Replace Gentoo mime-types with Fedora mailcap?

Replace Gentoo mime-types with Fedora mailcap?

arch dev mailing list
After seeing bug 54977[1] I've been investigating where our /etc/mime.types
comes from, and it's apparently from Gentoo[2] and hasn't been updated
since Oct 2012.

I would like to propose replacing mime-types with mailcap from Fedora[3],
which is still maintained; it fixes the above bug. It also provides
/etc/nginx/mime.types (conflicts with upstream NGINX, but defines many more
types) and /etc/mailcap (not used by anything we have?).

Thoughts? Objections? Should we also use the mailcap NGINX mime.types?

[1]: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54977
[2]: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-misc/mime-types
[3]: https://pagure.io/mailcap/tree/master

Re: Replace Gentoo mime-types with Fedora mailcap?

Gaetan Bisson-2
[2017-11-22 19:24:20 +0000] Jan Alexander Steffens via arch-dev-public:
> I would like to propose replacing mime-types with mailcap from Fedora[3],
> which is still maintained; it fixes the above bug.

It's quite different from our current mime.types but sure let's try it.

> and /etc/mailcap (not used by anything we have?).

From what I can see it just calls xdg-open regardless of the mime type;
not sure that's very useful but it's certainly harmless.

Cheers.

Gaetan

Re: Replace Gentoo mime-types with Fedora mailcap?

Giancarlo Razzolini-2
Em novembro 22, 2017 17:24 Jan Alexander Steffens via arch-dev-public escreveu:
> After seeing bug 54977[1] I've been investigating where our /etc/mime.types
> comes from, and it's apparently from Gentoo[2] and hasn't been updated
> since Oct 2012.

I was not aware we had such old mime.types file. By the way, this .jpe bug always
intrigued me, but no to the point of chasing it down.

> I would like to propose replacing mime-types with mailcap from Fedora[3],
> which is still maintained; it fixes the above bug. It also provides
> /etc/nginx/mime.types (conflicts with upstream NGINX, but defines many more
> types) and /etc/mailcap (not used by anything we have?).
>
> Thoughts? Objections? Should we also use the mailcap NGINX mime.types?

I'm not sure if NGINX mime.types has anything that is required for it to function
properly. I can look into this, but if it doesn't, then both me and Bartłomiej, can
strip upstream's on our respective packages. How does fedora handles it?

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

Re: Replace Gentoo mime-types with Fedora mailcap?

arch dev mailing list
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 1:23 AM Giancarlo Razzolini <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Em novembro 22, 2017 17:24 Jan Alexander Steffens via arch-dev-public
> escreveu:
> > After seeing bug 54977[1] I've been investigating where our
> /etc/mime.types
> > comes from, and it's apparently from Gentoo[2] and hasn't been updated
> > since Oct 2012.
>
> I was not aware we had such old mime.types file. By the way, this .jpe bug
> always
> intrigued me, but no to the point of chasing it down.
>

> > I would like to propose replacing mime-types with mailcap from Fedora[3],
> > which is still maintained; it fixes the above bug. It also provides
> > /etc/nginx/mime.types (conflicts with upstream NGINX, but defines many
> more
> > types) and /etc/mailcap (not used by anything we have?).
> >
> > Thoughts? Objections? Should we also use the mailcap NGINX mime.types?
>
> I'm not sure if NGINX mime.types has anything that is required for it to
> function
> properly. I can look into this, but if it doesn't, then both me and
> Bartłomiej, can
> strip upstream's on our respective packages. How does fedora handles it?

AFAICT Fedora ships the NGINX mime.types in a separate package that's part
of a dep chain involving the rest of NGINX. I already have packages ready
that remove the mime.types and add a dependency on mailcap.