ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

arch general mailing list-2
Good afternoon,
as said in the subject I am having some issues running MiniDLNA on my
home server.
The service fires up properly (the status web page is properly
accessible), however the server is not visible when I scan for it in my
DLNA-enanched applications, on all the platforms (my Android phone and
tablet + my computer).
In the past it was working when my home server was connected through
Ethernet, but I had to make a really bad setup and I would prefer to
keep it on wireless.
Did anyone have a problem similar to mine?

--
Giovanni Santini
My blog: http://giovannisantini.tk
My code: https://git{hub,lab}.com/ItachiSan
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

ITwrx.org
On 06/04/2017 08:38 AM, Giovanni Santini via arch-general wrote:

> Good afternoon,
> as said in the subject I am having some issues running MiniDLNA on my
> home server.
> The service fires up properly (the status web page is properly
> accessible), however the server is not visible when I scan for it in my
> DLNA-enanched applications, on all the platforms (my Android phone and
> tablet + my computer).
> In the past it was working when my home server was connected through
> Ethernet, but I had to make a really bad setup and I would prefer to
> keep it on wireless.
> Did anyone have a problem similar to mine?
>
The status page is properly accessible from where? A x86 computer that's
on your wired network? or from a device connected to network via wireless?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

arch general mailing list-2
Il 04/06/2017 16:10, ITwrx.org ha scritto:
> The status page is properly accessible from where? A x86 computer that's
> on your wired network? or from a device connected to network via wireless?

MiniDLNA publishes automatically a web page on port 8200 for checking
its status.

My computer is an old x64-capable server.
It is connected to my network through a wireless USB adapter.

--
Giovanni Santini
My blog: http://giovannisantini.tk
My code: https://git{hub,lab}.com/ItachiSan
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

Ihad
Hi,

On 6/4/2017 4:45 PM, Giovanni Santini via arch-general wrote:
> Il 04/06/2017 16:10, ITwrx.org ha scritto:
>> The status page is properly accessible from where? A x86 computer that's
>> on your wired network? or from a device connected to network via wireless?
>
> MiniDLNA publishes automatically a web page on port 8200 for checking
> its status.
>
> My computer is an old x64-capable server.
> It is connected to my network through a wireless USB adapter.

Just a wild guess: is your wireless network a separate subnet? If so,
there's your problem. AFAIK MiniDLNA uses SSDP[1] to announce itself,
using a site-local multicast-IP that isn't routed. You need to bridge
your wireless network into the wired one, meaning it has to be the same
subnet.

--
Regards,
Arno

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Service_Discovery_Protocol

--
Gruß,
Arno.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

arch general mailing list-2
Il 04/06/2017 17:24, ihad ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> ...
>
> Just a wild guess: is your wireless network a separate subnet? If so,
> there's your problem. AFAIK MiniDLNA uses SSDP[1] to announce itself,
> using a site-local multicast-IP that isn't routed. You need to bridge
> your wireless network into the wired one, meaning it has to be the same
> subnet.
>

Hey,
no, both of them are configured through DHCP and they both use the same
subnet (mask 255.255.255.0, base 192.168.0.0).

--
Giovanni Santini
My blog: http://giovannisantini.tk
My code: https://git{hub,lab}.com/ItachiSan
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

ITwrx.org
In reply to this post by arch general mailing list-2
On 06/04/2017 09:45 AM, Giovanni Santini via arch-general wrote:
> Il 04/06/2017 16:10, ITwrx.org ha scritto:
>> The status page is properly accessible from where? A x86 computer that's
>> on your wired network? or from a device connected to network via wireless?
> MiniDLNA publishes automatically a web page on port 8200 for checking
> its status.
>
> My computer is an old x64-capable server.
> It is connected to my network through a wireless USB adapter.
>
this computer is the one you successfully accessed the minidlna web page
from? or a different computer connected via ethernet? i'm just trying to
verify that you have successfully accessed the webpage for minidlna from
a wireless device/computer.

if yes, then you could use nmap or a nmap gui (nmap-qt4 ?) to scan the
host that is supposed to be serving minidlna and make sure that port is
actually open/visible. IOW, just start ruling things out. If that port
is open/accessible from a remote machine then try different apps on the
clients to make sure it's not just buggy clients. you might also try
different minidlna servers. i know when i tried to use minidlna the
servers and client apps were very picky and some were very flakey too. i
ended up ditching minidlna(even though i had it working most of the
time) and just using samba just because i didn't like how non-robust it
all was.


--
Information Technology Works
https://ITwrx.org
@ITwrxorg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

arch general mailing list-2
Il 04/06/2017 18:08, ITwrx.org ha scritto:

> this computer is the one you successfully accessed the minidlna web page
> from? or a different computer connected via ethernet? i'm just trying to
> verify that you have successfully accessed the webpage for minidlna from
> a wireless device/computer.
>
> if yes, then you could use nmap or a nmap gui (nmap-qt4 ?) to scan the
> host that is supposed to be serving minidlna and make sure that port is
> actually open/visible. IOW, just start ruling things out. If that port
> is open/accessible from a remote machine then try different apps on the
> clients to make sure it's not just buggy clients. you might also try
> different minidlna servers. i know when i tried to use minidlna the
> servers and client apps were very picky and some were very flakey too. i
> ended up ditching minidlna(even though i had it working most of the
> time) and just using samba just because i didn't like how non-robust it
> all was.
>

The computer I was referring to is the server I am trying to access.
I've accessed the webpage from my laptop.

