Road to 5.1

Allan McRae
Hi all,

We have not had a release in a long, long time.  Lets fix that!

There is a substantial number of bugs tagged for a 5.1 release [1].
These were added when we were all younger and more optimistic about the
world...  I have added a 5.2 target, so we can start bumping some to a
future release.

Please reply here with anything you think is essential to the next
release - even better if you provide a patch!

Cheers,
Allan

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/roadmap/proj3

Re: Road to 5.1

dave reisner
On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 03:26:49PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have not had a release in a long, long time.  Lets fix that!
>
> There is a substantial number of bugs tagged for a 5.1 release [1].
> These were added when we were all younger and more optimistic about the
> world...  I have added a 5.2 target, so we can start bumping some to a
> future release.
>
> Please reply here with anything you think is essential to the next
> release - even better if you provide a patch!
>
> Cheers,
> Allan
>

> [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/roadmap/proj3

Can we fix extraction based on lookups of user/group so that the
nonsense that Arch has been subjected to via systemd-sysusers can be
fixed? This should be a simple matter of calling
archive_read_disk_set_standard_lookup(archive) prior to extraction. I
think agregory has a branch that he's been working on to do this.

Re: Road to 5.1

Andrew Gregory
On 01/09/18 at 09:00am, Dave Reisner wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 03:26:49PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have not had a release in a long, long time.  Lets fix that!
> >
> > There is a substantial number of bugs tagged for a 5.1 release [1].
> > These were added when we were all younger and more optimistic about the
> > world...  I have added a 5.2 target, so we can start bumping some to a
> > future release.
> >
> > Please reply here with anything you think is essential to the next
> > release - even better if you provide a patch!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Allan
> >

> > [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/roadmap/proj3
>
> Can we fix extraction based on lookups of user/group so that the
> nonsense that Arch has been subjected to via systemd-sysusers can be
> fixed? This should be a simple matter of calling
> archive_read_disk_set_standard_lookup(archive) prior to extraction. I
> think agregory has a branch that he's been working on to do this.

I do have a branch to use user/group names, but the change is not
simple.  It breaks alternate rootdir usage hard.  I haven't noticed
the systemd-sysusers nonsense myself and only caught bits of IRC
discussions, can you elaborate on exactly what the problem is?

apg

Re: Road to 5.1

Eli Schwartz-2
On 01/10/2018 09:29 AM, Andrew Gregory wrote:

> On 01/09/18 at 09:00am, Dave Reisner wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 03:26:49PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have not had a release in a long, long time.  Lets fix that!
>>>
>>> There is a substantial number of bugs tagged for a 5.1 release [1].
>>> These were added when we were all younger and more optimistic about the
>>> world...  I have added a 5.2 target, so we can start bumping some to a
>>> future release.
>>>
>>> Please reply here with anything you think is essential to the next
>>> release - even better if you provide a patch!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Allan
>>>

>>> [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/roadmap/proj3
>>
>> Can we fix extraction based on lookups of user/group so that the
>> nonsense that Arch has been subjected to via systemd-sysusers can be
>> fixed? This should be a simple matter of calling
>> archive_read_disk_set_standard_lookup(archive) prior to extraction. I
>> think agregory has a branch that he's been working on to do this.
>
> I do have a branch to use user/group names, but the change is not
> simple.  It breaks alternate rootdir usage hard.  I haven't noticed
> the systemd-sysusers nonsense myself and only caught bits of IRC
> discussions, can you elaborate on exactly what the problem is?
users/groups work absolutely fine... just as long as we hardcode uids
for any files that need to be packaged with a specific user ownership.

And systemd-sysusers isn't really different from useradd in that respect
(we still hardcode uids in sysusers files).

But while trying to move to sysusers, we've hit "interesting" issues
like this: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/56818
It did not used to be a problem, until we started relying on systemd's
own basic.conf to create the "lp" user rather than hardcoding an id in
filesystem's /etc/group

But if we define our own sysuser with a hardcoded uid, then it will
clash with basic.conf...

Re: Road to 5.1

Andrew Gregory
On 01/10/18 at 09:58am, Eli Schwartz wrote:

> On 01/10/2018 09:29 AM, Andrew Gregory wrote:

> >> Can we fix extraction based on lookups of user/group so that the
> >> nonsense that Arch has been subjected to via systemd-sysusers can be
> >> fixed? This should be a simple matter of calling
> >> archive_read_disk_set_standard_lookup(archive) prior to extraction. I
> >> think agregory has a branch that he's been working on to do this.
> >
> > I do have a branch to use user/group names, but the change is not
> > simple.  It breaks alternate rootdir usage hard.  I haven't noticed
> > the systemd-sysusers nonsense myself and only caught bits of IRC
> > discussions, can you elaborate on exactly what the problem is?
>
> users/groups work absolutely fine... just as long as we hardcode uids
> for any files that need to be packaged with a specific user ownership.
>
> And systemd-sysusers isn't really different from useradd in that respect
> (we still hardcode uids in sysusers files).
>
> But while trying to move to sysusers, we've hit "interesting" issues
> like this: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/56818
> It did not used to be a problem, until we started relying on systemd's
> own basic.conf to create the "lp" user rather than hardcoding an id in
> filesystem's /etc/group
>
> But if we define our own sysuser with a hardcoded uid, then it will
> clash with basic.conf...

So Arch used a static GID, then accidentally switched to a dynamic
GID without the necessary install script update?  Seems easy enough to
fix by adding the relevant chown calls like every other package with
dynamic UIDs/GIDs.