TU (re-)Application

12

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 02/12/2018 04:36 AM, Christian Rebischke via aur-general wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I kind of feel uncomfortable with this. I think that somebody who has
> resigned, is not able to sign his mails and seems to ignore requests of
> doing so, should apply over the normal way like all others do. That
> would just be fair to all newcomers. If I get this right there is no
> reliable verification possible for his identity. We should really add a
> rule for re-application in our TU-Bylaws.

This whole thing is getting mildly elitist. I think Brad has proven to
everyone's satisfaction that he is who he says he is. And there is a
reason he was elected in the past. With that in mind, I'd like to
propose the following plan of action just to cover all our bases.

Brad, please create a new AUR account, as you will need one to interact
with the AUR for various TU duties if you are re-elected. (This is
independent of whether you maintain *any* packages in the AUR, which I
hope you will anyway, not that every current TU does).

Please start signing your emails with a PGP key, it is good practice,
and we will need your PGP key for the keyring and so forth if you get
re-elected.

Following which, I formally announce that on my prerogative as a TU, I
am sponsoring Brad as a new TU applicant whether he needs it or not.
The standard discussion period will commence from the time that email is
sent.

To whom it may concern: if a bunch of people decided someone has the
necessary skills 7 years ago, those skills will not vanish because of
time. Our standards are hardly super high anyway, and Brad's skills as a
packager can be judged relatively easily, by taking a look at his TU
packaging history at
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/?qt=author&q=bfanella
(I've looked, he seems to have done just fine. Yay!)

It is pretty easy to get up to date on actually relevant changes which
mostly boil down to "use the standard pacman hooks if possible, now that
pacman has hook support".

I do *not* feel comfortable expecting or demanding that Brad maintain a
few packages in the AUR first, unless we want to make the same rule
about currently active TUs. This application requirement is meant to be
an assessment of one's capabilities, which as a TU Fellow is not in
question.

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 02/12/2018 06:52 AM, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:

> Brad, please create a new AUR account, as you will need one to interact
> with the AUR for various TU duties if you are re-elected. (This is
> independent of whether you maintain *any* packages in the AUR, which I
> hope you will anyway, not that every current TU does).
>
> Please start signing your emails with a PGP key, it is good practice,
> and we will need your PGP key for the keyring and so forth if you get
> re-elected.
>
> Following which, I formally announce that on my prerogative as a TU, I
> am sponsoring Brad as a new TU applicant whether he needs it or not.
> The standard discussion period will commence from the time that email is
> sent.
Per Eli's email, I have gone ahead and created a new AUR account under
the alias "cesura" (my standard nick for the past few years). For
clarity's sake, I've also made my bugtracker account under the same
name. Based on the BBS policies, I don't believe a name change is
possible, and plan to keep "itsbrad212" on the forums for the time being
(as embarrassing as it may be).

This will be my standard PGP signature moving forward, and I have my
fingerprint set on the new AUR account. I'll use this email as an
extremely brief "application" of sorts, to potentially give a bit more
background and outline my immediate goals.

As some of you may already know, I was elected as a Trusted User back in
2010, and had a nice run of around 1000 svn commits (maybe exactly?). I
made the decision to step down as I did not feel like I had enough free
time to uphold my responsibilities. As a TU in 2018, there would be a
few projects that I'd like to tackle first, notably the MATE desktop and
a few other orphaned packages that have drifted away from upstream versions.

Lastly, thank you to Eli Schwartz for the sponsorship, and if there are
any outstanding questions for me, don't hesitate to ask.

Brad Fanella

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 02/12/2018 03:30 PM, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:
> Per Eli's email, I have gone ahead and created a new AUR account under
> the alias "cesura" (my standard nick for the past few years). For
> clarity's sake, I've also made my bugtracker account under the same
> name. Based on the BBS policies, I don't believe a name change is
> possible, and plan to keep "itsbrad212" on the forums for the time being
> (as embarrassing as it may be).

Not as a general rule, no, but if the forum mods are feeling nice then
the forum software does allow it. :)

Likewise, Bluewind can edit the bugtracker database.

