Upgrade path to new build

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Upgrade path to new build

Bart Haezeleer
Hi,

I recently installed 2 machines, 'home servers' with a 686 build.
Will there be an upgrade path provided or do I have to reinstall both
machines?

regards,
Bart
_______________________________________________
arch-ports mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-ports
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade path to new build

Erich Eckner
Hi Bart,

if everything works as I imagine, then the "upgrade path" will be to
replace your /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist by one which only includes
something like mirror.archlinux32.org. But the details still have to be
sorted out.

Reinstall should not be necessary, since we will compile from the
"original" PKGBUILDs for i686, but will adopt any future updates from
x86_64 to i686. So in the beginning it should[1] be exactly as archlinux
for i686 is now.

cheers,
Erich

1] modulo any unforseen problems, of course ;-)

On 29.03.2017 11:24, Bart Haezeleer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed 2 machines, 'home servers' with a 686 build.
> Will there be an upgrade path provided or do I have to reinstall both
> machines?
>
> regards,
> Bart
> _______________________________________________
> arch-ports mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-ports
>
_______________________________________________
arch-ports mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-ports
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade path to new build

Alexi Funkner
In reply to this post by Bart Haezeleer
Hi,

in case you want to upgrade your i686 system to a x86 one, there are
usually migration instruction on arch compatible websites. For example
this one is how to move from arch gnu/linux x86 to a completely free
distribution called parabola.

https://wiki.parabola.nu/Migration_from_the_GNU/Linux_distribution_of_Arch

moving to other architectures (for example i686 to x86, since ARM would
not make any sense) is completely analogous.

I really hope that I got your question right, and was able to help.

Best
Alex

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed 2 machines, 'home servers' with a 686 build.
> Will there be an upgrade path provided or do I have to reinstall both
> machines?
>
> regards,
> Bart

--
_______________________________________________
arch-ports mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-ports
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade path to new build

beest
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 11:14:25PM +0200, Alexi Funkner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in case you want to upgrade your i686 system to a x86 one, there are
> usually migration instruction on arch compatible websites. For example
> this one is how to move from arch gnu/linux x86 to a completely free
> distribution called parabola.
>
> https://wiki.parabola.nu/Migration_from_the_GNU/Linux_distribution_of_Arch
>
> moving to other architectures (for example i686 to x86, since ARM would
> not make any sense) is completely analogous.
>
> I really hope that I got your question right, and was able to help.
>
> Best
> Alex

So there are three problems here. The first is top-posting, please
avoid it in the future.

The second is the thinly-veiled distro sniping. Honestly, I would have let it go were it anything but Parabola.

Because what you're then doing is the third problem, encouraging them to go to a migration
page which reads thusly:

Step 1: Change your mirrors
Step 2: Replace your repos and packages
Step 3: Update your bootloader
Step 4: Congratulations, you're screwed because we didn't mention until
the post-installation blurb that you now have a free system without
non-free firmware and drivers and some of your hardware may now be
broken! Step 4 is to go out and buy a new wifi dongle and/or video card.

Libre distros are fine. This seems pretty ill-advised.
_______________________________________________
arch-ports mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-ports
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade path to new build

Alexi Funkner
In reply to this post by Bart Haezeleer


On 03/30/2017 02:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> in case you want to upgrade your i686 system to a x86 one, there are
>> usually migration instruction on arch compatible websites. For example
>> this one is how to move from arch gnu/linux x86 to a completely free
>> distribution called parabola.
>>
>> https://wiki.parabola.nu/Migration_from_the_GNU/Linux_distribution_of_Arch
>>
>> moving to other architectures (for example i686 to x86, since ARM would
>> not make any sense) is completely analogous.
>>
>> I really hope that I got your question right, and was able to help.
>>
>> Best
>> Alex
>>
>>
> So there are three problems here. The first is top-posting, please
> avoid it in the future.
>
> The second is the thinly-veiled distro sniping. Honestly, I would have let it go were it anything but Parabola.
>
> Because what you're then doing is the third problem, encouraging them to go to a migration
> page which reads thusly:
>
> Step 1: Change your mirrors
> Step 2: Replace your repos and packages
> Step 3: Update your bootloader
> Step 4: Congratulations, you're screwed because we didn't mention until
> the post-installation blurb that you now have a free system without
> non-free firmware and drivers and some of your hardware may now be
> broken! Step 4 is to go out and buy a new wifi dongle and/or video card.
>
> Libre distros are fine. This seems pretty ill-advised.

