TU for moving DDNet to community?

Rafael Fontenelle-2
Hello,

DDNet is a very fun sidescrolling game, similar to Teeworlds (DDNet is
actually a mod of Teeworlds). Since Teeworlds's development is very
slow and DDNet's development is very active, a lot of players migrated
to DDNet, which allows to play both gametypes of Teeworlds and many
others of DDNet.

Here is a fan-made trailer of DDNet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwyk4hPZM1g

Archwiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DDNet

This package is very easy to maintain, all dependencies are in
official repos, and most of its updates represent changes only in
pkgver and checksums. I'd be glad to see this package in community, if
possible, in order to reach users that avoid AUR.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ddnet/

Other related packages to consider:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ddnet-maps-git/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ddnet-skins/

Is there a TU that would like to adopt it and move it to community repo?

Feel free to ask me more info.

Best regards,
Rafael Fontenelle

Re: TU for moving DDNet to community?

tur-users mailing list
On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 12:44:27PM -0200, Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> DDNet is a very fun sidescrolling game, similar to Teeworlds (DDNet is
> actually a mod of Teeworlds). Since Teeworlds's development is very
> slow and DDNet's development is very active, a lot of players migrated
> to DDNet, which allows to play both gametypes of Teeworlds and many
> others of DDNet.

It has 5 votes on AUR, so it doesn't look very popular on Arch. Typical
guideline is at least 10 before uploading something to [community].

Alad

archlinuxcn actually carries it. Not sure if that is enough.

On 02/08/2018 10:45 AM, Alad Wenter via aur-general wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 12:44:27PM -0200, Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> DDNet is a very fun sidescrolling game, similar to Teeworlds (DDNet is
>> actually a mod of Teeworlds). Since Teeworlds's development is very
>> slow and DDNet's development is very active, a lot of players migrated
>> to DDNet, which allows to play both gametypes of Teeworlds and many
>> others of DDNet.
>>
> It has 5 votes on AUR, so it doesn't look very popular on Arch. Typical
> guideline is at least 10 before uploading something to [community].
Well, there is a git package as well, and between the two there are ten
voters. Many people don't vote for both the git package and the main
package, but would likely use the main package if it was in the repos.

That being said, none of this matters unless there is a TU either
interested enough to maintain it already (which hasn't happened?) or
interested in maintaining packages they don't use.

So, it would probably be best for Rafael to poke svenstaro directly as
he maintains a lot of gaming packages, including "teeworlds".

<[hidden email]>:
> It has 5 votes on AUR, so it doesn't look very popular on Arch. Typical
> guideline is at least 10 before uploading something to [community].
>
> Alad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it is a soft requirement (i.e.
could be ignored by the TU, if he/she wants to adopt it), reason why I
sent this email.   But Eli Schwartz got a point: with -git package's
vote it has more than 10 :-)

<[hidden email]>:
> archlinuxcn actually carries it. Not sure if that is enough.

archlinuxcn is an unofficial repository. I'd prefer it to go to
community as it is an official repository, to be also accessible for
those who use official repositories only.

<[hidden email]>:
> So, it would probably be best for Rafael to poke svenstaro directly as
> he maintains a lot of gaming packages, including "teeworlds".

Good idea. I sent and I'm waiting for a reply. Still, my request is
open to any TU that wants it.

Rafael Fontenelle

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 11:58:57AM -0200, Rafael Fontenelle wrote:

> <[hidden email]>:
> > It has 5 votes on AUR, so it doesn't look very popular on Arch. Typical
> > guideline is at least 10 before uploading something to [community].
> >
> > Alad
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it is a soft requirement (i.e.
> could be ignored by the TU, if he/she wants to adopt it), reason why I
> sent this email.   But Eli Schwartz got a point: with -git package's
> vote it has more than 10 :-)

In the case of less than 10 votes it has to be sent to this mailing
list, _and_ be approved by three other TUs.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Trusted_User_Guidelines#Rules_for_Packages_Entering_the_.5Bcommunity.5D_Repo

Whether this always happens in practice is a different question, since
the above article is part of the ArchWiki and not the TU Bylaws. I like
to think people follow this practice where they can anyway.

I'd say counting -git packages for the votes is a bit of a stretch, but
for those prefer doing so, be my guest.

Alad