Perks of being friendly with the people in charge. :D

> This will be my standard PGP signature moving forward, and I have my
> fingerprint set on the new AUR account. I'll use this email as an
> extremely brief "application" of sorts, to potentially give a bit more
> background and outline my immediate goals.
>
> As some of you may already know, I was elected as a Trusted User back in
> 2010, and had a nice run of around 1000 svn commits (maybe exactly?). I
> made the decision to step down as I did not feel like I had enough free
> time to uphold my responsibilities. As a TU in 2018, there would be a
> few projects that I'd like to tackle first, notably the MATE desktop and
> a few other orphaned packages that have drifted away from upstream versions.
>
> Lastly, thank you to Eli Schwartz for the sponsorship, and if there are
> any outstanding questions for me, don't hesitate to ask.
Sure thing, and I'm sure it will be awesome to have you back!

As a matter of curiosity, MATE is already a pretty big and worthwhile
task to handle, but what other orphans are you thinking of adopting?

Handy link to the list of currently orphaned Community packages, for the
curious:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?repo=Community&maintainer=orphan

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 02/12/2018 03:14 PM, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> Not as a general rule, no, but if the forum mods are feeling nice then
> the forum software does allow it. :)
>
> Likewise, Bluewind can edit the bugtracker database.
>
> Perks of being friendly with the people in charge. :D

Heh, sounds like I need to be making some calls then. ;)

> Sure thing, and I'm sure it will be awesome to have you back!
>
> As a matter of curiosity, MATE is already a pretty big and worthwhile
> task to handle, but what other orphans are you thinking of adopting?

Turns out that since my application, Antonio Rojas has stepped up to the
plate and updated MATE to version 1.20.0, so props to him! The whole
group is still orphaned though, so I would plan on pushing out future
updates when they come. There are no glaring holes in [community] right
now, which is fantastic; most of the other orphans are small utilities
and libraries with infrequent/discontinued releases, like cd-discid and
imlib (version 1).

Perhaps there are some packages that are becoming a burden on other TUs,
or AUR packages that deserve a spot in the official repos. Maybe you
have some recommendations?

Brad

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
El Mon, 12 Feb 2018 16:04:24 -0600, Brad Fanella via aur-general escribió:

> Turns out that since my application, Antonio Rojas has stepped up to the
> plate and updated MATE to version 1.20.0, so props to him! The whole
> group is still orphaned though, so I would plan on pushing out future
> updates when they come. There are no glaring holes in [community] right
> now, which is fantastic; most of the other orphans are small utilities
> and libraries with infrequent/discontinued releases, like cd-discid and
> imlib (version 1).

Actually I had already started updating it when you applied - so I
finished it instead of leaving it half-done. But yes, it's about time
someone stepped up to properly maintain it.

Re: TU (re-)Application

On 02/12/2018 05:04 PM, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:
> Turns out that since my application, Antonio Rojas has stepped up to the
> plate and updated MATE to version 1.20.0, so props to him! The whole
> group is still orphaned though, so I would plan on pushing out future
> updates when they come. There are no glaring holes in [community] right
> now, which is fantastic; most of the other orphans are small utilities
> and libraries with infrequent/discontinued releases, like cd-discid and
> imlib (version 1).

arojas does quite a lot of updating for orphaned packages like that. :)
He was updating Cinnamon as well, until I applied, and he was very
straightforward with me about "it would be great if someone who actually
uses the packages could maintain it since all I do is bump the pkgver
and try to see if it builds".

> Perhaps there are some packages that are becoming a burden on other TUs,
> or AUR packages that deserve a spot in the official repos. Maybe you
> have some recommendations?

I thought the idea here was to see what you are interested in, not what
I'm interested in. :p

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 02/12/2018 04:15 PM, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> I thought the idea here was to see what you are interested in, not what
> I'm interested in. :p

True, true. The packaging scene right now is both a blessing and a
curse: very few packages exist that don't have a maintainer, but at the
expense of having interesting things to work on from the get-go. Much
different than how I remember it, likely due to how many new faces we
have around here.

There are some python2-* and perl-* libraries that I've used that are
currently orphaned, so that could be another starting point, but for now
the short answer is: we'll see!

