TU (re-)Application

12

TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
Hi all,

Perhaps this is a bit unorthodox, but in 2011 I resigned from my post
as a TU for personal and time-related reasons [1]. Coming up on almost
7 years later, I'm still an avid Arch user, and have struck a balance
in my life where I'm much more capable of contributing to open-source
projects than I was back then.

The warm regards and well-wishes from my fellow TUs at the time [2][3]
have left an extremely positive impression on me, and I find myself
once again wanting to pick up some orphaned packages in [community]
(surprisingly, the MATE desktop is homeless). Therefore, I'm writing
this message to see if there's any interest in getting another helping
hand around here.

Sincerely,
Brad Fanella

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/aur-general@.../msg14906.htm
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/aur-general@.../msg14915.htm
[3] https://www.mail-archive.com/aur-general@.../msg14920.htm

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 02/09/2018 01:00 AM, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps this is a bit unorthodox, but in 2011 I resigned from my post
> as a TU for personal and time-related reasons [1]. Coming up on almost
> 7 years later, I'm still an avid Arch user, and have struck a balance
> in my life where I'm much more capable of contributing to open-source
> projects than I was back then.
>
> The warm regards and well-wishes from my fellow TUs at the time [2][3]
> have left an extremely positive impression on me, and I find myself
> once again wanting to pick up some orphaned packages in [community]
> (surprisingly, the MATE desktop is homeless). Therefore, I'm writing
> this message to see if there's any interest in getting another helping
> hand around here.
I never had a chance to know you when you were active before, but I'm
sure any TU Fellow would have little/no problems being re-elected,
certainly under the circumstances you've presented! :)

As for the MATE desktop, it has languished ever since Martin retired. I
used it myself for a little while after gnome2, before switching to
cinnamon... I've considered getting back in touch with the MATE side of
things and picking up the package set, but I'm still not sure I want to,
so if you would give it some much-needed love, that would be awesome!

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 01:25:05AM -0500, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:

> On 02/09/2018 01:00 AM, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Perhaps this is a bit unorthodox, but in 2011 I resigned from my post
> > as a TU for personal and time-related reasons [1]. Coming up on almost
> > 7 years later, I'm still an avid Arch user, and have struck a balance
> > in my life where I'm much more capable of contributing to open-source
> > projects than I was back then.
> >
> > The warm regards and well-wishes from my fellow TUs at the time [2][3]
> > have left an extremely positive impression on me, and I find myself
> > once again wanting to pick up some orphaned packages in [community]
> > (surprisingly, the MATE desktop is homeless). Therefore, I'm writing
> > this message to see if there's any interest in getting another helping
> > hand around here.
>
> I never had a chance to know you when you were active before, but I'm
> sure any TU Fellow would have little/no problems being re-elected,
> certainly under the circumstances you've presented! :)
>
> As for the MATE desktop, it has languished ever since Martin retired. I
> used it myself for a little while after gnome2, before switching to
> cinnamon... I've considered getting back in touch with the MATE side of
> things and picking up the package set, but I'm still not sure I want to,
> so if you would give it some much-needed love, that would be awesome!

It seems we have no clause in the TU Bylaws [1] on what to do if a
Fellow wants to resume his position as TU. That said, I doubt any of us
would object when we consider your email as the "application" and simply
start the vote after the usual discussion period (1 week) has ended.

Best,
Alad

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/trusted-user/TUbylaws.html

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
Em fevereiro 9, 2018 13:29 Alad Wenter via aur-general escreveu:

> It seems we have no clause in the TU Bylaws [1] on what to do if a
> Fellow wants to resume his position as TU. That said, I doubt any of us
> would object when we consider your email as the "application" and simply
> start the vote after the usual discussion period (1 week) has ended.
>
> Best,
> Alad
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/trusted-user/TUbylaws.html

I'm not sure if, in this case, he would need a sponsor or not. I don't
think we need to amend the bylaws to add this special case for a returning
TU, but I do think the standard procedure should be followed.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

Re: TU (re-)Application

Marcin Wieczorek
Giancarlo Razzolini via aur-general <[hidden email]> writes:
> I'm not sure if, in this case, he would need a sponsor or not. I don't
> think we need to amend the bylaws to add this special case for a returning
> TU, but I do think the standard procedure should be followed.

