What files are tipically in /usr/local/share?

What files are tipically in /usr/local/share?

I've just accidentally deleted my '/usr/local/share' folder.
This happened while I was creating custom copies of launchers from
/usr/share/applications.

Now, if I understand it correctly, the '/usr/local' directory should
only contain files created by the user. In fact, I checked other
subdirectories (bin, etc, games, include, lib, man, sbin, src) and
they are all empty, except for a couple files I manually created in
'sbin' and 'lib'.

But, as I was almost sure that the 'share' dir specifically was _not_
empty before I started messing with it, I just ran 'pacman -Qkq' and
it reported '/usr/local/share/man' missing.
This was promptly fixed by reinstalling the 'filesystem' package.

But this has me wondering if there was something more important which
resides there.
Perhaps something generated by an application or script.

None of my backups include that directory, so I'm afraid this makes me
impossible to check for myself, other than installing/configuring
everything from scratch.

Can you guys clarify this for me?

In case it's relevant, my desktop stack has Cinnamon, LightdDM,
networkManager, Samba and other less important packages on top of a
standard Arch Linux setup.

Thank you,
Marc

Re: What files are tipically in /usr/local/share?

arch general mailing list-2
On 21 February 2018 at 09:21, Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi via arch-general
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just accidentally deleted my '/usr/local/share' folder.
> This happened while I was creating custom copies of launchers from
> /usr/share/applications.
>
> Now, if I understand it correctly, the '/usr/local' directory should
> only contain files created by the user. In fact, I checked other
> subdirectories (bin, etc, games, include, lib, man, sbin, src) and
> they are all empty, except for a couple files I manually created in
> 'sbin' and 'lib'.
>
> But, as I was almost sure that the 'share' dir specifically was _not_
> empty before I started messing with it, I just ran 'pacman -Qkq' and
> it reported '/usr/local/share/man' missing.
> This was promptly fixed by reinstalling the 'filesystem' package.
>
> But this has me wondering if there was something more important which
> resides there.
> Perhaps something generated by an application or script.
>
> None of my backups include that directory, so I'm afraid this makes me
> impossible to check for myself, other than installing/configuring
> everything from scratch.
>
> Can you guys clarify this for me?
>
> In case it's relevant, my desktop stack has Cinnamon, LightdDM,
> networkManager, Samba and other less important packages on top of a
> standard Arch Linux setup.
>

> Thank you,
> Marc

/usr/share that a lot of stuff in it. Quoting directly from `man hier`
"This directory contains subdirectories with specific application
data, that can be shared among different architectures of the same OS.
Often one finds stuff here that used to live in /usr/doc or /usr/lib
or /usr/man."

I would recommend you reinstall every package you currently have installed.

Re: What files are tipically in /usr/local/share?

Ismael Bouya
hello,

> But this has me wondering if there was something more important which
> resides there.
> Perhaps something generated by an application or script.

manually installed ca certificates? programs installed with make
install? if programs in /usr/local/bin work correctly then there was
nothing important :)

for distribution packages,
you may check pacman -Qo /usr/local or /usr/local/share, but I think the
list is almost empty
--
Ismael

Re: What files are tipically in /usr/local/share?

Dan Haworth
On 21/02/18 09:26, Morgan Adamiec via arch-general wrote:

> On 21 February 2018 at 09:21, Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi via arch-general
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just accidentally deleted my '/usr/local/share' folder.
>> This happened while I was creating custom copies of launchers from
>> /usr/share/applications.
>>
>> Now, if I understand it correctly, the '/usr/local' directory should
>> only contain files created by the user. In fact, I checked other
>> subdirectories (bin, etc, games, include, lib, man, sbin, src) and
>> they are all empty, except for a couple files I manually created in
>> 'sbin' and 'lib'.
>>
>> But, as I was almost sure that the 'share' dir specifically was _not_
>> empty before I started messing with it, I just ran 'pacman -Qkq' and
>> it reported '/usr/local/share/man' missing.
>> This was promptly fixed by reinstalling the 'filesystem' package.
>>
>> But this has me wondering if there was something more important which
>> resides there.
>> Perhaps something generated by an application or script.
>>
>> None of my backups include that directory, so I'm afraid this makes me
>> impossible to check for myself, other than installing/configuring
>> everything from scratch.
>>
>> Can you guys clarify this for me?
>>
>> In case it's relevant, my desktop stack has Cinnamon, LightdDM,
>> networkManager, Samba and other less important packages on top of a
>> standard Arch Linux setup.
>>

