Server Management Tools

Silvio Siefke
Hello,

Is there a way to automatically administer multiple arch Linux servers?
It's annoying to provide 20 servers daily with the same commands.
Are there possibilities to manage the daily tasks centrally and to
set them off automatically? I know there are tools like puppets but
they're too cluttered.

Thank you for help.

Silvio

Re: Server Management Tools

David Rosenstrauch
On 2017-10-12 11:48 am, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to automatically administer multiple arch Linux servers?
> It's annoying to provide 20 servers daily with the same commands.
> Are there possibilities to manage the daily tasks centrally and to
> set them off automatically? I know there are tools like puppets but
> they're too cluttered.
>
> Thank you for help.
>
> Silvio

cron + pssh?

Re: Server Management Tools

Chris Tonkinson-2
I like SaltStack.

Chris Tonkinson
https://chris.tonkinson.com/
610.425.7807

  "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan
next week."
  -General George S. Patton, Jr.

On 10/12/2017 12:00, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> On 2017-10-12 11:48 am, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a way to automatically administer multiple arch Linux servers?
>> It's annoying to provide 20 servers daily with the same commands.
>> Are there possibilities to manage the daily tasks centrally and to
>> set them off automatically? I know there are tools like puppets but
>> they're too cluttered.
>>
>> Thank you for help.
>>
>> Silvio
>
> cron + pssh?

Re: Server Management Tools

Giancarlo Razzolini-2
Em outubro 12, 2017 12:48 [hidden email] escreveu:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to automatically administer multiple arch Linux servers?
> It's annoying to provide 20 servers daily with the same commands.
> Are there possibilities to manage the daily tasks centrally and to
> set them off automatically? I know there are tools like puppets but
> they're too cluttered.

We use ansible to manage arch's servers:

https://git.archlinux.org/infrastructure.git

Ansible can be automated using pull, but there are other options as well.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

Re: Server Management Tools

Silvio Siefke
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:00:18 -0400
David Rosenstrauch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> cron + pssh?

Sounds good okay cron I not need but pssh sounds great. But at end I
become only

siefke@sisibox ~ $ pssh -h .config/pssh-hosts -P yaourt -Suy
[1] 20:03:54 [FAILURE] host1 Exited with error code 255
[2] 20:03:55 [FAILURE] host2 Exited with error code 255
[3] 20:03:55 [FAILURE] host3 Exited with error code 255
[4] 20:03:56 [FAILURE] host4 Exited with error code 255

Work it with SSH Keys and sudo?

Silvio

Re: Server Management Tools

Silvio Siefke
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:14:50 +0000
Giancarlo Razzolini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We use ansible to manage arch's servers:
>
> https://git.archlinux.org/infrastructure.git
>
> Ansible can be automated using pull, but there are other options as well.

Yes I was thinking for it but for yaourt -Suy is for me little overloaded.
But ok I will try it with the time. Thanks for link sure will help me.

Silvio

Re: Server Management Tools

Giancarlo Razzolini-2
Em outubro 12, 2017 15:07 [hidden email] escreveu:

> Yes I was thinking for it but for yaourt -Suy is for me little overloaded.
> But ok I will try it with the time. Thanks for link sure will help me.

If I knew that you wanted to automate yaourt, I would not even replied to
you in the first place.

You seriously consider unattended update of packages on servers a good practice?
On Arch? Good luck with that.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

Re: Server Management Tools

Silvio Siefke
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:52:39 +0000
Giancarlo Razzolini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You seriously consider unattended update of packages on servers a good practice?
> On Arch? Good luck with that.

Who say something from unattended? I want not only set 20 times the same
command. That's all.

On the arch server run nothing special. Mail, Web, DNS and VPN and
nothing on one alone.

Silvio

Re: Server Management Tools

arch general mailing list-2
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 09:31:25PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:52:39 +0000
> Giancarlo Razzolini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You seriously consider unattended update of packages on servers a good practice?
> > On Arch? Good luck with that.
>
> Who say something from unattended? I want not only set 20 times the same
> command. That's all.

And writing a bash script that ssh's in and does everything is sooo difficult?
If you can't do it, don't update machines automatically.

Leonid Isaev

Re: Server Management Tools

Op 12 okt. 2017 20:05 schreef "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:00:18 -0400
David Rosenstrauch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> cron + pssh?

Sounds good okay cron I not need but pssh sounds great. But at end I
become only

siefke@sisibox ~ $ pssh -h .config/pssh-hosts -P yaourt -Suy
[1] 20:03:54 [FAILURE] host1 Exited with error code 255

[...]

Good case, wrong solution, IMHO.

With remote execution, you want to use tested commands which only error if
there really is something wrong.

It's the cattle vs pets approach  (check Google, little time to type right
now). Yaourt is a "pet" problem.
A better approach would be to have a custom repro, where you place the
pkg's that were compiled  (and tested!) on a workstation/dev server.

When the actions become more complex, write a script and use pssh (or other
execution tool) to execute that script. The script should be able to handle
the small exceptions one can expect; ). At least, that is my preferred
modus operandi.

Just my two cents.

Mvg, Guus Snijders

Re: Server Management Tools

Karol Babioch

Am 12.10.2017 um 21:31 schrieb [hidden email]:
> Who say something from unattended? I want not only set 20 times the same
> command. That's all.

Look into clusterssh then. You'll get the output of all commands on all
servers and can interact with a only a single one, in case there are
unexpected errors.

Other than that orchestration is great (Ansible, Puppet, etc.), although
it takes more knowledge and experience.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Re: Server Management Tools

Bardur Arantsson
On 2017-10-13 21:14, Karol Babioch wrote:

> unexpected errors.

Indeed, this is the most terrifying of messages to ever appear.
You just ran a command across N machines, two of them failed. Ugh.

The *BEST* case is things like e.g. "apt-get update" failing because of
a spurious mirror resolution failure. (Or maybe the UDP DHCP query
failed for one or two or three of your hosts?.)

> Other than that orchestration is great (Ansible, Puppet, etc.), although
> it takes more knowledge and experience.

Choose this path.

(I have no idea of what's best, but almost *anything* is better than
"iterate through hosts and run command".)

Re: Server Management Tools

arch general mailing list-2
Well,

First you have shellscript, based on ssh client and gnu parallel.

Second you can write your own python script with paramiko and parallel
library

Third you can look to fabric (http://www.fabfile.org/)

Fourth, you can easely learn Ansible, which tends to become the #1 server
management tool under the strong marketing effort from Redhat.

More and more big company are leaving puppet and using Ansible, and now
they even opensourced Tower (look at awx)