One of you TU's can sponsor him right away then, right?

Marcin Wieczorek

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 09:50:23PM +0100, Marcin Wieczorek wrote:
> Giancarlo Razzolini via aur-general <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I'm not sure if, in this case, he would need a sponsor or not. I don't
> > think we need to amend the bylaws to add this special case for a returning
> > TU, but I do think the standard procedure should be followed.
>
> One of you TU's can sponsor him right away then, right?

After taking a closer look, there's a few pain points.

* The originally sent email does not match the email Brad applied with
  in 2010. [1]
* There is no GPG signature, neither on the current application or the
  2010 application, as to remove doubts.
* The "itsbrad212" account is no longer present on AUR.
* The website on the archlinux.org TU Fellow page is no longer
  functional. [2]

There has been some recent activity on the "itsbrad212" forum account
(which was linked from the 2010 application), but I would not say this
is sufficient confirmation.

Alad

[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2010-August/010049.html
[2] https://www.archlinux.org/people/trusted-user-fellows/#bfanella

Re: TU (re-)Application

Marcin Wieczorek
Alad Wenter via aur-general <[hidden email]> writes:

> * The originally sent email does not match the email Brad applied with
>   in 2010. [1]
> * There is no GPG signature, neither on the current application or the
>   2010 application, as to remove doubts.
> * The "itsbrad212" account is no longer present on AUR.
> * The website on the archlinux.org TU Fellow page is no longer
>   functional. [2]
>
> There has been some recent activity on the "itsbrad212" forum account
> (which was linked from the 2010 application), but I would not say this
> is sufficient confirmation.
We're waiting for a PGP signed email then, nothing else. Many things may
have changed since 2010 (including PGP keys too). I suppose the idea of
re-applying involved other TUs. There must be someone to confirm
everything we're in doubt about.

Regards,
Marcin Wieczorek

Re: TU (re-)Application

> * The originally sent email does not match the email Brad applied
> with
>   in 2010. [1]
> * There is no GPG signature, neither on the current application or
> the
>   2010 application, as to remove doubts.
> * The "itsbrad212" account is no longer present on AUR.
> * The website on the archlinux.org TU Fellow page is no longer
>   functional. [2]
>
> There has been some recent activity on the "itsbrad212" forum account
> (which was linked from the 2010 application), but I would not say
> this
> is sufficient confirmation.

I understand your cause for concern, so I'd like to know if there is
any reasonable way to confirm my identity?

As mentioned by somebody else in this thread, a lot has changed since
2010, including PGP package signing in pacman. Every TU now has a
fingerprint that can eliminate doubt in situations like these, but I
wasn't quite around long enough for its universal adoption. My AUR
account was seemingly disabled due to inactivity (?), and I'd be hard-
pressed to keep a domain name for 8 years.

Thanks,
Brad

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 11/02/18 at 01:54pm, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:

>> * The originally sent email does not match the email Brad applied
>> with
>>   in 2010. [1]
>> * There is no GPG signature, neither on the current application or
>> the
>>   2010 application, as to remove doubts.
>> * The "itsbrad212" account is no longer present on AUR.
>> * The website on the archlinux.org TU Fellow page is no longer
>>   functional. [2]
>>
>> There has been some recent activity on the "itsbrad212" forum account
>> (which was linked from the 2010 application), but I would not say
>> this
>> is sufficient confirmation.
>
>I understand your cause for concern, so I'd like to know if there is
>any reasonable way to confirm my identity?
>
>As mentioned by somebody else in this thread, a lot has changed since
>2010, including PGP package signing in pacman. Every TU now has a
>fingerprint that can eliminate doubt in situations like these, but I
>wasn't quite around long enough for its universal adoption. My AUR
>account was seemingly disabled due to inactivity (?), and I'd be hard-
>pressed to keep a domain name for 8 years.

