Re: [PRQ#10789] Merge Request for remarkable-webkit2gtk

Re: [PRQ#10789] Merge Request for remarkable-webkit2gtk

tur-users mailing list
I just made a merge-request for a package I maintain. But I'm curious
about what this actually means in practice when it's merged.

Will current users be notified in some way? Will they be redirected to
the new package? Or is it just about the votes?

If users are not notified, is there a smart way to make them move to the
new package before deleting?

---
Micke

On 03/03/2018 07:22 PM, Mikael Blomstrand via aur-general wrote:
> I just made a merge-request for a package I maintain. But I'm curious
> about what this actually means in practice when it's merged.
>
> Will current users be notified in some way? Will they be redirected to
> the new package? Or is it just about the votes?
>
> If users are not notified, is there a smart way to make them move to the
> new package before deleting?

If they are getting notifications for the package, then leaving a
comment for the old package is a good idea and will give them a heads-up.
Which you've done, so that's all that can really be expected of you. :)

But fundamentally, this is all about the votes and comments. Most
commonly, I think, merge requests are used to join together two packages
for a split package (in which case they will continue to get the same
pkgname under a different pkgbase).

On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 07:30:29PM -0500, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:

> On 03/03/2018 07:22 PM, Mikael Blomstrand via aur-general wrote:
> > I just made a merge-request for a package I maintain. But I'm curious
> > about what this actually means in practice when it's merged.
> >
> > Will current users be notified in some way? Will they be redirected to
> > the new package? Or is it just about the votes?
> >
> > If users are not notified, is there a smart way to make them move to the
> > new package before deleting?
>
> If they are getting notifications for the package, then leaving a
> comment for the old package is a good idea and will give them a heads-up.
> Which you've done, so that's all that can really be expected of you. :)
>
> But fundamentally, this is all about the votes and comments. Most
> commonly, I think, merge requests are used to join together two packages
> for a split package (in which case they will continue to get the same
> pkgname under a different pkgbase).

Interesting. Would it be possible, in theory, to make a split package as
a way of making people move?

I was looking at AurJson the other day. It struck me that it would be a really nice feature to be able to search for packages by the `provides` tag. Similarly it would be an interesting feature if it returned the new package for packages that has been merged when searching for the old packages.

Do you think that's something people want? It'd be fun to try to work on as a project if I find some time.

---
Micke

Re: [PRQ#10789] Merge Request for remarkable-webkit2gtk

tur-users mailing list
> Mikael Blomstrand via aur-general <[hidden email]> hat am 4. März 2018 um 02:33 geschrieben:
>
> I was looking at AurJson the other day. It struck me that it would be a really nice feature to be able to search for packages by the `provides` tag. Similarly it would be an interesting feature if it returned the new package for packages that has been merged when searching for the old packages.
>
> Do you think that's something people want? It'd be fun to try to work on as a project if I find some time.

Sure, see https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/49090

Alad