Xorg configuration on a dual graphic card system

Xorg configuration on a dual graphic card system

arch general mailing list-2
Hi there,

I'm trying to setup my xorg configuration on my dual graphic card desktop
system. The system has two cards, one iGPU Intel HD Graphics 530, another
is a dGPU Nvidia GTX 1070 on PCIe. I plugged one monitor to the iGPU port
and another to the dGPU port and let the motherboard boot from iGPU.

Right now, the fbcon works well on the iGPU, and I installed Nvidia
non-free driver, and would like to run X on dGPU. I used the nvidia-xconfig
to generate a Xorg configuration, and after starting Xorg, I got display
from the monitor connected to dGPU, but it seems that the 3D rendering on
that screen is software-based, and `glxinfo | grep vendor` showed that
libglvnd on that X environment is selecting mesa as the GL library to use.
With mesa being called on a dGPU connected screen, apparently it could not
find a correct device to do dri, and fell back to software rendering.

Does anyone know the proper way of config X so that libglvnd could know
which GL library to use correctly in this case?

Thanks,
K.H.

Re: Xorg configuration on a dual graphic card system

LoneVVolf
On 06-06-17 08:55, KangJing Huang via arch-general wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to setup my xorg configuration on my dual graphic card desktop
> system. The system has two cards, one iGPU Intel HD Graphics 530, another
> is a dGPU Nvidia GTX 1070 on PCIe. I plugged one monitor to the iGPU port
> and another to the dGPU port and let the motherboard boot from iGPU.
>
> Right now, the fbcon works well on the iGPU, and I installed Nvidia
> non-free driver, and would like to run X on dGPU. I used the nvidia-xconfig
> to generate a Xorg configuration, and after starting Xorg, I got display
> from the monitor connected to dGPU, but it seems that the 3D rendering on
> that screen is software-based, and `glxinfo | grep vendor` showed that
> libglvnd on that X environment is selecting mesa as the GL library to use.
> With mesa being called on a dGPU connected screen, apparently it could not
> find a correct device to do dri, and fell back to software rendering.
>
> Does anyone know the proper way of config X so that libglvnd could know
> which GL library to use correctly in this case?
>
> Thanks,
> K.H.

Hi,

first step is to stop using nvidia-xconfig .
For most people X doesn't even start with nvidia-xconfig created config.

Your system uses Hybrid Graphics intel + nvidia , when using nvidia
proprietary driver you basically have two options
Bumblebee or Optimus .

Check the wikipages for both to get an idea what's possible.

Le 06/06/2017 à 11:55, LoneVVolf a écrit :

> On 06-06-17 08:55, KangJing Huang via arch-general wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup my xorg configuration on my dual graphic card
>> desktop
>> system. The system has two cards, one iGPU Intel HD Graphics 530,
>> another
>> is a dGPU Nvidia GTX 1070 on PCIe. I plugged one monitor to the iGPU
>> port
>> and another to the dGPU port and let the motherboard boot from iGPU.
>>
>> Right now, the fbcon works well on the iGPU, and I installed Nvidia
>> non-free driver, and would like to run X on dGPU. I used the
>> nvidia-xconfig
>> to generate a Xorg configuration, and after starting Xorg, I got display
>> from the monitor connected to dGPU, but it seems that the 3D
>> rendering on
>> that screen is software-based, and `glxinfo | grep vendor` showed that
>> libglvnd on that X environment is selecting mesa as the GL library to
>> use.
>> With mesa being called on a dGPU connected screen, apparently it
>> could not
>> find a correct device to do dri, and fell back to software rendering.
>>
>> Does anyone know the proper way of config X so that libglvnd could know
>> which GL library to use correctly in this case?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> K.H.
>>
> Hi,
>
> first step is to stop using nvidia-xconfig .
> For most people X doesn't even start with nvidia-xconfig created config.
>
> Your system uses Hybrid Graphics intel + nvidia , when using nvidia
> proprietary driver you basically have two options
> Bumblebee or Optimus .
>
> Check the wikipages for both to get an idea what's possible.
Not exactly true here: this is a desktop, not a laptop. So things might
be a bit different (no PM at least).

I honestly never investigated this case in the libglvnd era, but there
might be tricky things going on.

Could you open a forum thread and post some logs (/var/log/Xorg.*.log
would be a good start) there, and link it here? I think this would be
easier than having this conversation per email.

Regards,
Bruno