Test repository with gcc8

arch dev mailing list
Hi all,

I've prepared external repository with GCC 8 built from trunk (as there
is no stable release yet) that also contains glibc 2.27 and binutils 2.30.

[gcc8]
Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~bpiotrowski/gcc8/

From less obvious packaging changes, glibc no longer ships with obsolete
rpc and nsl, which means that you should switch your packages to
libtirpc; also if your nsswitch.conf still contains "compat" instead of
"files", better fix it before reboot. If for some reason you still use
nsl, the repository also ships libnsl and libnsl_nis packages.

As usually, simple things build, and colossi like LibreOffice don't, but
I haven't had time yet to check why. If you found some issue, the best
would be to reply either here or arch-general.

Enjoy,
Bartłomiej

Re: Test repository with gcc8

arch dev mailing list
On 2018-02-04 14:02, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've prepared external repository with GCC 8 built from trunk (as there
> is no stable release yet) that also contains glibc 2.27 and binutils 2.30.
>
> [gcc8]
> Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~bpiotrowski/gcc8/
>
> From less obvious packaging changes, glibc no longer ships with obsolete
> rpc and nsl, which means that you should switch your packages to
> libtirpc; also if your nsswitch.conf still contains "compat" instead of
> "files", better fix it before reboot. If for some reason you still use
> nsl, the repository also ships libnsl and libnsl_nis packages.
>
> As usually, simple things build, and colossi like LibreOffice don't, but
> I haven't had time yet to check why. If you found some issue, the best
> would be to reply either here or arch-general.
>
> Enjoy,
> Bartłomiej

I have updated gcc in the repository to snapshot from 2018-02-11
(r257571). Additionally, if you have access to soyuz, the repo can be
easily used in build chroots with 'gcc8-x86_64-build' command (which
also enables [testing]).

Bartłomiej

Re: Test repository with gcc8

Baptiste Jonglez
On 13-02-18, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:

> On 2018-02-04 14:02, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've prepared external repository with GCC 8 built from trunk (as there
> > is no stable release yet) that also contains glibc 2.27 and binutils 2.30.
> >
> > [gcc8]
> > Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~bpiotrowski/gcc8/
> >
> > From less obvious packaging changes, glibc no longer ships with obsolete
> > rpc and nsl, which means that you should switch your packages to
> > libtirpc; also if your nsswitch.conf still contains "compat" instead of
> > "files", better fix it before reboot. If for some reason you still use
> > nsl, the repository also ships libnsl and libnsl_nis packages.
> >
> > As usually, simple things build, and colossi like LibreOffice don't, but
> > I haven't had time yet to check why. If you found some issue, the best
> > would be to reply either here or arch-general.
> >
> > Enjoy,
> > Bartłomiej
> >
> I have updated gcc in the repository to snapshot from 2018-02-11
> (r257571). Additionally, if you have access to soyuz, the repo can be
> easily used in build chroots with 'gcc8-x86_64-build' command (which
> also enables [testing]).
Nice, thanks!

Could you enable the password-less rules for sudo that are already setup
for extra-x86_64-build?  Currently gcc8-x86_64-build asks for a sudo
password, but most of us are not sudoers on soyuz (and don't need to be).

Baptiste

On 2018-02-13 15:19, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:

> On 13-02-18, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> On 2018-02-04 14:02, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've prepared external repository with GCC 8 built from trunk (as there
>>> is no stable release yet) that also contains glibc 2.27 and binutils 2.30.
>>>
>>> [gcc8]
>>> Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~bpiotrowski/gcc8/
>>>
>>> From less obvious packaging changes, glibc no longer ships with obsolete
>>> rpc and nsl, which means that you should switch your packages to
>>> libtirpc; also if your nsswitch.conf still contains "compat" instead of
>>> "files", better fix it before reboot. If for some reason you still use
>>> nsl, the repository also ships libnsl and libnsl_nis packages.
>>>
>>> As usually, simple things build, and colossi like LibreOffice don't, but
>>> I haven't had time yet to check why. If you found some issue, the best
>>> would be to reply either here or arch-general.
>>>
>>> Enjoy,
>>> Bartłomiej
>>>
>> I have updated gcc in the repository to snapshot from 2018-02-11
>> (r257571). Additionally, if you have access to soyuz, the repo can be
>> easily used in build chroots with 'gcc8-x86_64-build' command (which
>> also enables [testing]).
>
> Nice, thanks!
>
> Could you enable the password-less rules for sudo that are already setup
> for extra-x86_64-build?  Currently gcc8-x86_64-build asks for a sudo
> password, but most of us are not sudoers on soyuz (and don't need to be).
>
> Baptiste

Try now. My change may be overwritten as I didn't add it to our Ansible
playbooks but I cross my fingers to see 8.1.0 soon.

Bartłomiej

On 02/13/2018 09:29 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-dev-public wrote:

>>> I have updated gcc in the repository to snapshot from 2018-02-11
>>> (r257571). Additionally, if you have access to soyuz, the repo can be
>>> easily used in build chroots with 'gcc8-x86_64-build' command (which
>>> also enables [testing]).
>>
>> Nice, thanks!
>>
>> Could you enable the password-less rules for sudo that are already setup
>> for extra-x86_64-build?  Currently gcc8-x86_64-build asks for a sudo
>> password, but most of us are not sudoers on soyuz (and don't need to be).
>>
>> Baptiste
>>

> Try now. My change may be overwritten as I didn't add it to our Ansible
> playbooks but I cross my fingers to see 8.1.0 soon.
Would it be worth adding a sudoers configuration that allows any
/usr/bin/*-x86_64-build command? On the theory that that is a rather
specific script suffix, and is exceedingly unlikely to be created in
/usr/bin/ for any reason other than as a symlink to archbuild with a
corresponding /usr/share/devtools/pacman-*.conf (which is presumably
something that should always be allowed).

On 2018-02-13 16:13, Eli Schwartz via arch-dev-public wrote:

>>> Nice, thanks!
>>>
>>> Could you enable the password-less rules for sudo that are already setup
>>> for extra-x86_64-build?  Currently gcc8-x86_64-build asks for a sudo
>>> password, but most of us are not sudoers on soyuz (and don't need to be).
>>>
>>> Baptiste
>>>

>> Try now. My change may be overwritten as I didn't add it to our Ansible
>> playbooks but I cross my fingers to see 8.1.0 soon.
>
> Would it be worth adding a sudoers configuration that allows any
> /usr/bin/*-x86_64-build command? On the theory that that is a rather
> specific script suffix, and is exceedingly unlikely to be created in
> /usr/bin/ for any reason other than as a symlink to archbuild with a
> corresponding /usr/share/devtools/pacman-*.conf (which is presumably
> something that should always be allowed).

I'm not sure if it's worth it as the repo is only semi-official, and
besides I've had time only for a band-aid today. Also you know where the
infrastructure repo resides and I'll be more than happy to run 'git am'
your patch if you share it on #archlinux-devops.

Bartłomiej