archlinux install bottleneck

Jude DaShiell-2
After having run arch-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash one of the things I do is
to run alsactl store.
alsactl store returns error 125 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state no such file or
directory.  Certainly there's no such file since when alsa was run before
arch-chroot got run on system boot /mnt/var/lib/alsa directory was empty
having just run pacstrap on /mnt.  So since this is supposed to work,
could it be arch-chroot script fails to collect and pass along enough of
the right environment information to its chrooted environment for alsactl
store to run?  Details are available at:
information at:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=43f6670eb3bde26ad6491d2faa631625109f88d0

Re: archlinux install bottleneck

LoneVVolf
On 18-02-18 13:27, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> After having run arch-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash one of the things I do
> is to run alsactl store.
> alsactl store returns error 125 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state no such file
> or directory.  Certainly there's no such file since when alsa was run
> before arch-chroot got run on system boot /mnt/var/lib/alsa directory
> was empty having just run pacstrap on /mnt.  So since this is supposed
> to work, could it be arch-chroot script fails to collect and pass along
> enough of the right environment information to its chrooted environment
> for alsactl store to run?  Details are available at:
> information at:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=43f6670eb3bde26ad6491d2faa631625109f88d0

Kernel release:    4.13.3-1-ARCH

Looks like you are using an older iso to install ?
If so, have you tried with the 2018.02.01 iso ?

LW

Re: archlinux install bottleneck

Øyvind Heggstad
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 07:27:11 -0500
Jude DaShiell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After having run arch-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash one of the things I
> do is to run alsactl store.
> alsactl store returns error 125 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state no such
> file or directory.  Certainly there's no such file since when alsa
> was run before arch-chroot got run on system boot /mnt/var/lib/alsa
> directory was empty having just run pacstrap on /mnt.  So since this
> is supposed to work, could it be arch-chroot script fails to collect
> and pass along enough of the right environment information to its
> chrooted environment for alsactl store to run?  Details are available
> at: information at:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=43f6670eb3bde26ad6491d2faa631625109f88d0

As a sidenote: Why are you running alsactl store inside the chroot?

Re: archlinux install bottleneck

arch general mailing list-2
It is a step helpful for the totally blind who are using the Talking Arch installation system. Without it, getting speech working reliably is complicated.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 19, 2018, at 7:00 PM, Øyvind Heggstad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 07:27:11 -0500
> Jude DaShiell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> After having run arch-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash one of the things I
>> do is to run alsactl store.
>> alsactl store returns error 125 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state no such
>> file or directory.  Certainly there's no such file since when alsa
>> was run before arch-chroot got run on system boot /mnt/var/lib/alsa
>> directory was empty having just run pacstrap on /mnt.  So since this
>> is supposed to work, could it be arch-chroot script fails to collect
>> and pass along enough of the right environment information to its
>> chrooted environment for alsactl store to run?  Details are available
>> at: information at:
>> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=43f6670eb3bde26ad6491d2faa631625109f88d0
>>

> As a sidenote: Why are you running alsactl store inside the chroot?

Re: archlinux install bottleneck

Jude DaShiell-2
Because I want the sound card operational on first boot.  I have two
sets of speakers connected to the computer when I failed on that first
install.  So I disconnected the usb set and the install failed again
with the same error.  Finally after each install, I boot into arch and
don't hear grub beep or any sound after that.  It could be the torrent I
used was hacked since grub at least should have beeped even if the sound
card didn't work.  Now it's possible I may need to use the be my eyes
app on my iPhone to examine the screen for me to see if archlinux can't
for some reason find the sound card and was maybe asking for some
assistive input from me to get it going.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018, ?yvind Heggstad wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 07:00:58
> From: ?yvind Heggstad <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] archlinux install bottleneck
>
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 07:27:11 -0500
> Jude DaShiell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> After having run arch-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash one of the things I
>> do is to run alsactl store.
>> alsactl store returns error 125 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state no such
>> file or directory.  Certainly there's no such file since when alsa
>> was run before arch-chroot got run on system boot /mnt/var/lib/alsa
>> directory was empty having just run pacstrap on /mnt.  So since this
>> is supposed to work, could it be arch-chroot script fails to collect
>> and pass along enough of the right environment information to its
>> chrooted environment for alsactl store to run?  Details are available
>> at: information at:
>> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=43f6670eb3bde26ad6491d2faa631625109f88d0
>>

> As a sidenote: Why are you running alsactl store inside the chroot?

Re: archlinux install bottleneck

Jude DaShiell-2
I'll try that iso next and see if I get lucky.