Re: TU (re-)Application

Jelle van der Waa-2
On 02/12/18 at 05:15pm, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:

> On 02/12/2018 05:04 PM, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:
> > Turns out that since my application, Antonio Rojas has stepped up to the
> > plate and updated MATE to version 1.20.0, so props to him! The whole
> > group is still orphaned though, so I would plan on pushing out future
> > updates when they come. There are no glaring holes in [community] right
> > now, which is fantastic; most of the other orphans are small utilities
> > and libraries with infrequent/discontinued releases, like cd-discid and
> > imlib (version 1).
>
> arojas does quite a lot of updating for orphaned packages like that. :)
> He was updating Cinnamon as well, until I applied, and he was very
> straightforward with me about "it would be great if someone who actually
> uses the packages could maintain it since all I do is bump the pkgver
> and try to see if it builds".
This is awesome, but we should have no issues with co-maintaining more
packages. Other packages mind be busy, on vacation, to update their
packages.

> > Perhaps there are some packages that are becoming a burden on other TUs,
> > or AUR packages that deserve a spot in the official repos. Maybe you
> > have some recommendations?
>
> I thought the idea here was to see what you are interested in, not what
> I'm interested in. :p

Would be indeed, nice to hear what your background is and what sort of
packages you would like to maintain and have experience with :)

--
Jelle van der Waa

Re: TU (re-)Application

On 02/12/2018 03:30 PM, Brad Fanella via aur-general wrote:

> On 02/12/2018 06:52 AM, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
>> Brad, please create a new AUR account, as you will need one to interact
>> with the AUR for various TU duties if you are re-elected. (This is
>> independent of whether you maintain *any* packages in the AUR, which I
>> hope you will anyway, not that every current TU does).
>>
>> Please start signing your emails with a PGP key, it is good practice,
>> and we will need your PGP key for the keyring and so forth if you get
>> re-elected.
>>
>> Following which, I formally announce that on my prerogative as a TU, I
>> am sponsoring Brad as a new TU applicant whether he needs it or not.
>> The standard discussion period will commence from the time that email is
>> sent.
>
> Per Eli's email, I have gone ahead and created a new AUR account under
> the alias "cesura" (my standard nick for the past few years). For
> clarity's sake, I've also made my bugtracker account under the same
> name. Based on the BBS policies, I don't believe a name change is
> possible, and plan to keep "itsbrad212" on the forums for the time being
> (as embarrassing as it may be).
>
> This will be my standard PGP signature moving forward, and I have my
> fingerprint set on the new AUR account. I'll use this email as an
> extremely brief "application" of sorts, to potentially give a bit more
> background and outline my immediate goals.
>
> As some of you may already know, I was elected as a Trusted User back in
> 2010, and had a nice run of around 1000 svn commits (maybe exactly?). I
> made the decision to step down as I did not feel like I had enough free
> time to uphold my responsibilities. As a TU in 2018, there would be a
> few projects that I'd like to tackle first, notably the MATE desktop and
> a few other orphaned packages that have drifted away from upstream versions.
>
> Lastly, thank you to Eli Schwartz for the sponsorship, and if there are
> any outstanding questions for me, don't hesitate to ask.
>
> Brad Fanella
Well, the discussion period was really over a couple days ago, whoops. :(

Anyway, the voting period has now officially begun, so cast your votes
everyone! https://aur.archlinux.org/tu/?id=104

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On 02/21/2018 07:06 AM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> Anyway, the voting period has now officially begun, so cast your votes
> everyone! https://aur.archlinux.org/tu/?id=104

Voting period is over, and the results are in!

Yes     No     Abstain     Total     Voted     Participation
23      7      8           38        Yes       82.61%

Congrats, you are now (once again) a TU! :) Welcome back!

I have upgraded your bugtracker and AUR accounts with the necessary
permissions.

Take a look at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Trusted_User_Guidelines#TODO_list_for_new_Trusted_Users
and take care of any remaining items.

Re: TU (re-)Application

tur-users mailing list
On Feb 28, 2018 08:40, "Eli Schwartz via aur-general" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

On 02/21/2018 07:06 AM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> Anyway, the voting period has now officially begun, so cast your votes
> everyone! https://aur.archlinux.org/tu/?id=104

Voting period is over, and the results are in!

Yes     No     Abstain     Total     Voted     Participation
23      7      8           38        Yes       82.61%

Congrats, you are now (once again) a TU! :) Welcome back!

I have upgraded your bugtracker and AUR accounts with the necessary
permissions.

Take a look at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Trusted_User_
Guidelines#TODO_list_for_new_Trusted_Users
and take care of any remaining items.

(Responding on mobile so no signature set up)

Thanks to Eli and the entire TU community! I'm hoping to be doing some good
work around here. :)

Regards,
Brad
12