There is a strange thing indeed: the server has actually no firewall,
however the 1900 UDP port, which should be open for SSDP seems closed.

Here it is the result of some investigation
---
# On my laptop
$ nmap -sU -p 1900 santini_server
Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-06-05 11:32 ora legale
Europa occidentale
Nmap scan report for santini_server (192.168.0.109)
Host is up (0.027s latency).
PORT     STATE  SERVICE
1900/udp closed upnp
MAC Address: 00:1E:2A:43:47:3E (Netgear)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12.43 seconds

# On the server
$ sudo iptables --list
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
---
No idea why MiniDLNA does not check the port.

--
Giovanni Santini
My blog: http://giovannisantini.tk
My code: https://git{hub,lab}.com/ItachiSan
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

ITwrx.org
On 06/05/2017 04:37 AM, Giovanni Santini via arch-general wrote:

> The computer I was referring to is the server I am trying to access.
> I've accessed the webpage from my laptop.
>
> There is a strange thing indeed: the server has actually no firewall,
> however the 1900 UDP port, which should be open for SSDP seems closed.
>
> Here it is the result of some investigation
> ---
> # On my laptop
> $ nmap -sU -p 1900 santini_server
> Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-06-05 11:32 ora legale
> Europa occidentale
> Nmap scan report for santini_server (192.168.0.109)
> Host is up (0.027s latency).
> PORT     STATE  SERVICE
> 1900/udp closed upnp
> MAC Address: 00:1E:2A:43:47:3E (Netgear)
>
> Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12.43 seconds
>
> # On the server
> $ sudo iptables --list
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target     prot opt source               destination
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> target     prot opt source               destination
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target     prot opt source               destination
> ---
> No idea why MiniDLNA does not check the port.
i just installed minidlna and got it working from vlc over wireless. it
didn't work at first. "systemctl status minindlna" showed that it wasn't
able to identify the network interface i provided. i have no idea
why(old method in minidlna?). i commented that line in config back out
and made sure minidlna could read my testing media directory and it
worked at that point. i used nmap -sS -sU -T4 -A -v 192.168.1.1 to see
if port 8200 was open. it was.

so, if "systemctl status minidlna" or "journalctl -b" shows no problems
for minidlna then maybe test with nmap from both wired and wireless and
see if there is a difference. If there is, then you have network config
issue. the arch wiki page for minidlna has a section about wireless in
the troubleshooting section i notice.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

arch general mailing list-2
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 4:12 PM, ITwrx.org <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > ---
> > No idea why MiniDLNA does not check the port.
> i just installed minidlna and got it working from vlc over wireless. it
> didn't work at first. "systemctl status minindlna" showed that it wasn't
> able to identify the network interface i provided. i have no idea
> why(old method in minidlna?). i commented that line in config back out
> and made sure minidlna could read my testing media directory and it
> worked at that point. i used nmap -sS -sU -T4 -A -v 192.168.1.1 to see
> if port 8200 was open. it was.
>
> so, if "systemctl status minidlna" or "journalctl -b" shows no problems
> for minidlna then maybe test with nmap from both wired and wireless and
> see if there is a difference. If there is, then you have network config
> issue. the arch wiki page for minidlna has a section about wireless in
> the troubleshooting section i notice.
>

Although I don't run minidlna over the wireless interface on the server I
use, and only use the wired interface, I presume that the key here may be
as you suggest that the lines in /etc/minidlna.conf near the start of the
file that are relevant, which in my case are:

 # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic
port=8200

# network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
#network_interface=eth0
network_interface=eth0

would need to include the correctly specified interface(s) for the server
running minidlna for the OP. I wonder what the latter line actually is for
that file in the problem machine?

--
mike c
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

arch general mailing list-2
Il 05/06/2017 23:11, Mike Cloaked via arch-general ha scritto:

> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 4:12 PM, ITwrx.org <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i just installed minidlna and got it working from vlc over wireless. it
>> didn't work at first. "systemctl status minindlna" showed that it wasn't
>> able to identify the network interface i provided. i have no idea
>> why(old method in minidlna?). i commented that line in config back out
>> and made sure minidlna could read my testing media directory and it
>> worked at that point. i used nmap -sS -sU -T4 -A -v 192.168.1.1 to see
>> if port 8200 was open. it was.
>>
>> so, if "systemctl status minidlna" or "journalctl -b" shows no problems
>> for minidlna then maybe test with nmap from both wired and wireless and
>> see if there is a difference. If there is, then you have network config
>> issue. the arch wiki page for minidlna has a section about wireless in
>> the troubleshooting section i notice.
>>
>
> Although I don't run minidlna over the wireless interface on the server I
> use, and only use the wired interface, I presume that the key here may be
> as you suggest that the lines in /etc/minidlna.conf near the start of the
> file that are relevant, which in my case are:
>
>  # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic
> port=8200
>
> # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
> #network_interface=eth0
> network_interface=eth0
>
> would need to include the correctly specified interface(s) for the server
> running minidlna for the OP. I wonder what the latter line actually is for
> that file in the problem machine?
>

Good morning,
Thanks to everyone for your support.
Seems the problem was different, as my router started acting really weird.
I just replaced it and MiniDLNA 'n stuff work flawlessly.
So, always replace defective routers. :P
Thanks again.

--
Giovanni Santini
My blog: http://giovannisantini.tk
My code: https://git{hub,lab}.com/ItachiSan
My GPG: 2FADEBF5
Loading...