This email account is the same as the one linked to the Forum account:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/profile.php?id=33199

/J

--

http://jasonwryan.com/
GPG: 7817 E3FF 578E EEE1 9F64 D40C 445E 52EA B1BD 4E40

Re: TU (re-)Application

On 02/11/2018 02:54 PM, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:

>> * The originally sent email does not match the email Brad applied
>> with
>>   in 2010. [1]
>> * There is no GPG signature, neither on the current application or
>> the
>>   2010 application, as to remove doubts.
>> * The "itsbrad212" account is no longer present on AUR.
>> * The website on the archlinux.org TU Fellow page is no longer
>>   functional. [2]
>>
>> There has been some recent activity on the "itsbrad212" forum account
>> (which was linked from the 2010 application), but I would not say
>> this
>> is sufficient confirmation.
>
> I understand your cause for concern, so I'd like to know if there is
> any reasonable way to confirm my identity?
>
> As mentioned by somebody else in this thread, a lot has changed since
> 2010, including PGP package signing in pacman. Every TU now has a
> fingerprint that can eliminate doubt in situations like these, but I
> wasn't quite around long enough for its universal adoption. My AUR
> account was seemingly disabled due to inactivity (?), and I'd be hard-
> pressed to keep a domain name for 8 years.
Do you still have access to your archweb account? If so, you could
update that with your GPG key/new email address and post a confirmation
email signed with that key to this thread. :D

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
Do you still have access to your archweb account? If so, you could
update that with your GPG key/new email address and post a confirmation
email signed with that key to this thread. :D

I don't believe Archweb was even active when I was a TU, sadly. :(

I suppose the worst-case scenario would involve me reapplying in a more
formal way. Although assuming this was indeed a case of "identity theft,"
I'm not sure that would clear up doubts about malicious intent.

Brad

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 02/12/2018 02:28 AM, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:

> Do you still have access to your archweb account? If so, you could
> update that with your GPG key/new email address and post a confirmation
> email signed with that key to this thread. :D
>

> I don't believe Archweb was even active when I was a TU, sadly. :(
>
> I suppose the worst-case scenario would involve me reapplying in a more
> formal way. Although assuming this was indeed a case of "identity theft,"
> I'm not sure that would clear up doubts about malicious intent.
It's been around in some incarnation since 2007, and you have a
filled-in profile at
https://www.archlinux.org/people/trusted-user-fellows/#bfanella

So I assumed you must have at one point had access to it, even if it's
been long enough that you have forgotten and/or lost track -- I'm not
sure offhand what precise role it had at all stages Arch's history.

But there is also your BBS account mentioned in your original TU
application which jasonwryan confirmed is linked to this gmail address,
which seems to me to be a pretty reasonable indication that this email
address legitimately belongs to the same person. :)
(Thanks, Jason!)

Will have to see in the morning what everyone else thinks though. If you
could get in and update your archweb profile that would definitely be
preferable.

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
> It's been around in some incarnation since 2007, and you have a
> filled-in profile at
> https://www.archlinux.org/people/trusted-user-fellows/#bfanella
>
> So I assumed you must have at one point had access to it, even if
> it's
> been long enough that you have forgotten and/or lost track -- I'm not
> sure offhand what precise role it had at all stages Arch's history.

Thanks for the help/advice Eli. If I remember correctly, my profile was
filled out by sending the various pieces of information to an
administrator for posting on the site. If I do in fact have access to
archweb, it's not something I could easily get into unfortunately.

I can also prove ownership of the email account (bradfanella@archlinux.
us) that I sent my original application from in 2010, if that
corroborates my claim.

Re: TU (re-)Application

2018. 02. 12, 01.28, Brad Fanella via aur-general:
> I'm not sure that would clear up doubts about malicious intent.

