Quantcast

Where is the boot log?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Where is the boot log?

Madhurya Kakati
Hi,
I am facing some problems with alsa. During booting it shows some
errors. But I don't know how to copy those and paste them here. Can
someone please tell me where can I find the log file?
Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

Hector Martinez-Seara
Hi,
I had similar problem some time ago. My problem was with the general
alsa settings file that after an update had some problems. Maybe there
were some problems between versions. I solved this in two diferent
computers just reestaring the deamon:

$sudo /etc/rc.d/alsa restart

No errors when starting the PC anymore. By the way I was never able to
find any place where to look to the exact error and its appearance in
the screen was to quick. I think was something about alsactl command.
Hector

On 16 March 2011 05:55, Madhurya Kakati <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am facing some problems with alsa. During booting it shows some
> errors. But I don't know how to copy those and paste them here. Can
> someone please tell me where can I find the log file?
> Thanks.
>



--
Hector Martínez-Seara Monné
mail: [hidden email]
Tel: +34656271145
Tel: +358442709253
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

Florian Pritz-3
In reply to this post by Madhurya Kakati
----- Original message -----
> I am facing some problems with alsa. During booting it shows some
> errors. But I don't know how to copy those and paste them here. Can
> someone please tell me where can I find the log file?

There is none, but you can disable the terminal on the first tty in /etc/inittab.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

Richard Schütz
In reply to this post by Madhurya Kakati
Am 16.03.2011 04:55, schrieb Madhurya Kakati:
> Hi,
> I am facing some problems with alsa. During booting it shows some
> errors. But I don't know how to copy those and paste them here. Can
> someone please tell me where can I find the log file?
> Thanks.

That is likely a problem with the dump of the ALSA state. Remove the
file "/var/lib/alsa/asound.state" and run "/etc/rc.d/alsa stop" after
that. Then the current state is dumped into a fresh file and the error
should be gone.

--
Regards,
Richard Schütz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

Madhurya Kakati
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Richard Schütz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 16.03.2011 04:55, schrieb Madhurya Kakati:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am facing some problems with alsa. During booting it shows some
>> errors. But I don't know how to copy those and paste them here. Can
>> someone please tell me where can I find the log file?
>> Thanks.
>
> That is likely a problem with the dump of the ALSA state. Remove the file
> "/var/lib/alsa/asound.state" and run "/etc/rc.d/alsa stop" after that. Then
> the current state is dumped into a fresh file and the error should be gone.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Richard Schütz
>

ok I will backup /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and try it. I guess arch
should have a boot log. It is something every OS should have IMHO.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

Madhurya Kakati
In reply to this post by Hector Martinez-Seara
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Hector Martinez-Seara <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I had similar problem some time ago. My problem was with the general
> alsa settings file that after an update had some problems. Maybe there
> were some problems between versions. I solved this in two diferent
> computers just reestaring the deamon:
>
> $sudo /etc/rc.d/alsa restart
>
> No errors when starting the PC anymore. By the way I was never able to
> find any place where to look to the exact error and its appearance in
> the screen was to quick. I think was something about alsactl command.
> Hector
>
> On 16 March 2011 05:55, Madhurya Kakati <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am facing some problems with alsa. During booting it shows some
>> errors. But I don't know how to copy those and paste them here. Can
>> someone please tell me where can I find the log file?
>> Thanks.
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Hector Martínez-Seara Monné
> mail: [hidden email]
> Tel: +34656271145
> Tel: +358442709253
>

The error is actually something about HDA-intel not found and some
control nos like #13, #14, #15 etc cant be found or adjusted.
Something like that. I am not sure.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

Madhurya Kakati
In reply to this post by Richard Schütz
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Richard Schütz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 16.03.2011 04:55, schrieb Madhurya Kakati:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am facing some problems with alsa. During booting it shows some
>> errors. But I don't know how to copy those and paste them here. Can
>> someone please tell me where can I find the log file?
>> Thanks.
>
> That is likely a problem with the dump of the ALSA state. Remove the file
> "/var/lib/alsa/asound.state" and run "/etc/rc.d/alsa stop" after that. Then
> the current state is dumped into a fresh file and the error should be gone.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Richard Schütz
>

This solved my ALSA problem. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

SanskritFritz
In reply to this post by Madhurya Kakati
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Madhurya Kakati <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I guess arch should have a boot log. It is something every OS should have
> IMHO.
>

Isn't that dmesg? Or are you looking for something else?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

Richard Schütz
Am 18.03.2011 09:56, schrieb SanskritFritz:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Madhurya Kakati<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I guess arch should have a boot log. It is something every OS should have
>> IMHO.
>>
>
> Isn't that dmesg? Or are you looking for something else?

He is looking for the error output of the scripts that are executed
while booting. In his case it is the output of alsactl which is called
in "/etc/rc.d/alsa". That stuff is only printed to the terminal and does
not go to the kernel ring buffer.

--
Regards,
Richard Schütz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

btartsa
Scroll lock should work while booting.

Ben

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Richard Schütz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 18.03.2011 09:56, schrieb SanskritFritz:
>
>  On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Madhurya Kakati<[hidden email]
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  I guess arch should have a boot log. It is something every OS should have
>>> IMHO.
>>>
>>>
>> Isn't that dmesg? Or are you looking for something else?
>>
>
> He is looking for the error output of the scripts that are executed while
> booting. In his case it is the output of alsactl which is called in
> "/etc/rc.d/alsa". That stuff is only printed to the terminal and does not go
> to the kernel ring buffer.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Richard Schütz
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

SanskritFritz
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Ben Tartsa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Scroll lock should work while booting.
>
>
It does work, yes. But dont try it at my machine, where all messages float
by like lightning.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Where is the boot log?

Tomasz Paszynski
On 19/03/11 09:34, SanskritFritz wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Ben Tartsa<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Scroll lock should work while booting.
>>
>>
> It does work, yes. But dont try it at my machine, where all messages float
> by like lightning.
On this website:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disable_Clearing_of_Boot_Messages 
you can find plenty possible ways to do it.
Loading...