Variable execution time for pacman -Qdt?

Variable execution time for pacman -Qdt?

Will S
I have noticed that the first time I run pacman -Qdt after not running it
for a while it can take a variable amount of time -- usually at least 20
seconds and as long as one minute. If I run it again shortly after that it
completes in less than a second. Is there a simple explanation for this
variation? I have 1705 packages installed and pacman -Qdt lists 26.

The reason I'd like it to be fast is that yaourt calls this command before
a system update, so I get a 20-60 second lag before being prompted for my
password for sudo pacman -Syu.

Re: Variable execution time for pacman -Qdt?

Eli Schwartz-2
On 08/08/2017 05:44 AM, Will S wrote:
> I have noticed that the first time I run pacman -Qdt after not running it
> for a while it can take a variable amount of time -- usually at least 20
> seconds and as long as one minute. If I run it again shortly after that it
> completes in less than a second. Is there a simple explanation for this
> variation? I have 1705 packages installed and pacman -Qdt lists 26.
>
> The reason I'd like it to be fast is that yaourt calls this command before
> a system update, so I get a 20-60 second lag before being prompted for my
> password for sudo pacman -Syu.

Because the second time, /var/lib/pacman/local/ is in your HDD's disk
cache due to those files having been accessed so recently.

But that much lag is pretty unusual.