get silence.

[Questions] Questions from past project and ideas fomr -dev-public that get silence.

arch general mailing list-2
During this and the end of previous year some ideas and projects were
started to adress some problems, but most of them get now silence and
nothing more.
I'm talking about

 * ABS deprecation draft, Will be one or just ABS will be removed and ASP
(which sound like Active Server Pages) will be pushed or both will coexist
until it get broken?
 * What happend with the project of sign-off from non TU that was mentioned
a few months? Is still runing? is there a way/path to get involved?
 * What about the new build flags [1], Now that Allan is not more the
maintainer and that either Debian and Fedora enabled PIE on binutils
sucessfully aparently, What will happend? Will it be enabled? What about
the other flags?

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/news/test-sec-flags-call-for-assistance/

*Pablo Lezaeta*

Re: [Questions] Questions from past project and ideas fomr -dev-public that get silence.

Bartłomiej Piotrowski-3
On 2017-04-30 09:43, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general wrote:
> During this and the end of previous year some ideas and projects were
> started to adress some problems, but most of them get now silence and
> nothing more.
> I'm talking about
>
>  * ABS deprecation draft, Will be one or just ABS will be removed and ASP
> (which sound like Active Server Pages) will be pushed or both will coexist
> until it get broken?

asp is already in extra. Yesterday I prepared changes to Ansible
playbooks and another one for disabling ABS. I just need to write a news
draft.
(Again, because I believe not everyone gets it: we're doing everything
in our personal, free time; our lives do not end on making Arch.)

>  * What happend with the project of sign-off from non TU that was mentioned
> a few months? Is still runing? is there a way/path to get involved?

We're getting signoffs from selected group of testers. You can contact
Florian Pritz if you want to become one; we should probably think about
more formal way of getting new people in.

>  * What about the new build flags [1], Now that Allan is not more the
> maintainer and that either Debian and Fedora enabled PIE on binutils
> sucessfully aparently, What will happend? Will it be enabled? What about
> the other flags?

The issue has been fixed upstream; as noted previously I will handle
this when time allows. This will definitely happen sooner than later,
probably in May.

Bartłomiej

Re: [Questions] Questions from past project and ideas fomr -dev-public that get silence.

Alexander Harrigan
I think the problem is lack of information about statuses of various projects.
Users can't disticnt between something that is being worked on slowly because
of lack of time of dev or technical difficulties and something totally
forgotten. I think it would be helpful if features/isues discussed here have
official tickets in Arch bugsystem where everyone could see current status
with dev commentary and could ask questions. It doesn't need to be updated
daily or weekly but we could point to it everyone who's interested instead of
creating new topics here or on forum over and over.

On On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 08:33 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-04-30 09:43, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general wrote:

> > During this and the end of previous year some ideas and projects
were

> > started to adress some problems, but most of them get now silence
and

> > nothing more.

> > I'm talking about

> > * ABS deprecation draft, Will be one or just ABS will be removed and
ASP

> > (which sound like Active Server Pages) will be pushed or both will
coexist

> > until it get broken?

> asp is already in extra. Yesterday I prepared changes to Ansible

> playbooks and another one for disabling ABS. I just need to write a news

> draft.

> (Again, because I believe not everyone gets it: we're doing everything

> in our personal, free time; our lives do not end on making Arch.)

> > * What happend with the project of sign-off from non TU that was
mentioned

> > a few months? Is still runing? is there a way/path to get involved?

> We're getting signoffs from selected group of testers. You can contact

> Florian Pritz if you want to become one; we should probably think about

> more formal way of getting new people in.

> > * What about the new build flags [1], Now that Allan is not more the

> > maintainer and that either Debian and Fedora enabled PIE on binutils

> > sucessfully aparently, What will happend? Will it be enabled? What
about

> > the other flags?

> The issue has been fixed upstream; as noted previously I will handle

> this when time allows. This will definitely happen sooner than later,

> probably in May.

> Bartłomiej

\-- Sent using MsgSafe.io's Free Plan Private, encrypted, online communication
For everyone. https://www.msgsafe.io

Re: [Questions] Questions from past project and ideas fomr -dev-public that get silence.

Jude DaShiell-2

Sent from BlueMail for iPhone
On Apr 30, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Alexander Harrigan <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think the problem is lack of information about statuses of various projects.
Users can't disticnt between something that is being worked on slowly because
of lack of time of dev or technical difficulties and something totally
forgotten. I think it would be helpful if features/isues discussed here have
official tickets in Arch bugsystem where everyone could see current status
with dev commentary and could ask questions. It doesn't need to be updated
daily or weekly but we could point to it everyone who's interested instead of
creating new topics here or on forum over and over.

On On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 08:33 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski
&lt;[hidden email]&gt; wrote:

&gt; On 2017-04-30 09:43, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general wrote:

&gt; &gt; During this and the end of previous year some ideas and projects
were

&gt; &gt; started to adress some problems, but most of them get now silence
and

&gt; &gt; nothing more.

&gt; &gt; I'm talking about

&gt; &gt;

&gt; &gt; * ABS deprecation draft, Will be one or just ABS will be removed and
ASP

&gt; &gt; (which sound like Active Server Pages) will be pushed or both will
coexist

&gt; &gt; until it get broken?

&gt;

&gt; asp is already in extra. Yesterday I prepared changes to Ansible

&gt; playbooks and another one for disabling ABS. I just need to write a news

&gt; draft.

&gt; (Again, because I believe not everyone gets it: we're doing everything

&gt; in our personal, free time; our lives do not end on making Arch.)

&gt;

&gt; &gt; * What happend with the project of sign-off from non TU that was
mentioned

&gt; &gt; a few months? Is still runing? is there a way/path to get involved?

&gt;

&gt; We're getting signoffs from selected group of testers. You can contact

&gt; Florian Pritz if you want to become one; we should probably think about

&gt; more formal way of getting new people in.

&gt;

&gt; &gt; * What about the new build flags [1], Now that Allan is not more the

&gt; &gt; maintainer and that either Debian and Fedora enabled PIE on binutils

&gt; &gt; sucessfully aparently, What will happend? Will it be enabled? What
about

&gt; &gt; the other flags?

&gt;

&gt; The issue has been fixed upstream; as noted previously I will handle

&gt; this when time allows. This will definitely happen sooner than later,

&gt; probably in May.

&gt;

&gt; Bartłomiej

&gt;

&gt;

On 30.04.2017 17:30, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Sent from BlueMail for iPhone
> On Apr 30, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Alexander Harrigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think the problem is lack of information about statuses of various projects.
> Users can't disticnt between something that is being worked on slowly because
> [...]
>
> On On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 08:33 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski
> &lt;[hidden email]&gt; wrote:
>
> &gt; On 2017-04-30 09:43, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general wrote:
>
> &gt; &gt; During this and the end of previous year some ideas and projects
> were

I can't tell what is quoted and what you wrote in that mail or if you
put your reply into the quoted parts. Please try to send readable mails
by following the tips here:
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2014-August/036950.html

Florian