Hello,

What about inline? And why is bottom-posting better than top-posting?

I supplied the link, because it documented well how to migrate to
another arch like distribution, without booting a live medium, and going
through installation once again. It intended to be a guideline, rather
than a clear instruction what steps to follow. Line 10 of my reply
should have made it clear.

> Congratulations, you're screwed
Are we on 4chan here or something?

> some of you hardware may now be broken!
You don't believe this yourself, do you?

What's the third problem?

Kind regards
Alexi

--
_______________________________________________
arch-ports mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-ports
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bottom posting (was: Re: Upgrade path to new build)

David Phillips-2
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 09:28:49PM +0200, Alexi Funkner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What about inline? And why is bottom-posting better than top-posting?

Inline is fine, assuming you mean splitting each message up and inserting a
reply at the appropriate point. Bottom posting is often regarded to be
better than top posting. catb's page on top posting[1] sums it up nicely:

> >A: No.
> >Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?

Sometimes, inline is even better than bottom-posting, especially when you
are replying to a large email with a number of points you want to address.

> Kind regards
> Alexi

Thanks,
David

[1]: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

_______________________________________________
arch-ports mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-ports

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade path to new build

brainpower
In reply to this post by Alexi Funkner
On 30.03.2017 21:28, Alexi Funkner wrote:

>
>
> On 03/30/2017 02:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in case you want to upgrade your i686 system to a x86 one, there are
>>> usually migration instruction on arch compatible websites. For example
>>> this one is how to move from arch gnu/linux x86 to a completely free
>>> distribution called parabola.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.parabola.nu/Migration_from_the_GNU/Linux_distribution_of_Arch
>>>
>>> moving to other architectures (for example i686 to x86, since ARM would
>>> not make any sense) is completely analogous.
>>>
>>> I really hope that I got your question right, and was able to help.
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Alex
>>>
>>>
>> So there are three problems here. The first is top-posting, please
>> avoid it in the future.
>>
>> The second is the thinly-veiled distro sniping. Honestly, I would have let it go were it anything but Parabola.
>>
>> Because what you're then doing is the third problem, encouraging them to go to a migration
>> page which reads thusly:
>>
>> Step 1: Change your mirrors
>> Step 2: Replace your repos and packages
>> Step 3: Update your bootloader
>> Step 4: Congratulations, you're screwed because we didn't mention until
>> the post-installation blurb that you now have a free system without
>> non-free firmware and drivers and some of your hardware may now be
>> broken! Step 4 is to go out and buy a new wifi dongle and/or video card.
>>
>> Libre distros are fine. This seems pretty ill-advised.
>
> Hello,
>
> What about inline? And why is bottom-posting better than top-posting?
>
> I supplied the link, because it documented well how to migrate to
> another arch like distribution, without booting a live medium, and going
> through installation once again. It intended to be a guideline, rather
> than a clear instruction what steps to follow. Line 10 of my reply
> should have made it clear.
>
>> Congratulations, you're screwed
> Are we on 4chan here or something?
>
>> some of you hardware may now be broken!
> You don't believe this yourself, do you?
>
> What's the third problem?
>
> Kind regards
> Alexi
>
Hi!

The main issue I have with this is you posting third-party links when
archwiki already has an article which covers migrating:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Migrating_between_architectures

This is a list for and about Arch Linux, not one of it's derivates.
And to solve the problem there is no need to switch to another distro.

Especially without explicit warning about possible downsides,
like incompatible Hardware in this case.

Don't misunderstand:
I've got no problem with that or any particular distro,
the idea it represents is good,
but everyone should be free to decide for themselves if they want it
and if their commitment to Stallman's ideas is strong enough to accept
any possible downsides (which should be known beforehand!).

Additionally you should also consider, that
if someone does the switch without having heard of the downsides and the
hardware does not work anymore, it will present that distro in a bad
light... You probably don't want that.


About top-posting:
The reason is simple, there is a rule for Arch's mailing lists:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct#Top_posting

Other lists may have other rules, but this one has those.
So please respect that and adhere to them.

If you want to discuss them, go to arch-general.
Here's not the place for that.

--
regards,
brainpower


--
regards,
brainpower


_______________________________________________
arch-ports mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-ports

signature.asc (883 bytes) Download Attachment