>> Thank you,
>> Marc
> /usr/share that a lot of stuff in it. Quoting directly from `man hier`
> "This directory contains subdirectories with specific application
> data, that can be shared among different architectures of the same OS.
> Often one finds stuff here that used to live in /usr/doc or /usr/lib
> or /usr/man."
>
> I would recommend you reinstall every package you currently have installed.
Just to add here, looking at my own local folder, I have only two
entries: "man" (which is a symlink to /usr/local/man) and "applications"
which contains just a few .desktop files for some locally installed
applications I have that didn't come from the official repos originally
(vmware-workstation, teamviewer and spotify).

You might not be as bad off as you think!

--dan

On 21 February 2018 at 09:26, Morgan Adamiec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 February 2018 at 09:21, Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi via arch-general
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just accidentally deleted my '/usr/local/share' folder.
>> This happened while I was creating custom copies of launchers from
>> /usr/share/applications.
>>
>> Now, if I understand it correctly, the '/usr/local' directory should
>> only contain files created by the user. In fact, I checked other
>> subdirectories (bin, etc, games, include, lib, man, sbin, src) and
>> they are all empty, except for a couple files I manually created in
>> 'sbin' and 'lib'.
>>
>> But, as I was almost sure that the 'share' dir specifically was _not_
>> empty before I started messing with it, I just ran 'pacman -Qkq' and
>> it reported '/usr/local/share/man' missing.
>> This was promptly fixed by reinstalling the 'filesystem' package.
>>
>> But this has me wondering if there was something more important which
>> resides there.
>> Perhaps something generated by an application or script.
>>
>> None of my backups include that directory, so I'm afraid this makes me
>> impossible to check for myself, other than installing/configuring
>> everything from scratch.
>>
>> Can you guys clarify this for me?
>>
>> In case it's relevant, my desktop stack has Cinnamon, LightdDM,
>> networkManager, Samba and other less important packages on top of a
>> standard Arch Linux setup.
>>

>> Thank you,
>> Marc
>
> /usr/share that a lot of stuff in it. Quoting directly from `man hier`
> "This directory contains subdirectories with specific application
> data, that can be shared among different architectures of the same OS.
> Often one finds stuff here that used to live in /usr/doc or /usr/lib
> or /usr/man."
>
> I would recommend you reinstall every package you currently have installed.

I misread /usr/local/share for /usr/share. You can disregard what I said.

Re: What files are tipically in /usr/local/share?

I belive that /usr/local is used for things that would normally go into /usr, or are overriding things that are already in /usr so /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin should show all (super) binaries that override those /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/share/bin:/usr/share/sbin

~ hasld [ D877A4BD345C85445CA3675EBBB05F0D58E3E018 ]

2018.02.21-T-09:29:01 ~ Ismael Bouya <[hidden email]> sent:

> hello,
>
> > But this has me wondering if there was something more important which
> > resides there.
> > Perhaps something generated by an application or script.
>
> manually installed ca certificates? programs installed with make
> install? if programs in /usr/local/bin work correctly then there was
> nothing important :)
>
> for distribution packages,
> you may check pacman -Qo /usr/local or /usr/local/share, but I think the
> list is almost empty
> --
> Ismael
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + signature.asc
>   1k (application/pgp-signature)

Re: What files are tipically in /usr/local/share?

arch general mailing list-2
Great. Looks like I'm alright, then.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Have you all a great day.