Do you still have access to your bug tracker account? Can you update
your email address here?
https://bugs.archlinux.org/user/7923

--
György Balló
Trusted User

Re: TU (re-)Application

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 03:03:32AM -0600, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:

> > It's been around in some incarnation since 2007, and you have a
> > filled-in profile at
> > https://www.archlinux.org/people/trusted-user-fellows/#bfanella
> >
> > So I assumed you must have at one point had access to it, even if
> > it's
> > been long enough that you have forgotten and/or lost track -- I'm not
> > sure offhand what precise role it had at all stages Arch's history.
>
> Thanks for the help/advice Eli. If I remember correctly, my profile was
> filled out by sending the various pieces of information to an
> administrator for posting on the site. If I do in fact have access to
> archweb, it's not something I could easily get into unfortunately.
>
> I can also prove ownership of the email account (bradfanella@archlinux.
> us) that I sent my original application from in 2010, if that
> corroborates my claim.
Hello everybody,
I kind of feel uncomfortable with this. I think that somebody who has
resigned, is not able to sign his mails and seems to ignore requests of
doing so, should apply over the normal way like all others do. That
would just be fair to all newcomers. If I get this right there is no
reliable verification possible for his identity. We should really add a
rule for re-application in our TU-Bylaws.

Just my 2 cents,

Chris

Re: TU (re-)Application

Do you still have access to your bug tracker account? Can you update
your email address here?
https://bugs.archlinux.org/user/7923

Yes I do. I've just gone ahead and updated my bug tracker account to
reflect this, thank you.

 <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...] is not able to sign his mails and seems to ignore requests of
doing so [...]

Frankly I'm not quite sure what that would prove. If I don't have a known
signature on record, signing these emails doesn't do anything to verify my
identity. To imply that I'm "ignoring requests" is a bit disingenuous when
you consider that a PGP signature would change nothing here.

All the best,
Brad

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 03:52:04AM -0600, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:
> Frankly I'm not quite sure what that would prove. If I don't have a known
> signature on record, signing these emails doesn't do anything to verify my
> identity. To imply that I'm "ignoring requests" is a bit disingenuous when
> you consider that a PGP signature would change nothing here.
>
> All the best,
> Brad

Well, you could at least starting signing your mails with the next
email, even if it is a new GPG key. It's something that we expect from
TU-Applicants.. and I see no reason why you should excluded from this
expectation. That maybe sounds a little bit harsh, but in my opinion you
should re-apply on the normal way. I don't think there is a  contra against
re-applying like all others. I mean you were several years away, so I
don't think that 1-2 weeks on top of it will be bad.

chris

Re: TU (re-)Application

2018. 02. 12, 03.52, Brad Fanella via aur-general
ezt írta:
> Yes I do. I've just gone ahead and updated my bug tracker account to
> reflect this, thank you.

Thanks! :) Then I think the next step is to create a new account on
AUR, add your PGP fingerprint to your aurweb profile, and post a PGP-
signed message to this mailing list.

--
György Balló
Trusted User

Re: TU (re-)Application

Well, you could at least starting signing your mails with the next
email, even if it is a new GPG key. It's something that we expect from
TU-Applicants.. and I see no reason why you should excluded from this
expectation. That maybe sounds a little bit harsh, but in my opinion you
should re-apply on the normal way. I don't think there is a  contra against
re-applying like all others. I mean you were several years away, so I
don't think that 1-2 weeks on top of it will be bad.

I respect that decision and will proceed with the standard application
process, proper signatures and all. :)

On Feb 12, 2018 4:09 AM, "Balló György via aur-general" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks! :) Then I think the next step is to create a new account on
AUR, add your PGP fingerprint to your aurweb profile, and post a PGP-
signed message to this mailing list.

I appreciate the help, thanks again!

- Brad

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 04:18:45AM -0600, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:
> I respect that decision and will proceed with the standard application
> process, proper signatures and all. :)

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure that we atleast vote about your
re-application and it's nice btw that you want to adopt the MATE
packages :)

chris

12