Re: [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

Re: [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

arch general mailing list-2

> There we go. Far from perfect, happy to hear suggestions from spirits of
> poetry.
>
> ---
>
> Due to high maintenance costs of rsync server and scripts related to
> Arch Build System, we have decided to deprecate the `abs` tool and rsync
> as endorsed way of obtaining PKGBUILDs tree.
>
> The `asp` tool, available in [extra], provides similar functionality to
> `abs`.  `asp export pkgname` can be used as direct alternative; more
> information about usage can be found in [its documentation][asp].
> Additionally Subversion sparse checkouts, as described [here][svn], can
> be used to achieve similar effect.  For fetching all PKGBUILDs, the best
> way is cloning [svntogit][git] mirrors.
>
> While `extra/abs` package has been already dropped, rsync endpoint will
> be disabled by the end of the month.
>
> [asp]: https://github.com/falconindy/asp/blob/master/man/asp.1.txt
> [svn]: https://www.archlinux.org/svn/
> [git]: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/

You should clarify if this affect user cloning the servers repos by rsync
to set they non-tiered local repos (*.pkg.tag.xzs) or just the pkgbuilds
repo clones (PKGBUILDs).

Also mention devtools still depend on subversion despite you mention that
for cloning one should use git, that intentional or inconsistenty?

*Pablo Lezaeta*

Re: [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

Bartłomiej Piotrowski-3
For some reason I sent this to arch-dev-public instead, sending again here…

On 2017-05-10 04:27, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general
wrote:
> You should clarify if this affect user cloning the servers repos by
> rsync to set they non-tiered local repos (*.pkg.tag.xzs) or just the
> pkgbuilds repo clones (PKGBUILDs).

That's better phrased in Florian's revision, but both mention PKGBUILDs,
so I'm not sure if there is anything more to explain.

> Also mention devtools still depend on subversion despite you mention
> that for cloning one should use git, that intentional or
> inconsistenty?

devtools depending on svn has nothing to do with ABS; the paragraph you
refer to describes methods of obtaining full PKGBUILDs tree.

Bartłomiej

Re: [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

David C. Rankin
On 05/10/2017 02:14 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:

> For some reason I sent this to arch-dev-public instead, sending again here…
>
> On 2017-05-10 04:27, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general
> wrote:
>> You should clarify if this affect user cloning the servers repos by
>> rsync to set they non-tiered local repos (*.pkg.tag.xzs) or just the
>> pkgbuilds repo clones (PKGBUILDs).
>
> That's better phrased in Florian's revision, but both mention PKGBUILDs,
> so I'm not sure if there is anything more to explain.
>
>> Also mention devtools still depend on subversion despite you mention
>> that for cloning one should use git, that intentional or
>> inconsistenty?
>
> devtools depending on svn has nothing to do with ABS; the paragraph you
> refer to describes methods of obtaining full PKGBUILDs tree.
>
> Bartłomiej

Sad, but I understand the 'cost' issue. (seems like it would be easier to
pass-the-hat and cover the costs, but that's way above my Arch pay-grade...)

So if I understand the move, the removal of ABS is to reduce cost by removing
the ability to clone the whole PKGBUILD tree from an rsync server and
basically pushing everything to a single-package export from the git repo on
an 'as needed basis' or allowing a sparse clone of the tree in its place?

abs certainly was a bit part of the Arch KISS philosophy, with a single
command mirroring the build system to /var. Was darn convenient to... Hard to
see how the 84M (uncompressed) it requires was that big of a cost issue, but I
guess it adds up.

So from now on, we use 'asp export pkgname'. Is it recommended that we `sudo
rm -rf /var/abs` at the end of the month? It doesn't look like it will have
any use under the new way of doing things.

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

On 05/24/2017 01:08 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> So from now on, we use 'asp export pkgname'. Is it recommended that we `sudo
> rm -rf /var/abs` at the end of the month? It doesn't look like it will have
> any use under the new way of doing things.

You could also checkout the svn tree, or use:
asp checkout $(asp list-all)

Re: [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

Bartłomiej Piotrowski-3
> abs certainly was a bit part of the Arch KISS philosophy, with a single
> command mirroring the build system to /var. Was darn convenient to... Hard to
> see how the 84M (uncompressed) it requires was that big of a cost issue, but I
> guess it adds up.

You can simply clone svn2git mirrors, as mentioned in the post. Eats
more space in general (ca. 250MB here) but seems faster than rsync.

> So from now on, we use 'asp export pkgname'. Is it recommended that we `sudo
> rm -rf /var/abs` at the end of the month? It doesn't look like it will have
> any use under the new way of doing things.

It won't be possible to update old style ABS soon, so 'rm -rf' is the
way to go.

Bartłomiej