Replacing qt5-webkit

Antonio Rojas-2
Continuing with the trend of replacing insecure packages: qt5-webkit has
been deprecated upstream for a long time already. It is still being
community released, but it is on life support with only build fixes, and
the webkit code itself hasn't been updated since 2013, so it's plagued
with security issues by now. The "official" replacement qtwebengine has
its own issues (eg. crashes on nouveau) and some projects are reluctant to
move to it.

In this case removing the package is out of the question, as some
important packages (such as Plasma) depend on it. Fontunately someone took
up the job of maintaining a fork [1] based on the latest webkit code. The
aim is to have this shipped with upstream Qt eventually, but that could
still be many months away.

I've packaged this fork as qt5-webkit-ng. It should be a drop-in
replacement for qt5-webkit, please test it and if it's good enough we can
consider replacing the old qt5-webkit package with it.

[1] https://github.com/annulen/webkit/wiki

Re: Replacing qt5-webkit

Antonio Rojas-2
El Sat, 21 Jan 2017 13:37:40 +0000, Antonio Rojas escribió:

> Continuing with the trend of replacing insecure packages: qt5-webkit has
> been deprecated upstream for a long time already. It is still being
> community released, but it is on life support with only build fixes, and
> the webkit code itself hasn't been updated since 2013, so it's plagued
> with security issues by now. The "official" replacement qtwebengine has
> its own issues (eg. crashes on nouveau) and some projects are reluctant
> to move to it.
>
> In this case removing the package is out of the question, as some
> important packages (such as Plasma) depend on it. Fontunately someone
> took up the job of maintaining a fork [1] based on the latest webkit
> code. The aim is to have this shipped with upstream Qt eventually, but
> that could still be many months away.
>
> I've packaged this fork as qt5-webkit-ng. It should be a drop-in
> replacement for qt5-webkit, please test it and if it's good enough we
> can consider replacing the old qt5-webkit package with it.
>
> [1] https://github.com/annulen/webkit/wiki

Latest version 5.212.0 should have feature parity with the old qt5-webkit
and be ready to replace it. If there are no objections, I will add
replaces=(qt5-webkit) and drop the old insecure qt5-webkit in a few days.
Please give it some testing if you haven't done so yet.

Re: Replacing qt5-webkit

Antonio Rojas-2
El Wed, 14 Jun 2017 16:53:29 +0000, Antonio Rojas escribió:

> Latest version 5.212.0 should have feature parity with the old
> qt5-webkit and be ready to replace it. If there are no objections, I
> will add replaces=(qt5-webkit) and drop the old insecure qt5-webkit in a
> few days.
> Please give it some testing if you haven't done so yet.

Actually I just found out from the developer that his fork has been merged
in upstream Qt already [1]. So I will simply update the qt5-webkit package
to his latest release instead of replacing it with -ng

[1] http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebkit.git/log/?h=5.212