Unstable: based on current or testing?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Unstable: based on current or testing?

bardo-2
I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't find it
though the archives. Is there a guideline that states which repo shoud
unstable be built on?

I tried xfce4-svn and some packages require the current version of
dbus, while I'm on testing, so I have some problems, unless I rebuild.
Moreover, yesterday a friend of mine told me that the unstable version
of bluez-utils was broken since it depended on dbus>=0.93. (BTW, today
I saw bluez-utils has been moved to current, and it still depends on
the testing version of dbus.)

If I'm going to use unstable, should I stay on testing or move back to
current? Or is it a "you chose unstable, fix it by yourself when it
doesn't work"?


bardo

_______________________________________________
tur-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/tur-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Unstable: based on current or testing?

Roman Kyrylych
2006/10/26, bardo <[hidden email]>:

> I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't find it
> though the archives. Is there a guideline that states which repo shoud
> unstable be built on?
>
> I tried xfce4-svn and some packages require the current version of
> dbus, while I'm on testing, so I have some problems, unless I rebuild.
> Moreover, yesterday a friend of mine told me that the unstable version
> of bluez-utils was broken since it depended on dbus>=0.93. (BTW, today
> I saw bluez-utils has been moved to current, and it still depends on
> the testing version of dbus.)
>
> If I'm going to use unstable, should I stay on testing or move back to
> current? Or is it a "you chose unstable, fix it by yourself when it
> doesn't work"?

IMHO Unstable should be based on Current when there's no reason to do otherwise.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)
_______________________________________________
tur-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/tur-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Unstable: based on current or testing?

Tom K-2
Roman Kyrylych wrote:

> 2006/10/26, bardo <[hidden email]>:
>  
>> I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't find it
>> though the archives. Is there a guideline that states which repo shoud
>> unstable be built on?
>>
>> I tried xfce4-svn and some packages require the current version of
>> dbus, while I'm on testing, so I have some problems, unless I rebuild.
>> Moreover, yesterday a friend of mine told me that the unstable version
>> of bluez-utils was broken since it depended on dbus>=0.93. (BTW, today
>> I saw bluez-utils has been moved to current, and it still depends on
>> the testing version of dbus.)
>>
>> If I'm going to use unstable, should I stay on testing or move back to
>> current? Or is it a "you chose unstable, fix it by yourself when it
>> doesn't work"?
>>    
>
> IMHO Unstable should be based on Current when there's no reason to do otherwise.
>
>  
Correct, Roman. Unstable packages should be built against Current/Extra.
If you are running Testing and wish to use an Unstable package, you will
have to rebuild it - I have done that with gaim-svn, for example.

The bluez-utils problem was a dev error, which I have now corrected.
Just to be clear, there never was an Unstable version of bluez-utils,
and there never would be - Unstable packages are always given unique
names so that they don't clash with similar packages in Current/Extra.
The bluez packages are now back in Extra where they belong, compiled
against dbus 0.62. The testing packages, compiled against dbus 0.93,
have been returned to Testing.

One small thing - this question would be better placed on the main Arch
ML, as it concerns packages in the official repos.

_______________________________________________
tur-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/tur-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Unstable: based on current or testing?

Thomas Bächler
Tom K schrieb:
> Correct, Roman. Unstable packages should be built against Current/Extra.
> If you are running Testing and wish to use an Unstable package, you will
> have to rebuild it - I have done that with gaim-svn, for example.

It is also possible to rebuild unstable packages against testing and put
them in testing. I did this for beryl-dbus-svn to support testing-dbus.
However, the xfce4-svn maintainer refuses to do this and only builds
against current/extra.

It doesn't matter now, as dbus has moved to current, and xfce4-svn will
be compatible with the new dbus after the next rebuild.

_______________________________________________
tur-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/tur-users
Loading...